June 19, 2018, 02:35:12 PM

Author Topic: What Free Agents to pursue?  (Read 6900 times)

Online marklawrence

• Administrator
  • HOF Member
Re: What Free Agents to pursue?
« Reply #30 on: March 19, 2018, 04:13:06 PM »
even a kicker is a possibility, as Mason Crosby is 34 on 3rd Sept 2018.

Seems like most teams, especially us, have had more luck with street kickers than with drafted kickers. Not counting that fat guy in Oakland.
I'm a Deplorable Freeloader, clinging to my Guns and Bible! And Proud of it!

Offline Fargofootball

• Starter
  • Please get familiar with our Forums Rules & Guidelines.
« Reply #31 on: March 19, 2018, 05:09:05 PM »
Every mock I've done has GB with at least 3 corners and 1 or 2 safeties. So reinforcements are coming.

Up to 5 DBs looks like overkill to me. Two corners and a safety does not. Somewhere in the draft I'd like to see one or two wide receivers, one or two tight ends, one or two pass rushers, one or two offensive linemen (for example, one outside, one inside), then depending on what is available, backup QB, RB, DL, ILB, even a kicker is a possibility, as Mason Crosby is 34 on 3rd Sept 2018.

Not so sure you wont get most of that. 2 TEs is overkill as is a a practice squad QB. You need 3 solid CBs in this league and we might have 2 on the roster.

I think it will go something along these lines:

R1 LB (Likely Landry/Esch)
R2 14 Josh Jackson if we are lucky, otherwise Davis and if we get a 2nd from a trade add Harrison/Oliver/Reid in 2 also
R3 12 WR D Cain
R4 1 OT Jamaro Jones
R4 33 TE Schultz
R5 1 S Watts
R5 35 OLB  D Armstrong or G Demby
R5 37 CB JC Jackson
R6 12  WR Koutee
R6 33 DL J Jones
R7 14 CB Facyson
R7  21 ST/ OLB O'Daniel from Clemson or ILB D Luca

Rough estimate but the defensive backfield needs a real overhaul. This draft would cover most the other needs.
There are few to no viable pass rushers after Armstrong.
The draft is deep in CB and S so that's where the value is.
Covers most of what your looking for.
I would suggest Crosby is around for several years and a punter might be in the offering (kid from Texas)

Offline scoremore

• HOF Member
« Reply #32 on: March 19, 2018, 06:47:22 PM »
agree with most of this.  We have a nice punter in Vogel.  All good no need to draft one.  Crosby has a few more good years left.  Not a need either. DL is pretty much set unless a real value emerges late in the draft.  At least 4 picks should be used on DB's.  We have 12 picks the more bites at the apple the greater chance we'll find a few players.  Way I see it...

OLB 2
ILB 1
CB 2 or 3
S 1 or 2
WR 1 or 2
TE 1 or 2
OL 1 or 2
QB 1

Something along those lines.  Of course all are positions of need.  Possible a talented RB falls and we take him.  Same goes for DL.  Take several shots at CB.  Odds of finding a starter after the 3rd round are pretty slim however the more bites the better the chances increase. 

Back to FA not really seeing anything out there.  Possibly bring Burnett back if he strikes out in FA.  At this point if we want a good player be it a WR or CB we'll have to trade for them.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2018, 06:49:00 PM by scoremore »

Offline craig

• HOF Member
« Reply #33 on: March 19, 2018, 08:01:04 PM »
Fargo, I like your draft and think the front half is pretty realistic.  Edge-CB-WR-OL-TE are your picks through rounds 4; that seems entirely plausible. 

Once we're getting R5 37 and later guys, don't think those guys are going to contribute this season anyway.  Non-factor for this year.  If they are limited enough to be safe practice squad cuts, that's one deal.  But you can only keep so many red-shirt 6th rounders.

Not sure how much separation there will be between 6th and 7th round take-a-shot guys from this year, versus the UDFA take-a-shot guys from last year, like Pipkens and Donatello and Waters.  Maybe from quantity will come quality, and somebody will emerge above the others?  But might be kind of flip-a-coin guesswork as to who will eventually emerge; probably hard to tell based on small camp/exhibition observation.  And to some degree, some of the 2nd-year guys might have a little more familiarity so that *IF* they do need to get used this year, maybe they'd be a little more usable now?

