General Category > Green Bay Packers News Talk

Guesses at the 53 man roster

(1/11) > >>

bmaafi:
Just for fun and it’s always interesting see what the actual roster ends up being.

QB:3
Rodgers
Kiser
Hundley

RB:4
Jones
Williams
Montgomery
Mays

FB:1
Ripkowski

WR:7
Adams
 Cobb
Allison
Moore
St. Brown
Valdes-scantling
Yancey

TE:3
Graham
Kendricks
UDFA(one of the two guys)

OL:9
Baktiari
Taylor
Linsley
Madison
Murphy
Bulaga
McCray
Amichia
Spriggs

DL:5
Daniels
Wilkerson
Clark
Lowry
Adams

LB: 8
Perry
Martinez
Burks
Matthews
Biegel
Gilbert
Fackrell
Ryan

DB:10
King
Williams
Alexander
Clinton-dix
Jones
Brice
Jackson
Pipkins
House
Evans

ST: 3
Crosby
Bradley
Scott

RT:
Oh nellie, the wayyy to early roster debates are under way.

QB - I agree for now that they will run with 3 this year, but to most fans disapproval Hundley will be the number two this coming season.

RB - For now their is no reason to believe that the same 4 will not makeup the RB room.

FB - I'm not ruling out they keep 2 FB's again this season and go with only 2 TE's. They have run with that roster configuration in the past and lack of current known depth may lead to that again. FB's and TE's are married together when constructing the roster, not WR's and TE's.

TE - Having 2 seasoned veterans would make it easy to carry a third developmental type who excelled on ST's, who that would be is a complete mystery for now.   

WR - This is the position as much as any that creates the most debate year after year. The Packers have kept 5 to 7 for the last several years and doubt it won't fall in that range again. Adams and Cobb are not going anywhere. Moore is a 4th round pick and he would need to completely fall on his face not to be in. Valdes-Scantling adds a Jeff Janis type skillset on special teams, he is a gunner, he has a knack at blocking punts. That will give him a big legup on some of the others that don't contribute on ST's. From your list of Allison, St. Brown and Yancey - this group may be battling for 1 spot, 2 at best. St. Brown may be this years version of Dupree, if he doesn't kill it from the line of scrimmage in the preseason he probably doesn't make the cut. In my eyes Yancey is a very big longshot to make it, if he couldn't find his way onto the roster at the end of last season, how is he going to after they drafted 3 more at his position this year. You have left Davis off this list and his chance to make the roster is greater than a number of the ones you have chosen. If a WR is not one of the first 3 on the depth chart he needs to contribute on ST's and Davis is an ascending returner. Others will add Clark to the list as someone with a real chance, he was clearly ahead of Yancey last year when he was elavated to the 53 ahead of Yancey.

OL - I could see 8, 9 or 10 being kept this year. The only one you have that I will disagree with is Amichia, not sure why you would believe he would be ahead of Pankey and Patrick. Both are young ascending players who were on the roster last year. Patrick even made a start.

DL - The first 5 are kind of givens, but I think their is a strong chance they keep 6 this year. I think Looney could be that guy. He might be a player who could fill-in as a edge player also.

LB - This number will probably fall at nine, 3 inside - 6 edge. Odom was carried all season last year, that should tell us that they like his raw talent.

DB - This number seems to grow each year. Last year they started the season with 12. Kind of thinking in could be 7 CB and 4 S this year. Their should be some very keen competition at the CB position in the preseason. Don't expect them to keep House over young CB's that show upside in training thou.

You have your roster a little out of balance with 27 offense and only 23 defense. Last year it was 24 offense and 26 defense to start the season, the year before it was 25 and 25.

Their are probably 45 to 48 roster spots already made barring injuries, so the off-season debate will be for the mostpart about 5 to 8 roster spots. The debate can be fun, but in the end it will come down to which young men in that group of about 40 wants the jobs more. For them, all is yet to be determined. 

The GM:
The punting competition might get interesting.  Scott is a pretty good directional punter.  Read somewhere he only had 5 returns all of last year at Bama.   Good hang time,  many of his punts are fair caught.   Hes got a real slow delivery though. Kind of odd looking form, it looks shorter, but he takes his time, and his anchor foot never leaves the ground.   I thought Vogel did pretty good last year, but there must be something they dont like.  Trouble with training camp  is you cant see how these guys kick in December.   

ricky:

--- Quote from: The GM on April 29, 2018, 02:34:16 PM ---The punting competition might get interesting.  Scott is a pretty good directional punter.  Read somewhere he only had 5 returns all of last year at Bama.   Good hang time,  many of his punts are fair caught.   Hes got a real slow delivery though. Kind of odd looking form, it looks shorter, but he takes his time, and his anchor foot never leaves the ground.   I thought Vogel did pretty good last year, but there must be something they dont like.  Trouble with training camp  is you cant see how these guys kick in December.   

--- End quote ---

We have seen how Vogel kicks in all sorts of situaitons in real games. Vogel is good, but does seem to have a "shank" per game. And using a fifth round pick on him indicates they're serious about upgrading the position. So, it might be Scott's position to lose. Same with the LS.

dannobanano:

--- Quote from: ricky on April 29, 2018, 05:40:54 PM ---
--- Quote from: The GM on April 29, 2018, 02:34:16 PM ---The punting competition might get interesting.  Scott is a pretty good directional punter.  Read somewhere he only had 5 returns all of last year at Bama.   Good hang time,  many of his punts are fair caught.   Hes got a real slow delivery though. Kind of odd looking form, it looks shorter, but he takes his time, and his anchor foot never leaves the ground.   I thought Vogel did pretty good last year, but there must be something they dont like.  Trouble with training camp  is you cant see how these guys kick in December.   

--- End quote ---

We have seen how Vogel kicks in all sorts of situaitons in real games. Vogel is good, but does seem to have a "shank" per game. And using a fifth round pick on him indicates they're serious about upgrading the position. So, it might be Scott's position to lose. Same with the LS.

--- End quote ---

Scott's punting average by year was:
2014 - 48.00
2015 - 44.20
2016 - 47.19
2017 - 42.96

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version