June 21, 2018, 06:46:46 PM

Author Topic: Packers "plotting to move up"?  (Read 1141 times)

Online ricky

• HOF Member
Packers "plotting to move up"?
« on: April 25, 2018, 03:56:59 PM »
This is the kind of report that generates clicks, and if its true, you're really smart. If wrong, no one remembers. so, FWIW:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/04/25/report-packers-plotting-move-up-from-no-14-in-first-round/

Very non-specific. But if they want Ward or Fitzpatrick, it might be necessary to jump ahead of the Bears at #8. That would be a tall order.
"My hopes are not always realized, but I always hope." Ovid

Offline OneTwoSixFive

• HOF Member
Re: Packers "plotting to move up"?
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2018, 04:15:02 PM »
Unless the Packers have really changed the way they operate, no-one knows what they do, before they do it. They tend to be utterly silent as far as their intentions go.
(ricky) "Personally, I'm putting this in a box, driving a stake through its heart, firing a silver bullet into its (empty) head, nailing it shut, loading it into a rocket and firing it into the sun. "

(Pink Floyd) "Set the controls for the heart of the sun"

Offline phanatic1

• Starter
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2018, 05:08:35 PM »
I don't know if I buy any talk from any of the teams, so any rumors have to be taken with a grain of salt.  We do know that they are not going to use all 12 of their picks - so that pretty much leads to multiple picks being used to trade up at some point.  For me - taking out the obvious top 2 choices - the first picks of the 4th and 5th rounds will be very valuable and teams will be calling look at each of those.  That is where I see a move up by Gute. 

Offline The GM

• HOF Member
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2018, 05:28:00 PM »
Many of these potential trades are worked out prior to the draft.  So of course Gute is calling teams about moving up or down.  Thats probably where the smoke is coming from.  Predraft trade positioning, if my guy is there at your spot what will it take.  My GUESS is if he moves up it will be to #10 or #11.  This team has a lot of holes to fill, and you dont want to give up the house for one guy. I dont think you want to give up #45+ to move 3 spots unless Gute REALLY likes the guy. JMO
« Last Edit: April 25, 2018, 05:32:20 PM by The GM »

Offline RT

• HOF Member
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2018, 06:45:03 PM »
Their is probably little to no interest in James or Ward if history tells us anything.

Last year the day before the draft Tony Pauline reported that Watt was the Packers guy if he was available when they picked, he was available and the Packers had no interest. The year before that it was Reggie Ragland was the Packers heartthrob, he was cruised right on by. Today Pauline reports, 'I’m told the Packers would consider trading up for James or Denzel Ward if the opportunity presents itself'. If Pauline is being used to spead the smokescreen like history suggests, Packers fans may want to look under some different rocks to find who they are taking in the first round.   

Offline craig

• HOF Member
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2018, 07:46:37 PM »
I don't know if I buy any talk from any of the teams, so any rumors have to be taken with a grain of salt.  We do know that they are not going to use all 12 of their picks - so that pretty much leads to multiple picks being used to trade up at some point.  For me - taking out the obvious top 2 choices - the first picks of the 4th and 5th rounds will be very valuable and teams will be calling look at each of those.  That is where I see a move up by Gute.

Having a batch of practice-squad picks in rounds 6+7 doesn't impact first round.  I think there will be one (or more) trade-ups at some point on Day 3, possibly even a trade-up in round 3.  But I don't think the six practice-squad picks at the back end move the dial at all during first 3 rounds. 

If they trade in the first, whether up or down, I think it will be kind of in the style of the Watt-for-King trade last draft:  You move a couple of spots, and the draft picks involved are modest-value. 

In round 1, if they were to trade up, I think it would only be by a couple of spots.  Including their 3rd-round pick might be enough to get up to 10; pick 4.1 might could get up to 12.  Giving up 4.1 to move up two picks seems much more reasonable than doing a massive give-away to get up to 6 or 8. 

RT may be right, and they might not like many of the defensive names that are routinely mentioned in top-12.
 (James, Ward, Minkah, Edmunds, Roquan, may be that even if most media include those guys ahead of the Packers, that perhaps the Packers don't actually like many or even any of those 5.  Who knows? )   

But *IF* they were to move up, I think it would be only if one of the guys they DO like had gotten down to 10, or perhaps more likely was still there at pick 12.  If they really like a guy at 12, they could plausibly get that high at the expense of 4.1.  If they wanted to move all the way up to 10, which seems unlikely to me, that would presumably cost 3rd round pick. 

I suspect the same goes in terms of a trade-down.  If somebody offers you a 4th to drop down 2 spots, or a late 3rd to drop down 3 spots, that's a lot easier to do than something bigger.  If there are two guys or three guys that you like well, dropping 2 or 3 spots doesn't risk ending up losing all of the guys you like. 