But, that's kind of the nature with late-round picks at any position, I guess. 

Online marklawrence

• Administrator
  • HOF Member
« Reply #34 on: March 19, 2018, 08:48:49 PM »
12 picks is arguably too many - you can't absorb 12 rookies onto your team, and our PC will be raided if we try to stash real players there.

I expect gute to trade up a few times and make a total of perhaps 8 picks. I expect him to try to use multiple later picks to get another 2 or 3. Or perhaps trade up a couple places in the 1st, although that's harder to see.

I think we can all agree our #4 and #5 will stay. I think everything else is on the block.
I'm a Deplorable Freeloader, clinging to my Guns and Bible! And Proud of it!

Online OneTwoSixFive

• HOF Member
« Reply #35 on: March 20, 2018, 02:31:45 AM »
12 picks is arguably too many - you can't absorb 12 rookies onto your team, and our PC will be raided if we try to stash real players there.

I expect gute to trade up a few times and make a total of perhaps 8 picks. I expect him to try to use multiple later picks to get another 2 or 3. Or perhaps trade up a couple places in the 1st, although that's harder to see.

I think we can all agree our #4 and #5 will stay. I think everything else is on the block.

Mark, here is something we can come back to after the draft.
My prediction (not that different to yours, btw), is as follows (though it does rely on having partners who are willing to trade).

Trade down 4-5 spots in round 1.
Package lower picks to get up higher (or more picks) in rounds 2/3.
The first 4 picks are a combo of OLB, CB, WR, TE.
I expect 9 picks in total after the wheeling and dealing is done, four of them being in the first 101 picks.
I agree that at least the first pick in round 4 is not traded (due to the added value of being the first pick on day 3 of the draft).
« Last Edit: March 20, 2018, 02:35:46 AM by OneTwoSixFive »
(ricky) "Personally, I'm putting this in a box, driving a stake through its heart, firing a silver bullet into its (empty) head, nailing it shut, loading it into a rocket and firing it into the sun. "

(Pink Floyd) "Set the controls for the heart of the sun"

Offline craig

• HOF Member
« Reply #36 on: March 20, 2018, 08:45:39 AM »
12 picks is arguably too many - you can't absorb 12 rookies onto your team, and our PC will be raided if we try to stash real players there.....

Mark, I agree that the 53-man roster won't absorb 12 draft picks; but that doesn't preclude making 12 selections.  Between 53, PS, and IR, they can accommodate any/all of 12 selections that seem worth keeping.  They keep 12 or more rookies every year.

Six are really late selections.  You know you're not going to hit on many; but more likely to hit on one or two with six shots than with three.  So no need to get rid of bullets.

I view the "real six" picks through 5.1 as pretty much roster locks.  But the "deep 6" taken from 5.35-and-later are take-a-shots.

*IF* one or two looks impressive, you can easily fit them onto the 53.  Packer roster is very thin/shallow, so not hard to fit good prospects. 

Usually 6th/7th round talent who aren't impressive enough to win 53-man spots on weak Packers roster won't get poached from PS. 

Trade value for deep-6 picks is negligible.  If you add our top 5-comp pick to 4.1, maybe it moves you up 3-4 spots from maybe 101 to 97 or 98?  Trading any of our back-6 picks is going to make only small, incremental improvements in our earlier picks.  Doesn't change the landscape much.  (I love those kinds of moves; maybe it gets a guy who's a great fit and who our scouts love.  But still, picking 98 vs 101 doesn't really change the talent-plateau....  So I'm not sure how many of our back-6 picks are going to end up getting used in these incidental tradeups....) 

Offline craig

• HOF Member
« Reply #37 on: March 20, 2018, 08:51:06 AM »
.....The first 4 picks are a combo of OLB, CB, WR, TE. ..., four of them being in the first 101 picks. ...

That's a good perspective, similar to Fargo's.  I agree, in whatever order 3 of the first 4 will likely come from the OLB/CB/WR groups, with TE and OL also being among the first 6.   

Offline RT

• HOF Member
« Reply #38 on: March 20, 2018, 09:01:33 AM »
12 picks is arguably too many - you can't absorb 12 rookies onto your team, and our PC will be raided if we try to stash real players there.....

