June 20, 2018, 07:53:52 PM

Author Topic: What Free Agents to pursue?  (Read 6923 times)

Offline dannobanano

• HOF Member
Re: What Free Agents to pursue?
« Reply #60 on: May 10, 2018, 12:04:03 PM »
Just throwing this out there.................

https://twitter.com/FieldYates/status/994219451120865285?s=19

Since they don't count against 2019 comp picks anymore.............

Still need an Edge rusher?

UFA's........Connor Barwin, Willie Young, Aurther Moats, Lamarr Houston, Junior Galette, Jelani Jenkins

How about Right Tackle?

UFA's........Chris Clark, Byron Bell, Chris Hairston, Khalif Barns

Offline RT

• HOF Member
« Reply #61 on: May 10, 2018, 02:11:05 PM »
This date doesn't effect the Packers and several other teams in anyway. The Packers aren't in line to receive any compensatory picks in 2019 anyways, they could sign anyone at anytime without risking the loss of potential draft choices.

Offline dannobanano

• HOF Member
« Reply #62 on: May 11, 2018, 06:45:06 AM »

Offline craig

• HOF Member
« Reply #63 on: May 11, 2018, 09:29:53 AM »
Unless Mays has some tremendous camp, I don't see the purpose for keeping him, or a replacement for him.  Why do you need four running backs, unless the fourth is some exciting ascending prospect?  If they envision Mays as somebody with special talent who's got a shot to be something really good, I'd say use that roster spot for somebody else (CB, WR, o-line, TE, special teams, there are lots of places you might want to keep a potentially ascending young redshirt prospect.) 

Jones, Montgomery, and Wiliams are enough, in my book, so not interested in Perkins. 

Offline dannobanano

• HOF Member
« Reply #64 on: May 11, 2018, 12:30:44 PM »
Unless Mays has some tremendous camp, I don't see the purpose for keeping him, or a replacement for him.  Why do you need four running backs, unless the fourth is some exciting ascending prospect?  If they envision Mays as somebody with special talent who's got a shot to be something really good, I'd say use that roster spot for somebody else (CB, WR, o-line, TE, special teams, there are lots of places you might want to keep a potentially ascending young redshirt prospect.) 

Jones, Montgomery, and Wiliams are enough, in my book, so not interested in Perkins.

I suggest that because last year Montgomery ended up on IR again (2 time in 3 years), Williams missed 2-3 games with a groin/hammy?, and Jones missed another 3-4 games with a knee.
Mays, when pressed into service, fumbled on 2 of 4 carries, with 1 lost, and a total of 1 yds rushing.
I prefer not to have to use Ripkowski as the primary ball carrier if at all possible.
If Rodgers does not have a reasonable rushing threat in the backfield, the Packers passing game will be far-far less effective, because they will become a one dimensional offense.

Offline craig

• HOF Member
« Reply #65 on: May 11, 2018, 03:06:45 PM »
Yes.  That was a bad, injury-oriented season, and there still was no use for the 4th RB other than the couple of courtesy carries. 

Seems to me that the odds of all three of MOnty, Jones, and Williams being injured at the same time is somewhat modest, and of all three of them getting knocked out in the very same game is even less. 

Not sure if Mays is the guy you'd want, or if he's PS eligible?  But it would seem to me that the practice squad is the place to stick your #4 RB, and then call him up if/when 2/3 of the other three are injured. 

Offline dannobanano

• HOF Member
« Reply #66 on: May 11, 2018, 05:58:01 PM »
Yes.  That was a bad, injury-oriented season, and there still was no use for the 4th RB other than the couple of courtesy carries. 

Seems to me that the odds of all three of MOnty, Jones, and Williams being injured at the same time is somewhat modest, and of all three of them getting knocked out in the very same game is even less. 

Not sure if Mays is the guy you'd want, or if he's PS eligible?  But it would seem to me that the practice squad is the place to stick your #4 RB, and then call him up if/when 2/3 of the other three are injured.

I forgot about Joel Bouagnon being on the team!

He will be the 4th RB.
We're good!