October 18, 2018, 11:59:43 AM

Author Topic: Your Top 5 for Round 1...  (Read 1810 times)

Online The GM

• HOF Member
Re: Your Top 5 for Round 1...
« Reply #15 on: April 22, 2018, 07:44:51 AM »
1. Sam Darnold
2. Saquon Barkley
3. Bradley Chubb
4. Josh Rosen
5. Denzel Ward

My top 5.  Well these guys should be on the top of the Packers board.  Of course probably none of them will fall to us.  Left Nelson off not because he is not deserving but would pick any of these guys ahead of him.  Possible Ward falls in our laps unlikely but possible.  Any of them fall we'll take them.

Realistic top 5.

1. Denzel Ward
2. Tremaine Edmunds
3. Quenton Nelson
4. Derwin James
5. Roquan Smith

One of these guys may very well make it to 14.  Any of them there I run the card up.

Worst case top 5.

1. Minkah Fitzpatrick
2. Marcus Davenport
3. Harold Landry
4. Taven Bryan
5. Vita Vea

One of these guys will definately be available.  All good players.  If this is what Gute is looking at a potential trade back could be in the offing.

I think Nelson could be the best player in this draft.  If I had to pick a player from this draft to have a potential HOF career, for me its Nelson.  Question is do you draft a guard that high?.  He will be a great player for whoever takes him. A perennial Pro Bowler.

Keep an eye on Carolina at 17, for a potential  trade down partner.  If that happens, I think Vander Esch is a possibility there at 17 for GB.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2018, 07:56:54 AM by The GM »

Offline dannobanano

• HOF Member
« Reply #16 on: April 22, 2018, 08:20:59 AM »
LVE may not get past BALT at #16. They mostly need help on offense, but one of their few weak spots on defense is at the ILB spot next to CJ Mosley. Adding an Urlacher-type ILB to play next to Mosley could be huge for BALT.
JMHO....... twocents)

Offline RT

• HOF Member
« Reply #17 on: April 22, 2018, 08:38:55 AM »
LVE may not get past BALT at #16. They mostly need help on offense, but one of their few weak spots on defense is at the ILB spot next to CJ Mosley. Adding an Urlacher-type ILB to play next to Mosley could be huge for BALT.
JMHO....... twocents)

LVE is a little bit of a mystery to all of us on how the Packers view him. If they see him as a ILB only player, IMO I don't think their is any chance they draft him there because of how the Packers and most of the NFL value that position. If they view him as Clay Matthews 2.0 then he might be the pick even if Landry is on the board. People forget that Matthews was hardly a sacking machine in college (4.5 his Sr. year and 5.5 for his career) and the Packers were doing a high degree of projecting with his selection. Oh to be a fly on the wall. 

Offline dannobanano

• HOF Member
« Reply #18 on: April 22, 2018, 11:32:02 AM »
JMHO....... twocents)

LVE is a little bit of a mystery to all of us on how the Packers view him. If they see him as a ILB only player, IMO I don't think their is any chance they draft him there because of how the Packers and most of the NFL value that position. If they view him as Clay Matthews 2.0 then he might be the pick even if Landry is on the board. People forget that Matthews was hardly a sacking machine in college (4.5 his Sr. year and 5.5 for his career) and the Packers were doing a high degree of projecting with his selection. Oh to be a fly on the wall.

thumbsup)

Totally agree

Offline bmaafi

• Rookie
« Reply #19 on: April 22, 2018, 02:53:36 PM »
Kind of hard to narrow it down to five but here it goes:

1.) Landry
2.) Ward
3.) Edmunds
4.) Jackson
5.) Fitzpatrick/DJ Moore

Offline Participant

• Rookie
« Reply #20 on: April 22, 2018, 02:57:15 PM »
So no QBs or RBs...and I firmly believe, Chubb (DE) and Nelson (OG) will be gone. I don't think there is potential slides for those two. I think FitzPatrick (DB) will also be taken prior to the Packers' pick. If not, I would lean his way. If Ward (CB) is there, maybe he would change my thoughts.

If not...

1. Vita Vea (DL)
2. Harold Landry (Edge)
3. Josh Jackson (DB)
4. Isaiah Oliver (DB)
5. Leighton Vander Esch (LB)

I'm really fine with any one of these guys at #14 or if there is a trade down. There are others (Tremaine Edmunds and Roquan Smith) that may be available there that I can rationalize despite some shortcomings video has brought to light. Brian Gutekunst and his crew will have done their homework–no doubt. This is just fun to play GM, isn't it?

On top of this, the Packers have a number of picks they can use to move up for a second pick later in the first round if there is someone there they like, much like they did with acquiring the pick for Clay Matthews. It would be entertaining to play with this scenario as well.
 twocents)

Offline WTX_Cheese

• All Pro
« Reply #21 on: April 26, 2018, 08:38:15 AM »
Now that the 1st Round is upon us, I'm revising my "Top 5".

1.) Derwin James (7-14 range)
2.) Minkah Fitzpatrick (7-14 range)
3.) Tremaine Edmunds (5-10 range)
4.) Harold Landry (10-20 range)
5.) Josh Jackson (15-32 range)

Some names that are associated with us that I'm not overly fond of:

1.) Denzel Ward - Every time I watch him, I can't get over how small he looks on the field.
2.) Jaire Alexander - I like him, just not in the 1st Round
3.) Marcus Davenport - Every time I watch him, I think his play screams "4-3 End". I'm not sure how he'd fit in our Defense.
4.) Rashaan Evans - Only if we traded into the tail end of the 1st and the Cornerbacks dried up.

Offline ThatGuy284

• HOF Member
« Reply #22 on: April 26, 2018, 09:09:53 AM »
1  Tremaine Edmunds - only player I'd trade up for anywhere #8-#13
2. Marcus Davenport - I think he has some very projectable athleticism and skills.   He's played standing up for the last 2 years and many think he could play even better with his hand on the ground.   Versatility for the 3-4 and 4-3.   Looks to be strong on the edge already still developing pass rush skills.  Critiqued for not having a spin move or similar counters yet, but neither does Nick Perry and he has 18 sacks in his last 26 regular season games + additional pressures.
3. Harold Landry - You can't teach his quick twitch.  Davenport edges him out imo as I worry about lower leg injuries sapping his greatest strength (speed) while I think Davenport can still win with power and be more impactful through the nagging injuries.   
4. Jaire Alexander.  My top CB and comes 10+lbs heavier than Ward
5. Derwin James - don't think this team needs another high round safety but wouldn't argue with James' value as potential BPA

Vita Vea would have been on this list over James but I worry about those 340lb DL being hyped as the next Haloti Ngata.   BJ Raji retired early.  Dontari Poe was hyped as such and he's on his third team now.  Danny Shelton had some impact but little in the passing game.  These guys don't seem to have the longevity, the ability to control weight over time,  the ability to play all 3 downs in an increasing pass-happy league...