Mark, I agree that the 53-man roster won't absorb 12 draft picks; but that doesn't preclude making 12 selections.  Between 53, PS, and IR, they can accommodate any/all of 12 selections that seem worth keeping.  They keep 12 or more rookies every year.

Six are really late selections.  You know you're not going to hit on many; but more likely to hit on one or two with six shots than with three.  So no need to get rid of bullets.

I view the "real six" picks through 5.1 as pretty much roster locks.  But the "deep 6" taken from 5.35-and-later are take-a-shots.

*IF* one or two looks impressive, you can easily fit them onto the 53.  Packer roster is very thin/shallow, so not hard to fit good prospects. 

Usually 6th/7th round talent who aren't impressive enough to win 53-man spots on weak Packers roster won't get poached from PS. 

Trade value for deep-6 picks is negligible.  If you add our top 5-comp pick to 4.1, maybe it moves you up 3-4 spots from maybe 101 to 97 or 98?  Trading any of our back-6 picks is going to make only small, incremental improvements in our earlier picks.  Doesn't change the landscape much.  (I love those kinds of moves; maybe it gets a guy who's a great fit and who our scouts love.  But still, picking 98 vs 101 doesn't really change the talent-plateau....  So I'm not sure how many of our back-6 picks are going to end up getting used in these incidental tradeups....)

Good logic on all points craig. 12 picks isn't too many, it's just a numbers game in the late rounds. The more picks you have the more success you have, also the more failure you have. Give me 20 third day picks and if 5 workout it is an amazingly successful draft. Can't worry about the ones that don't make it. Just a numbers game.

Offline dannobanano

• HOF Member
« Reply #39 on: March 20, 2018, 06:47:23 PM »
Finding a veteran CB will come down to either Davon House or Tramon Williams (cuz he has played in Pettines defense @ CLEV)

Packers will draft two CB's to add to the others already on the roster.

Offline Shinesman

• HOF Member
« Reply #40 on: March 20, 2018, 07:40:55 PM »

If Edmunds or Smith falls to ten or eleven, expect him to be trying to move up.
"Tradition! Just because we've always done it that way, doesn't mean that it isn't incredibly stupid."

Offline Starr2Max

• Starter
« Reply #41 on: March 21, 2018, 10:12:19 AM »
Perhaps a touch off of the specific subject, but I wonder if there are any veteran CB's or OLB's out there we could trade for?  Say a team picks up a rookie in the first 3 rounds, making a vet expendable.  I wonder what one of our compensatory picks might be able to garner?  What about if we pick up Smith or Edmunds at 14, would Ryan be available as trade bait?

Offline dannobanano

• HOF Member
« Reply #42 on: March 21, 2018, 11:17:26 AM »
I'm staking my claim to Vander Esch at #14.

He has the versatility to play inside/outside, and he has all the measurables to become an impact player in GB.

Edmunds gets a lot of hype, and deservedly so, but Vander Esch is right there with him, IMO.

Offline dannobanano

• HOF Member
« Reply #43 on: March 23, 2018, 04:04:13 PM »
Finding a veteran CB will come down to either Davon House or Tramon Williams (cuz he has played in Pettines defense @ CLEV)

Packers will draft two CB's to add to the others already on the roster.

Well, T-Will is back, and the word is they are talking to House as well. So both may be playing in GB this year.

Actually, it would make sense to have two veterans in the fold in case the youngsters struggle in Pettine's new defense.

They should still draft two CB's. One early (for proven NCAA performance) and one later as a developmental prospect.

It's not like the Packers have no CB's on the roster. It's just that what they have is young-unproven-developmental personnel.

It would be akin to riding an unbroken horse in an Olympic equestrian event.

Offline phanatic1

• Starter
« Reply #44 on: March 23, 2018, 05:59:44 PM »
I am interested on how the visit with Jordan Matthews went. I am not sure he fits quite with what the Packers are looking for, but he certainly is a talent.  I was  a proponent for Terrell Pryor but the Jets snatched him up.  Not sure about guys like Eric Decker or Jeremy Macklin and if they have anything left in the tank.  But a veteran guy makes a lot of sense