August 18, 2018, 02:57:23 AM

Author Topic: Packers 1st draft choice  (Read 4213 times)

Offline Hands

• HOF Member
    • Uncover
Re: Packers 1st draft choice
« Reply #45 on: April 26, 2018, 05:59:22 AM »
If the draft board takes out Ward, Fitzpatrick,James,and Vea along with Smith, and Edmunds then the Packers may indeed trade back and either get Davenport/Landry later or stay put and take McGlinchey. Get the best OT and provide a solid back-up for that position. Let's face it Bulaga isn't going to start this year and Springs won't get on the field any time soon either. Unless you think Murphy is 100%...it's a real position of need.
In the land of the blind.....the one eye man is king!

Offline dannobanano

• HOF Member
« Reply #46 on: April 26, 2018, 06:11:22 AM »
Two words.................Adam Pankey.

Don't diss this kid. He was brought up from the PS on 9/13/17, and stuck to the roster.
6-5/313.
The size suits the RT position.

Offline RT

• HOF Member
« Reply #47 on: April 26, 2018, 06:43:53 AM »
If the draft board takes out Ward, Fitzpatrick,James,and Vea along with Smith, and Edmunds then the Packers may indeed trade back and either get Davenport/Landry later or stay put and take McGlinchey. Get the best OT and provide a solid back-up for that position. Let's face it Bulaga isn't going to start this year and Springs won't get on the field any time soon either. Unless you think Murphy is 100%...it's a real position of need.

We couldn't be on more opposite ends when it comes to that group. Murphy is already a 100%. I believe they will add some competition like most positionS, but not urgent need here. IMHO

Offline The GM

• HOF Member
« Reply #48 on: April 26, 2018, 07:10:28 AM »
NFLN's Bucky Brook's final mock has the Packers taking CB Mike Hughes @ 14. 

Offline ThatGuy284

• HOF Member
« Reply #49 on: April 26, 2018, 08:15:39 PM »
Winner...

Offline RT

• HOF Member
« Reply #50 on: April 26, 2018, 08:39:39 PM »

Offline Gregg

• HOF Member
« Reply #51 on: April 28, 2018, 05:38:00 AM »
Am I missing something?

We have now spent out last three top draft picks on cornerbacks.

Plus we have Williams and House.  Are we playing that much dime coverage this year?  Or is this all to counteract Kirk Cousins?

Offline Twain

• HOF Member
« Reply #52 on: April 28, 2018, 05:48:56 AM »
Am I missing something?

Plus we have Williams and House.  Are we playing that much dime coverage this year?  Or is this all to counteract Kirk Cousins?

It appears to me there was an attitude issue in the defensive backfield last year and they are rebuilding it with talented, high IQ, hard working accountable guys that have the skill set to play the coverages that Pettine uses.

I don't think it is cousins per se, but it seems like the young corners do match up better with guys like Diggs and Theilen.  Heck, even the Burks choice gives you a 6'3" linebacker that can run with Rudolph. 
« Last Edit: April 28, 2018, 05:54:46 AM by Twain »
"The trouble ain't that there are too many fools, but that the lightning ain't distributed right."

Offline RT

• HOF Member
« Reply #53 on: April 28, 2018, 06:02:58 AM »
Am I missing something?

It appears to me there was an attitude issue in the defensive backfield last year and they are rebuilding it with talented, high IQ, hard working accountable guys that have the skill set to play the coverages that Pettine uses.

I don't think it is cousins per se, but it seems like the young corners do match up better with guys like Diggs and Theilen.

Some may be reading too much into the Jackson selection, it is telling in a way, but Gute last night said that the plan was not to draft a CB last night. Jackson fell and their grade on him was to high for them to pass on him there. 

Offline dannobanano

• HOF Member
« Reply #54 on: April 28, 2018, 07:17:12 AM »
Am I missing something?

I don't think it is cousins per se, but it seems like the young corners do match up better with guys like Diggs and Theilen.

Some may be reading too much into the Jackson selection, it is telling in a way, but Gute last night said that the plan was not to draft a CB last night. Jackson fell and their grade on him was to high for them to pass on him there.

Right RT!

Talent meet Opportunity.

The future GB secondary has been pretty much set.

Boundary CB's = King and Jackson
Slot/Nickel CB = Alexander

Offline The GM

• HOF Member
« Reply #55 on: April 28, 2018, 07:20:36 AM »
Am I missing something?

I don't think it is cousins per se, but it seems like the young corners do match up better with guys like Diggs and Theilen.  Heck, even the Burks choice gives you a 6'3" linebacker that can run with Rudolph.

Its a passing league, you need corners, and slow LBs like Nick Perry and Jake Ryan have targets on their backs.  The future is the fast or hybrid LB like Shaq Thompson, Deion Buchanon.  The old run stuffer LBs role is being absorbed more by the DL and backed by more mobile hybrid player.  There is a place for the run stuffer in goal line or short yardage, but this league is changing fast to speed, speed and more speed.

In Burks, I think they are hoping he develops into a younger, cheaper more productive version of Morgan Burnett.  JMO.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2018, 07:42:06 AM by The GM »

Offline dannobanano

• HOF Member
« Reply #56 on: April 28, 2018, 08:12:03 AM »
Am I missing something?

Its a passing league, you need corners, and slow LBs like Nick Perry and Jake Ryan have targets on their backs.  The future is the fast or hybrid LB like Shaq Thompson, Deion Buchanon.  The old run stuffer LBs role is being absorbed more by the DL and backed by more mobile hybrid player.  There is a place for the run stuffer in goal line or short yardage, but this league is changing fast to speed, speed and more speed.

In Burks, I think they are hoping he develops into a younger, cheaper more productive version of Morgan Burnett.  JMO.

Bigger version too!

25 lbs bigger!