June 21, 2018, 08:02:43 PM

Author Topic: Packers 1st draft choice  (Read 3650 times)

Offline OneTwoSixFive

• HOF Member
Re: Packers 1st draft choice
« Reply #30 on: April 24, 2018, 05:12:01 PM »
Do not rule out OT McGlinchey at 14.  Hes the best OT in this draft.  Can you really rely on Bulaga much longer???  Whoever is playing there at RT to start will likely be inexperienced and will get blocking help from Jimmy Graham who blocks as well as my Grandma.  I'm not liking that setup already.   McGlinchey might be a good investment for Rodgers future.  the D needs help bad, but.........   

I prefer Connor Williams to McGlinchey, though that does depend on him passing his medical.
(ricky) "Personally, I'm putting this in a box, driving a stake through its heart, firing a silver bullet into its (empty) head, nailing it shut, loading it into a rocket and firing it into the sun. "

(Pink Floyd) "Set the controls for the heart of the sun"

Offline phanatic1

• Starter
« Reply #31 on: April 24, 2018, 06:02:29 PM »
OK.  I trust you guys that Landry should be the pick.  But, as was just put out there, I don't think anyone should sleep on taking McGlinchey.  If someone takes Landry before 14 and a couple of the DB's go also - it may fall where he is the best value pick.  It won't be a sexy one, but penciling him in for the next 10 seasons at RT has to be considered. 

Offline dannobanano

• HOF Member
« Reply #32 on: April 24, 2018, 06:30:14 PM »
OK.  I trust you guys that Landry should be the pick.  But, as was just put out there, I don't think anyone should sleep on taking McGlinchey.  If someone takes Landry before 14 and a couple of the DB's go also - it may fall where he is the best value pick.  It won't be a sexy one, but penciling him in for the next 10 seasons at RT has to be considered.

Not that I'm against bookend pro-bowl type OT's, but where do they find the $$$ to afford to keep two guys like that?

On average two top OT's (left and right) will count (by current cap numbers) about $27M/year against your salary cap.

Online scoremore

• HOF Member
« Reply #33 on: April 24, 2018, 08:40:51 PM »

I am not as sold on Landry as others.  He'll be there at 14.  He's only 6'2 and has short arms.  Not a pro-typical OLB  by any means.  Can't set the edge either.  He's a situational pass rusher.  On a trade back OK but don't think he's worthy at 14.  Guys I like better  Edmunds, Smith, Ward, James, Vea, and Payne.  One of them will be there.  Could throw Davenport in there as well but don't think he's worthy at 14 either.  Given the choice I'd take Davenport over Landry.  Don't like either of them at 14 the edge class is weak and they will be over drafted by somebody.  Just hope it's not us.  Got to go BPA with the first pick.  Have to extract maximum value regardless of need. Only a couple of days we'll see what Gute does.  We are going to get a good player just hope he stays true to his  board. 

Offline RT

• HOF Member
« Reply #34 on: April 25, 2018, 05:35:11 AM »

I am not as sold on Landry as others.  He'll be there at 14.  He's only 6'2 and has short arms.  Not a pro-typical OLB  by any means.  Can't set the edge either.  He's a situational pass rusher.  On a trade back OK but don't think he's worthy at 14.  Guys I like better  Edmunds, Smith, Ward, James, Vea, and Payne.  One of them will be there.  Could throw Davenport in there as well but don't think he's worthy at 14 either.  Given the choice I'd take Davenport over Landry.  Don't like either of them at 14 the edge class is weak and they will be over drafted by somebody.  Just hope it's not us.  Got to go BPA with the first pick.  Have to extract maximum value regardless of need. Only a couple of days we'll see what Gute does.  We are going to get a good player just hope he stays true to his  board.

Completely agree with you on them taking the BPA regardless of what position he plays and I have no doubt that the Packers will do that. If it is any of the players you have mentioned or someone else that no one has mentioned, I am 100% behind the choice and can only conclude that is the best player left on their board. But I ask you, have you convinced yourself that if they choose Landry that they did not take the best player available? It is documented that I do believe he is one of the top players in this draft, if not the top player. And if the Packers have the chance to take him at 14 and pass I will gladly admit my error in thinking and embrace the choice.

To address a few of your comments about Landry. You state he has short arm, compared to what? His arms measured 32 7/8", compared to Via at 32 5/8" and is 2" taller than Landry. Payne at 33", 1/8" longer for a guy who is an 1/8" taller. Does that mean that both the DLinemen you mentioned also have short arms or maybe Landry really doesn't have short arms. You are correct in that he will probably begin as just a situational pass rusher and that is a nice luxury for the Packers to have for his rookie season. Can't set the edge? Don't know, people said the same thing about Von Miller during the draft process and he was smaller than Landry is. Edge rushers are QB's to the defense, they make everyone else better when you have an elite one. Time will tell, but I believe Landry could be an elite one.

