June 20, 2018, 07:34:32 PM

Author Topic: Mark's Movie Reviews  (Read 2780 times)

Online marklawrence

• Administrator
  • HOF Member
Re: Mark's Movie Reviews
« Reply #30 on: May 05, 2018, 05:40:59 PM »
Tully

This is a movie about, um, it's about. . .  uh, ok, I'm not sure what it was about. Tully doesn't exactly have a plot. It's about how it feels to be a mother with a new infant and two other young kids. one of whom is difficult. And to be overwhelmed. At least that's what I think it's about. I'm better with physics and engineering than this feeling stuff. Anyway, if you have kids I imagine your wife will like it and you will survive it. If you don't have kids I can't imagine how you would relate. It's highly rated at rotten tomatoes, but that has to be nearly all women voting.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2018, 07:51:31 AM by marklawrence »
I'm a Deplorable Freeloader, clinging to my Guns and Bible! And Proud of it!

Online marklawrence

• Administrator
  • HOF Member
« Reply #31 on: May 13, 2018, 09:07:18 PM »
New movies this week are Breaking In, a suspense flick which looked implausible and so-so in the previews and is getting poor rotten tomatoes rankings. I'm not seeing it. And Life of the Party, an implausible comedy. I'm not big on comedies, I'm really, really, really not big on melissa mccarthy, and it's getting low rotten tomatoes rankings. I'm not seeing it. Not even for "free."

Online marklawrence

• Administrator
  • HOF Member
« Reply #32 on: May 14, 2018, 08:47:15 PM »
Overboard

this is a remake of the 1987 movie starring Kurt Russell and Goldie Hawn. In the original, Goldie is a rich b**ch living on a yacht; Kurt is a working man who comes aboard to fix some things and gets treated like dirt. Shortly afterwards Goldie falls off the yacht and washes ashore with amnesia. Kurt finds her, brings her home and turns her into a house keeper for him and his kids. Over the course of a month Goldie learns to cook, clean, be a mom, and everyone falls in love. Then she regains her memory, but. . .

Here we are, 30 years later, and the world has changed. This time it's the guy who's the rich boorish waste of time, and Anna Ferrell who's the poor struggling single mom. Guy falls off boat, amnesia, Anna turns him into a housekeeper and leaves him alone with her three daughters. Well, at least he's not a muslim refugee.. . Of course, as per the standard female dream, her love turns him into the perfect mate.

The original works because Kurt and Goldie were genuinely gorgeous people who also happened to be way in love in real life.

The new one, not so much.

Rent it and fall asleep while your wife watches it. Learn to hold her hand even while you're asleep. Don't have a wife? These are not the droids you're looking for. Move along. . .

Online marklawrence

• Administrator
  • HOF Member
« Reply #33 on: May 19, 2018, 07:07:04 AM »
Deadpool 2

A fun romp of profanity and gratuitous sex and violence. Lots of references to a lot of other movies. A thin plot that's the delivery truck for the one liners. Not quit as good as the original.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2018, 01:48:21 PM by marklawrence »

Online marklawrence

• Administrator
  • HOF Member
« Reply #34 on: May 19, 2018, 07:09:29 AM »
Moviepass has changed again. I now get an e-ticket, a number which I show the clerk, and I no longer have to photograph anything. My moviepass card stays in my wallet, it seems I no longer need it. I still can't see a movie more than once.

Online marklawrence

• Administrator
  • HOF Member
« Reply #35 on: May 26, 2018, 01:21:02 PM »
Solo: A Star Wars Story

ok, I was gonna see this one even if the reviews said half the audience died of boredom.

This movie was a disappointment for me. It hits all the right notes - Millennium Falcon, Lando Calrissian, Chewbacca, where Han got his name. We get the back story to everything. But it's two hours of more or less non-stop action. We never get a chance to get to know these characters, to empathize with them, to identify with them. The dialog is ok, but not really catchy. There isn't a lot of what you would call acting - everyone is too busy running from storm troopers or star fighters or black holes to exhibit any emotion. Of course the CGI and action are top notch. And, bonus points: no Jar-Jar. There's a couple "stunning" reveals, but the characters are too two dimensional for us to actually be shocked.

See this one for $1.50 from Redbox or Netflix.

Online marklawrence

• Administrator
  • HOF Member
« Reply #36 on: June 01, 2018, 05:42:32 AM »
Adrift

Another movie about being lost at Sea. I'm not a sailor, but even I can see the stupid beginner mistake these people make. The first rule of sailing is, if you can't make good knots, make a lot of them. The second rule is you're either inside the boat or you're tied to it. If you fall off a boat in deep water, you're dead.

Our heroes, a 33yo guy and his 24yo girlfriend, are sailing a boat from tahati to San Diego when they run into a hurricane. Which they handle badly. The boat gets nearly wrecked. The Pacific is a big place and there's not much there. They're in serious trouble. Low on food, water, and they don't even have a rain trap with them. Or know how to make one. (Hang some tarp, wait for rain to fill it up.)

