June 20, 2018, 07:42:54 PM

Author Topic: The Vikes have me worried  (Read 1403 times)

Offline Gregg

• HOF Member
The Vikes have me worried
« on: March 31, 2018, 06:44:46 PM »
They just got Kendall Wright.

Many, now they have a good slot guy to go with Thielen and Diggs.  With Cook and Murray at RB.  Last year they did a lot to shore up their OL.

Plus they have a good defense.

They will be tough to beat.

Online marklawrence

• Administrator
  • HOF Member
Re: The Vikes have me worried
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2018, 07:55:04 PM »
Worry implies uncertainty.

I guarantee the Vikings are winning the NFC North. They're the better team. Nothing to worry about
I'm a Deplorable Freeloader, clinging to my Guns and Bible! And Proud of it!

Offline Twain

• HOF Member
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2018, 06:31:52 AM »
The Vikings have done a good job of using their down years to build a solid well balanced team.  I agree, they have to be the favorite in the division, and one of the favorites in the NFC at this point.

As usual though, injuries in the NFL can change a lot as the season progresses.
"The trouble ain't that there are too many fools, but that the lightning ain't distributed right."

Online marklawrence

• Administrator
  • HOF Member
I'm a Deplorable Freeloader, clinging to my Guns and Bible! And Proud of it!

Offline RT

• HOF Member
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2018, 11:54:24 AM »
Worry implies uncertainty.

I guarantee the Vikings are winning the NFC North. They're the better team. Nothing to worry about

Whedonesque?!?

Online ricky

• HOF Member
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2018, 12:03:50 PM »
On paper the Vikes are tough on offense and defense. At least defensively, at least the last few years they have proven to be very formidable . That means little to nothing about this season. Injuries, as noted, are a big bugaboo. The Vikes last year caught lightning in a bottle. Remember, they were playing in a division where the best player was gone for most of the season; when they got a career year out of a career backup; and they needed a literal miracle to make it to the NFC championship game. And Philly needed a last minute defensive play to win the SB. And that was playing against a defense without Butler on the field. The only thing that is certain is that nothing is certain.

Anybody else remember when the Packes last wone the SB? They snuck into the playoffs, and then Rodgers took the team on his shoulders and propelled them to the SB. Which they won with a key defensive turnover at a crucial time. My goodness, if you want to look at a team that seems primed for a SB run, look at the Rams. On paper they have to be prohitive favorites. Which means...

"My hopes are not always realized, but I always hope." Ovid

Offline Gregg

• HOF Member
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2018, 11:29:09 PM »
Ricky, sometimes you have a long winded way of saying something that is kind of enigmatic.

To me, there is no doubt that Philly was the best team in the NFL last year, and they did it with a second team QB.

Minny won the division without their best RB and their third string QB. 

The Vikes now has a quite competent starter, with some experience.   And they have added a good DT to their already formidable line.  Plus, they have the money to sign another  FA.

Its one thing to be optimistic, but its another to underestimate your foes.

Online ricky

• HOF Member
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2018, 10:37:44 AM »
Ricky, sometimes you have a long winded way of saying something that is kind of enigmatic.

To me, there is no doubt that Philly was the best team in the NFL last year, and they did it with a second team QB.

Minny won the division without their best RB and their third string QB. 

The Vikes now has a quite competent starter, with some experience.   And they have added a good DT to their already formidable line.  Plus, they have the money to sign another  FA.

Its one thing to be optimistic, but its another to underestimate your foes.

I don't underestimate the Vikings. I just don't want to put them up there as the second coming of the '85 Bears. Sure, they've made some positive changes. Meanwhile, so have the Packers. But its always "other teams" that are getting better, while the Packers are almost in crisis mode. Take the longer view- how many times have teams been touted to be great, only to falter badly? Happens with Atlanta on a regular basis. Same with the Texans. Meanwhile, what about the Rams? On paper they look like shoo-ins for the SB. And your point about the backup QB's is very telling. How many wrote off Philly when Foles took over? The number of sprained ankles from people jumping off that bandwagon kept emergency rooms packed for days. So, Keenum is with the Broncos. Does that make them significantly better? Are they now more likely to make the playoffs?