It will be fun to watch and soon we will know.

Online scoremore

• HOF Member
« Reply #35 on: April 25, 2018, 06:53:31 AM »
Miller had an insane combine.  Guy ran a 4.42 in the 40.  About an inch taller and arms 3/4" longer.  Had a fully developed repertoire of pass rush moves as well.  Landry isn't even close to this guy.  View Landry as a one trick pony.  Think in the NFL he'll be neutralized.  Not sold on him think he'll bust out.  If Pack does take him I'll shut up and hope he becomes a terror. I wouldn't gamble on him at 14.  Honestly if we are going edge would rather spend a 2 on Carter he projects better in the NFL.

Offline RT

• HOF Member
« Reply #36 on: April 25, 2018, 08:44:21 AM »
Miller had an insane combine.  Guy ran a 4.42 in the 40.  About an inch taller and arms 3/4" longer.  Had a fully developed repertoire of pass rush moves as well.  Landry isn't even close to this guy.  View Landry as a one trick pony.  Think in the NFL he'll be neutralized.  Not sold on him think he'll bust out.  If Pack does take him I'll shut up and hope he becomes a terror. I wouldn't gamble on him at 14.  Honestly if we are going edge would rather spend a 2 on Carter he projects better in the NFL.

No need to shut up scoremore, back and forth debate is what forums are all about. As long as hard and strong takes are backed with facts and not just hyperbole, which is way to often the norm, much can be learned by by the information exchange.

I agree that at first Landry would be a 'one trick pony', but that one trick is the most important trick performed by defensive players in the NFL. Getting off the field with a 3rd down stop is something the Packers have failed badly at in recent years and pressuring the QB the first step in correcting that shortcoming.

http://www.nfl.com/combine/profiles/von-miller?id=2495202

You are correct in that Miller did have a very good combine, but Landry did also. Miller 4.53 in the 40 yard dash was the second fastest of the LBer's that year. Your concerns that Landry will be neutralized in the NFL are the same concerns echo'd about Miller before the draft. The partial comment in Miller's draft bio says, 'will struggle to disengage from bigger offensive tackles'. Really don't think either of them does or will struggle in that area. Speed off the edge kills and that cannot be coached, that is a gift. One more little stat I will share on Landry is not only does he get to the QB, but is also skilled at the strip sack with ten such plays to his credit at Boston College.   

Offline dannobanano

• HOF Member
« Reply #37 on: April 25, 2018, 12:50:15 PM »
I'll add one more thing regarding Landry here................

He put up 24 reps on the bench. That was impressive as well. Miller did 21. Dwight Freeney did 28.

So Landry has stength, speed, and explosiveness (Freeney 37", Miller 37", Landry 36") all in the same reasonable ranges as both Freeney and Vonn Miller (except Freeney's 40 time was in a class by itself at 4.48).

I may be on the Vander Esch bandwagon, but I would have no complaints about Landry as the first Packers pick this year.  thumbsup)

Online scoremore

• HOF Member
« Reply #38 on: April 25, 2018, 01:29:56 PM »
Oh also from Matt Miller on his podcast “Stick to Football”... 5 teams have removed LVE from their boards due to medical. Regardless what his agents say some teams are worried about his spine narrowing.

Offline dannobanano

• HOF Member
« Reply #39 on: April 25, 2018, 02:02:45 PM »
Oh also from Matt Miller on his podcast “Stick to Football”... 5 teams have removed LVE from their boards due to medical (did he list those 5 teams? Of course not, because they don't exist). Regardless what his agents say some teams are worried about his spine narrowing.

Score................It's the lying season. You know that!  ;D

That rumor about Vander Esch has been out there for weeks.

My guess is that either MN or the Steelers are pushing this story, maybe DAL too. The Steelers have been very public about their giant man crush for said LVE. And MN would also love to add another high caliber LB to their roster, as insurance in case they lose Anthony Barr to free agency next year. That's probably why Mayock has joined in on the hype. He's a vike fan to the core.
Tony Pauline has also debunked this vicious rumor.