Think that was the logic in the Watt-King trade.  They liked King, but they liked a couple of other guys too, so by moving down only 3 spots, they were at no risk that they'd lose all three guys.  If King had gotten snitched in between Watt and the Packers pick, they'd have liked the other guy.  But if you're going to drop like 8 spots, that's harder to anticipate who's going to be left. 

Offline Participant

• Rookie
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2018, 03:12:07 PM »
What a fun night. I'm starting to believe the fun comes from all the hype and speculation more than it is the personnel each team acquires. We really shouldn't get too excited about the personnel part of it until training camp when the coaching staff really gets to see how they stack up and fit in the NFL.

Anyway, I'll stick to my thoughts that the Packers, unless they really have a distinct BPA still available on their board a couple spots ahead of them, they should stick at #14, because I think they can get a prospect that will help the team immediately there. My interest lies with trading back into the later part of the  first round like they did in 2009 to get another player high on their board that is still available.

The progress of the draft will determine that of course, but if they can use their second-round pick and a couple others, maybe they can make the move to get a quality CB, LB, WR or even OL in the mid-20s or early second. I see a few scenarios and combinations that would probably makes us grin a bit.

Perhaps a pass rusher first (Davenport, Landry, etc.) and then a CB (Oliver, Alexander, Jackson, Hughes), or even an OL (McGlinchey, Williams, Wynn, etc.) or  WR (Sutton, Moore, etc.). Doesn't matter the sequence, but you can see the fun we could have with this. Maybe a trade down from #14 back a few spots can yield the same scenario with some added value to move up with the second pick as well.

Enjoy the draft everyone!

Offline The GM

• HOF Member
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2018, 04:02:31 PM »
I think a lot of the hype is now put out by the Packers.  I think Gute is trying to get out of the "nobody is home" reputation TT represented.  "We are now in involved in FA", "We could be looking to move in the draft"  They very well could but I think Gute is at least getting the Packer name out there.  It increases the Packer brand, now contrast that with TTs approach.  Gute is at least creating Packer buzz and interest and IMO its a good thing.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2018, 04:07:15 PM by The GM »

Offline RT

• HOF Member
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2018, 04:34:27 PM »
I think a lot of the hype is now put out by the Packers.  I think Gute is trying to get out of the "nobody is home" reputation TT represented.  "We are now in involved in FA", "We could be looking to move in the draft"  They very well could but I think Gute is at least getting the Packer name out there.  It increases the Packer brand, now contrast that with TTs approach.  Gute is at least creating Packer buzz and interest and IMO its a good thing.

I think you are right on it. The Packers really haven't changed much from years past, but have used a P.R. move to try to change a negative public perception. 

Offline Shinesman

• HOF Member
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2018, 05:48:51 PM »
Rumor had it on predraft coverage they want to move up for Fitzpatrick. That's just not someone I think is worth trading up for, especially with the talent and depth at that position already.
"Tradition! Just because we've always done it that way, doesn't mean that it isn't incredibly stupid."

Offline Gregg

• HOF Member
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2018, 06:50:11 PM »
They ended up trading down.

But they scored big by getting a number one next year.

Really surprising draft so far.  I think it comes from the over analysis because of the delay between the end of the college season and the draft..

Baker Mayfield number 1?  A RB number two?

Offline carnival

• Starter
« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2018, 07:32:07 PM »
I am so pissed a cornerback for a number one I am so pissed

Offline ThatGuy284

• HOF Member
« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2018, 08:14:35 PM »
I am so pissed a cornerback for a number one I am so pissed

No doubt it sucks the team is in a position to have to draft a CB in the 1st after the draft capital spent in previous years.  But the fact is they are in that position - so you can address it or ignore it.  I personally think they addressed in a big way.  i understand people may not be as happy with the selection as I am, but give the man a chance to play and develop.   IMO Alexander and King have gone a long way to cure what ails us

Offline MO.Pack

• HOF Member
« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2018, 08:42:30 AM »
Some have alluded to that Ward and Fitzpatrick were who were targeted.  This makes sense and what happens, two personal men who were high in Green Bay, and part of the upcoming draft process for this year, that have moved on to Cleveland might have had something to say about Ward being selected 4th overall.  Would have been interesting to see how far Ward would have fallen if Cleveland had not use the 4th overall on Ward. 
« Last Edit: April 27, 2018, 08:43:53 AM by MO.Pack »

Online ricky

• HOF Member
« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2018, 08:50:48 PM »
Is anyone else seeing a pattern developing in Gutekunst's draft style? Trade back, then trade move forward. First round, go form 14 to 27 to 18. Lose a third round pick, then package a fourth and another pick to move back into the third. So, it only seems logical that he's going to try to regain their lost pick in the fourth by trading some later picks for a player they have targetted. 
"My hopes are not always realized, but I always hope." Ovid