My point remains the same: until the games are played, NO ONE knows how things will go. Rodgers will be back, and if fully healthy, will lead an improved offense. There have been some developments on the defensive side for the Packers, and the pass rush might be improved, which would have a domino effect on the pass defense. Will this happen? Hopefully. By all means, though, build up the other teams in the division if that makes you feel good. And, if you could please re-post where you wrote that Philly was going to the SB shortly after Wentz went down, it would be much appreciated.

Online The GM

• HOF Member
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2018, 12:49:00 PM »
Just a few short years ago, the Seahawks won a Super Bowl and were talking dynasty.  They were young and had the greatest defense in the NFL.  They signed Russell Wilson to a huge contract, Marshawn Lynch faded, and over the course of the next few years Wilson's contract and some injuries made it difficult to resign many of their key players.  Today the defense has been basically dismantled.    The window in the NFL is short.

Enter Kirk Cousins and his big contract with the Vikings,  a roster full of defensive players including Anthony Barr who will want to get paid in the next few years.   Sure, they could compete for the Super Bowl this year.  Is Cousins a legit post-season player?  Is Dalvin Cook's injury going to slow him down?   Lots of unknowns.  Remember, it literally took a miracle for them to beat the Saints.    They are good but you need some luck, and their window is short as well.       

Offline dannobanano

• HOF Member
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2018, 06:53:18 AM »
Vikes have a lot of key players who become UFA's next year. So they may be hoping to bank on the brass ring this year.

2019 Key UFA's:
Sheldon Richardson
Latavius Murray
Trae Waynes
Anthony Barr
Nick Easton
Eric Kendricks
Danielle Hunter
Stephon Diggs

https://overthecap.com/free-agency/minnesota-vikings/

Online ricky

• HOF Member
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2018, 10:54:57 AM »
Vikes have a lot of key players who become UFA's next year. So they may be hoping to bank on the brass ring this year.

A lot of tams do that, and if they fail, as they all too often do, they can set themselves back for years. The Rams are also loading up for a run. Only one team from the NFC will make it to the SB. So, one of (at least) "all in this year" teams will be sitting at thome. And its just as likely it could be both. How to make the SB? Get into the playoffs and get hot.

Oh, and Mark, I'm disappointed that you're already conceding the division to the Vikes. Seriously, that smacks of defeatism, or fatalism, or something else I don't usualy see in your posts. I hope everything is OK with you and yours.

Offline Hands

• HOF Member
    • Uncover
« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2018, 06:31:31 AM »
Green Bay's roster doesn't match-up to the Vikings....however they still have Rodgers at QB and he can mask a lot of problems. I don't think the Packers are as bad as we keep hearing. A QB starting 11 games that shouldn't even be on the roster has a way of showing all the weakness of the players w/o presenting any of the positives.
I'm not an anti-Capers guy, but I also realize that a change was needed and Green Bay has done two things that will make this team remarkable:
  • New pressure defense
    New play book
Those two items along with a healthy Aaron Rodgers will make Green Bay a contender and allow their LOFT factor be minimized.
In the land of the blind.....the one eye man is king!

Online ricky

• HOF Member
« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2018, 08:09:56 AM »
Green Bay's roster doesn't match-up to the Vikings....however they still have Rodgers at QB and he can mask a lot of problems. I don't think the Packers are as bad as we keep hearing. A QB starting 11 games that shouldn't even be on the roster has a way of showing all the weakness of the players w/o presenting any of the positives.
I'm not an anti-Capers guy, but I also realize that a change was needed and Green Bay has done two things that will make this team remarkable:
  • New pressure defense
    New play book
Those two items along with a healthy Aaron Rodgers will make Green Bay a contender and allow their LOFT factor be minimized.

The Packers also upgraded at TE, backup QB, DL, and possibly at CB. So far. The rosters of every team are still in flux, and will be changing constantly even after "final cuts". The Vikings look formidable; and the Bears have made some strides, as have the Lions. Should we worry about them also? Or, should we be aware of the competition, but also know that games, much less entire seasons go as planned.

Offline PackerJoe

• All Pro
« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2018, 06:20:58 AM »
I thought the Vikings took a huge step backwards at Qb's,  Huge step backwards! 

Offline RT

• HOF Member
« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2018, 07:19:46 AM »
I thought the Vikings took a huge step backwards at Qb's,  Huge step backwards!

I thought of it as a parallel move in talent. Only time will tell, but huge step backwards is a pretty aggressive statement. I hope you are correct.