Sorry, I suppose im to focus on the emotions of being nearly ship wrecked and not on the idiot decisions that got you there.

The theater was packed shoulder to shoulder with seven people. Perhaps there was a slightly bigger crowd for black panther.

Not worth $10.

If you want to know something about actual sailing, read the account my friend Paul lupus wrote about his around the world sail. Free. https://arachnoid.com/sailbook/index.html . That movie with Robert Redford a few years back was loosely based on my friend's book, except Paul was ready and there was neither drama nor loss of boat.

I dunno, I feel like the message here is bad things happen to good people, but the message I got was life threatening things happen to unprepared people who stupidly go into dangerous situations thinking it will be fun.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2018, 05:49:09 AM by marklawrence »

Online ricky

• HOF Member
« Reply #37 on: June 01, 2018, 06:28:04 AM »
If anyone wants to see a movie where something bad happens that is not the fault of the protaganist, but the main character acts with skill, resolution and determination, check out "All Is Lost". The ending is ambiguous, and there is virtually no dialogue, since this is literally a one man (Robert Redford) against bad luck and the sea movie. Or, for something with more action, see "Dead Calm", starring a then unknown Nicole Kidman.
"My hopes are not always realized, but I always hope." Ovid

Online marklawrence

• Administrator
  • HOF Member
« Reply #38 on: June 03, 2018, 09:15:28 PM »
Upgrade

This is death wish meets RoboCop. Greg lives in the near future. He and his wife are riding in his self driving car when it pulls a Tesla, gets all weird and crashes. Then they get mugged, wife gets dead, Greg gets a severed spine and he's a quad. Young genius puts a chip in him and he can walk, leaving him free to hunt down his wife's killers. There's a couple great plot twists, it actually turns out to be an engaging and imaginative story. a whole new take on Frankensteins monster. I liked it.

Online marklawrence

• Administrator
  • HOF Member
« Reply #39 on: June 07, 2018, 08:14:14 PM »
Ocean's 8

In 1960 Sinatra and friends put out a movie Oceans 11 about a gang that does an improbable heist. In 2001 George Clooney did a remake. This proved so popular it was followed by Ocean's 12 and Ocean's 13. Now, a decade later, Danny Ocean (Clooney) is dead, but his sister Debbie Ocean (Sandra Bullock) organizes a jewel heist at the Met. $300m worth of jewels.

If you liked Ocean's 11, you'll like this. It was well constructed, good acting and dialog, and no more improbable than the previous films. To my eyes, the only major plot fail is that there's a group of highly intelligent criminals in NYC who want to steal hundreds of millions of dollars, and they're not working for a hedge fund.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2018, 08:21:50 PM by marklawrence »

Online marklawrence

• Administrator
  • HOF Member
« Reply #40 on: June 09, 2018, 05:56:33 AM »
Hereditary

A horror film. I didn't really understand what happened, and that sentiment was echoed by several others in the audience. Toni Colette gives a great performance, at least as good as in the sixth sense. Other than that it's a bunch of poorly adapted people running into strange inexplicable supernatural events and reacting badly. Usually movies like this include a priest, but in this movie there's no good guys, only demons. It got a 98 at rotten tomato's, but I have no idea how. I shouldn't go to horror flicks, they really don't work for me.

Online marklawrence

• Administrator
  • HOF Member
« Reply #41 on: June 15, 2018, 07:40:14 PM »
Tag:

Based on a real story. Several guys play a game of tag every May for 30+ years. A surprisingly engaging and entertaining film. Jeremy Renner apparently broke both arms filming this, which, when you see it, you can believe.

Online marklawrence

• Administrator
  • HOF Member
« Reply #42 on: June 16, 2018, 08:17:25 PM »
Incredibles 2:

The best superhero movie of the year. Better than Avengers 3. Lotsa action, humor the kids will get, humor the adults will get. Everybody in the theater loved it. Just go see it.

The plot barely matters. It's almost immediately after the Incredibles. Super heros are illegal and are in hiding. Then a rich guy comes along and says he's going to get the law reversed. A super villain conveniently appears and the fight is on. Mr.Incredible and Elastic Girl are married and have three kids: a sullen teenage girl with powers, a pre-teen out of control boy with powers, and an infant with a *lot* of powers. The infant steals every scene he's in.

ok, now that I've slept on it, perhaps Thor was better. Perhaps.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2018, 08:52:47 AM by marklawrence »

Offline Cheesemaker

• Rookie
« Reply #43 on: Today at 12:46:43 PM »
Agreed with your initial take on Incredibles 2.  IMHO, it wasn't as good as the first, but the first was one of my all-time favorites, impossible to match.  With that said, this was excellent and a worthy sequel.