October 18, 2018, 10:57:13 AM

Author Topic: JB First-Pick Mock 1.0  (Read 720 times)

Offline jbailey00

• Rookie
JB First-Pick Mock 1.0
« on: April 06, 2018, 12:51:35 PM »
Always have fun doing the First-Pick mock game with all the trade opportunities, even though it's not very "real life".  This was one today that I was really happy with.  Think we got some key starters / contributors at the top of the draft and a bunch of prospects to throw into competition at other key spots.  Know they wouldn't all make the team, but this would be a huge influx of talent for the Packers.

Your score is: 24855 (GRADE: A+)

Your Picks:
Round 1 Pick 14:  James, Derwin, SS/FS, Florida State (A)
Round 2 Pick 13:  Goedert, Dallas, TE, South Dakota State (A)
Round 3 Pick 15 (ARI):  Smith, Braden, OG, Auburn (A)
Round 4 Pick 1:  Toliver II, Kevin, CB, LSU (A+)
Round 4 Pick 33:  Sweat, Josh, OLB, Florida State (A+)
Round 4 Pick 34 (ARI):  Brown, Andrew, DT, Virginia (A+)
Round 5 Pick 5 (WASH):  Hill, Holton, CB, Texas (A)
Round 5 Pick 15 (ARI):  Gallup, Michael, WR, Colorado State (A+)
Round 5 Pick 35:  Blanding, Quin, FS, Virginia (A)
Round 5 Pick 37:  Dickson, Michael, P, Texas (A+)
Round 6 Pick 12:  Adams, Josh, RB, Notre Dame (A+)
Round 6 Pick 33:  Mataafa, Hercules, OLB, Washington State (A+)
Round 6 Pick 37 (HOU):  Wilson, Cedrick, WR, Boise State (A+)
Round 7 Pick 4 (HOU):  Harrison, Desmond, OT, West Georgia (A+)
Round 7 Pick 14:  ODaniel, Dorian, OLB, Clemson (A+)
Round 7 Pick 25 (K.C.):  Wallace, Levi, CB, Alabama (A+)
Round 7 Pick 30 (SEA):  Tate, Auden, WR, Florida State (A+)

Offline OneTwoSixFive

• HOF Member
Re: JB First-Pick Mock 1.0
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2018, 02:35:07 PM »
The first pick is pretty hopeful (imo), but not quite impossible. I think we just miss out on TE Goedert, but maybe not.

The trio of Tolliver, Sweat and H.Hill (rounds 4 and 5) are character risk, injury risk, character risk. I'm actually good with the pick of Sweat, there is some debate where he goes (from late second to sixth round), but i think he would be value from mid-third onwards. I think i'd have Toliver off my board, if i were Packers GM.

Gallup and Mata'Afa are also polarising prospects with a wide range of predictions on where they go - those darn automated draft sites usually have a player or two rated low (I've used Fanspeak may times with different combinations of Big Board and team-needs). I'm also surprised O'Daniel and Tate are so low, I'm beginning to be suspicious of the accuracy of First Picks big board........

Sorry this has been a rather negative post........it's JMO.
(ricky) "Personally, I'm putting this in a box, driving a stake through its heart, firing a silver bullet into its (empty) head, nailing it shut, loading it into a rocket and firing it into the sun. "

(Pink Floyd) "Set the controls for the heart of the sun"

Offline jbailey00

• Rookie
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2018, 08:32:18 AM »
Completely understand on the board / picks - I had a lot of questions as well going thru it.  I said a number of times "how is this guy still there?" but that's what's available.  I do think the Fanspeak draft board seems more "realistic" than First-Pick's.

On the selections, I'd say I'm definitely more open to character risks than the Packers are, but that does make a big difference for the team.  They've got way more access / info than I do on these type of things, and know that getting "Packer People" in the locker room is a huge part of building the team and it's character.  Just fun to see how it goes moving forward - I don't take any of this personally and just excited for the draft (and getting "our guys") to get here!

Offline OneTwoSixFive

• HOF Member
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2018, 02:26:50 PM »
I have a (somewhat vague) rule when it comes to character risks.

If a draftee has made a mistake (even a pretty big one), I am far more forgiving of his mistake than I am of a player who has a pattern of dumb behaviour (even if the mistakes are smaller).
(ricky) "Personally, I'm putting this in a box, driving a stake through its heart, firing a silver bullet into its (empty) head, nailing it shut, loading it into a rocket and firing it into the sun. "

(Pink Floyd) "Set the controls for the heart of the sun"

Offline jbailey00

• Rookie
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2018, 08:03:13 AM »
That's a pretty good rule.  One mistake (even a big one) you can forgive as a learning experience.  Showing a pattern of behavior is a much bigger issue - with you on that.  I'm going to try to do a few more mocks and keep that part of it in mind as well.