Here's the skinny for you........................(spoiler alert! Stinger/pinched nerve)

http://www.profootballweekly.com/2018/04/16/way-we-hear-it-combine-medical-report-disputes-leighton-vander-esch-concerns/a45fktj/

PFW obtained a copy of the medical report from the NFL scouting combine showing that Vander Esch was given a passing grade for his health and was not asked to come back to the April medical re-check in Indianapolis, which very commonly happens when initial tests are concerning or inconclusive.

The combine medical report gave Vander Esch a medical grade of 4 out of a possible 5 — the lower the number, the more concerning the player's injury status is. A five would be a fully healthy player with no known medical issues; typically players are only red-flagged if they receiver lower than a 3 on the combine report.

This clears up some of the picture, as Boise State's coaching staff adhered to a policy of not revealing the specific nature of injuries for their players. Two scouts had mentioned to PFW previously Vander Esch's right knee injury, a grade-1 LCL sprain, which he suffered in August of 2016.

But it appears the more concerning injury was actually a neck impingement Vander Esch suffered in September of that year in a game against Oregon State and initially was diagnosed as a concussion. We spoke with a source who had knowledge of Vander Esch's medical history who told us that the concussion diagnosis was found to be incorrect after Vander Esch told the school's medical staff he was not suffering any concussion-like symptoms but rather pain in his neck.

Upon further evaluation, Vander Esch was found to have suffered a stinger — an extremely common injury among linebackers especially — and began wearing a neckroll thereafter once he returned to the field. Vander Esch later visited with a chiropractor, who quickly adjusted him, relieved the pain from the pinched nerve and helped clear his path to return to the field.

The actual wording of the combine medical report we received indicated the pinched nerve in the cervical area, and we've never heard of a prospect being medically red-flagged for that. The report indicates no structural damage was found, nor was there any evidence that Vander Esch suffered a significant concussion or any further head trauma in that incident almost 18 months ago.

Steelers and Vikes just trying to push a player down the board so they can get a shot at him. It's unethical IMO, but it goes on all the time. Doing this kind of garbage can cost a kid like LVE a lot of money, but teams like MN and Pitt don't give a crap about that.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2018, 02:50:37 PM by dannobanano »

Offline OneTwoSixFive

• HOF Member
« Reply #40 on: April 25, 2018, 02:26:27 PM »

Steelers and Vikes just trying to push a player down the board so they can get a shot at him. It's unethical IMO, but it goes on all the time. Doing this kind of garbage can cost a kid like LVE a lot of money, but teams like MN and Pitt don't give a crap about that.

Remember the projected upper first round pick, OT Laremy Tunsil in 2016. Pictures of him in a gas mask smoking a bong, surfaced just close enough to draft day to (potentially) scare teams off. Chances are it was a team trying to push him down the board to them. Not impossible it was the Miami Dolphins themselves (who drafted him) did that, but more likely it was a team a little further back in the draft. Nasty business.
(ricky) "Personally, I'm putting this in a box, driving a stake through its heart, firing a silver bullet into its (empty) head, nailing it shut, loading it into a rocket and firing it into the sun. "

(Pink Floyd) "Set the controls for the heart of the sun"

Offline The GM

• HOF Member
« Reply #41 on: April 25, 2018, 05:39:55 PM »
Here's a new one:  In Mike  Mayock's just released one and only mock draft the Packers take CB Jaire Alexander @14.  Josh Rosen went #15 to AZ.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2018, 05:41:35 PM by The GM »

Offline dannobanano

• HOF Member
« Reply #42 on: April 25, 2018, 06:12:58 PM »
Here's a new one:  In Mike  Mayock's just released one and only mock draft the Packers take CB Jaire Alexander @14.  Josh Rosen went #15 to AZ.

Nice player, but #14 is too early for him.

#20-#25 is a better range.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2018, 06:13:45 PM by dannobanano »

Offline ThatGuy284

• HOF Member
« Reply #43 on: April 25, 2018, 07:21:39 PM »

That was my choice on the first page of this thread.  I think he’s the top CB in the draft - Packers minimum height standards be damned.  I still prefer Edmunds, Davenport and Landry in that order but if they go the CB route he’s my man

Online scoremore

• HOF Member
« Reply #44 on: April 25, 2018, 08:58:21 PM »
Maylock is on drugs if he thinks Rosen is going to drop to 15.  If he's on the board when the Packers pick they would be in a position to get a kings ransom for #14.  And if they don't the Packers should take him.  Rosen won't get out of the top 5.  Think Warner is right.  Cleveland will take Allen at 1.  Giants Darnold at 2.  Jets Rosen at 3.  Not sure where Mayfield will go.  Would think top 10 but if I were a GM I'd pass.  Don't care how talented he is.  Too damn short.