August 19, 2018, 04:15:25 AM

Author Topic: OTA notes  (Read 6011 times)

Offline RT

• HOF Member
Re: OTA notes
« Reply #15 on: May 23, 2018, 06:34:32 AM »
No mention of Amichia, wonder if hurt or not impressive...

Last year after the draft I watched a piece by Lance Zierlein breaking down Amichia and the one thing that stuck with me was that he said that Amichia spent a lot of time on the ground for an OLineman. Dispite his off the charts athleticism, he may just not be a good football player. I don't blame the Packers for taking a chance on a top athlete at the end of the 6th round, sometimes a team hits and sometimes they miss. Their is still hope that he is putting it all together after a full offseason program, but he is at the show me something stage this training camp. IMO

Offline RT

• HOF Member
« Reply #16 on: May 23, 2018, 06:44:17 AM »
Zach Kruse

Verified account

@zachkruse2
 1m1 minute ago
More
Stash this away for camp: Aaron Rodgers brought up CB Demetri Goodson unprompted on Tuesday. "He's made some plays already during the two days (of OTAs)."

Offline Hands

• HOF Member
    • Uncover
« Reply #17 on: May 23, 2018, 07:06:04 AM »
Goodson would be a very good surprise.
In the land of the blind.....the one eye man is king!

Offline Twain

• HOF Member
« Reply #18 on: May 23, 2018, 08:05:30 AM »
It feels like this is the first year in a long time that there is good depth and competition in the cornerback group.

No one has proven themselves as a top talent, but we will enter camp with fierce competition to earn a spot, and that should result in better performance from the group.
"The trouble ain't that there are too many fools, but that the lightning ain't distributed right."

Offline craig

• HOF Member
« Reply #19 on: May 23, 2018, 08:26:08 AM »
#Packers OL coach James Campen says Justin McCray "lived here" over the offseason, constantly working out. Campen sees a lot of potential. "I think you just saw the tip of what Justin will be."....

I think combine stuff emphasizes quickness and speed so much.  But for o-line, pure strength is so huge.  Lane Taylor is really strong, and that has helped him super much.  Spriggs had the wonderful 3-cones and vertical jumps and stuff, but thus far has been so acutely lacking in power.  And the short, choppy active feet that o-line guys are actually using, the small subtle foot-chops to maintain leverage angles, I'm not sure that's super-well represented by 3-cones.  (Maybe it is, but I'm not sure....) 

I'm hoping that might apply to Madison.  HIs combine measurables were pretty mediocre.  But even if his 3-cone wasn't good, I'm still hopeful that his footwork and balance are so good that he'll be a winner.  And that after a couple of off-seasons, that he'll be suitably powerful besides. 

McCray is really strong, I think, and what sounds like a really committed "living here" offseason might suggest he'll be even more strong and powerful this season.  He and Taylor will almost certainly be the strongest, most powerful guys on the line.  Linsley is kind of too short to be dominant physically, but he's really strong too, and well able to leverage.  He's not going to just drive-block Raji-sized guys 3 yards off the line, but he's pretty powerful nonetheless.  It's kind of interesting to consider the possibility of having an interior line that might be very physical and able to move people in the run game.  Might perhaps have a better short-yardage drive-blocking group inside than we've had? 

I do have a little hesitation, though.  Coaches love high-effort, committed guys who live in the offseason weight-room.  But that effort and commitment and weight-room strength doesn't always overcome athletic limits.  Sometimes guys who aren't as committed and don't listen to coaching quite as well still end up being superior players; just because superior raw talent can often beat higher-effort coach-favorites.   Hope McCray has the talent and balance and quickness so that his weight-room effort really makes him good. 

Offline dannobanano

• HOF Member
« Reply #20 on: May 23, 2018, 01:21:03 PM »

Last year after the draft I watched a piece by Lance Zierlein breaking down Amichia and the one thing that stuck with me was that he said that Amichia spent a lot of time on the ground for an OLineman. Dispite his off the charts athleticism, he may just not be a good football player. I don't blame the Packers for taking a chance on a top athlete at the end of the 6th round, sometimes a team hits and sometimes they miss. Their is still hope that he is putting it all together after a full offseason program, but he is at the show me something stage this training camp. IMO

Amichia was supposed to become the primary backup at Center, and a swing Guard, but his shortcomings could be why GB signed Austin Davis (udfa), who is a Center (first) and may be able to grow into a backup Guard spot.

I still haven't ruled out Cole Madison as a candidate for the RT spot. He has proven himself on the big stage, and as one of the better RT's in D-1 football. Plus, he has the "heart" to go get it. He was a vocal tough guy enforcer for WSU. I'm just not ready to rule him out at RT.

Offline ThatGuy284

• HOF Member
« Reply #21 on: May 23, 2018, 02:11:57 PM »
That seems a prudent decision danno....seeing as it's May 23rd, the third day of the first OTA and they are all wearing gym shorts.   The only one I've safely ruled out at any position is Mokofisi.

Offline RT

• HOF Member
« Reply #22 on: May 24, 2018, 05:48:13 AM »

Amichia was supposed to become the primary backup at Center, and a swing Guard, but his shortcomings could be why GB signed Austin Davis (udfa), who is a Center (first) and may be able to grow into a backup Guard spot.

I still haven't ruled out Cole Madison as a candidate for the RT spot. He has proven himself on the big stage, and as one of the better RT's in D-1 football. Plus, he has the "heart" to go get it. He was a vocal tough guy enforcer for WSU. I'm just not ready to rule him out at RT.

The interior OL spots should be a competitive battle. In the end Lucas Patrick, Kofi Amichia, Dillon Day, Jacob Alsadek and Austin Davis may well all be battling for one spot on the 53. Patrick is the early favorite, but it would not surprise to see anyone of them endup the victor. Dillon Day may well be a sleeper here, The Packers grabbed him off Denver's PS late in the year to bring him to training camp this year. They liked something they saw in him.

Offline craig

• HOF Member
« Reply #23 on: May 24, 2018, 12:05:34 PM »
All five of those guys are still PS-eligible, Patrick included.  I'd think the new undrafted rookies are probably more competing for a 63-man spot than a 53-man spot, unless one of them looks just shockingly good. 

I'm not in camp, but I'm guessing Patrick has the edge.  He's already shown he's pretty functional at guard, and I assume he's had two years to practice some center-snaps.  *IF* he can play center well enough to fill in for a couple of quarters, I like his odds over the other guys.  But, who knows. 

Q:  MM usually only game-days 2 backup OL, right?  If the interior backup is responsible for covering three different positions, he might not necessarily be the best backup at all three. 

For example, maybe Patrick is the best backup at both guard spots, but Day or Davis or Amichia is actually a better backup at center.  In that case, Patrick may still be the Game-Day active, and need to fill in at center for a few quarters of Linsley gets injured.  But, by the next Sunday, the best backup center, who was previously stored on PS or inactive, can get promoted to GameDay and can start.  So, you don't even necessarily need to have backup center even on the 53, much less on the Game Day. 

Offline RT

• HOF Member
« Reply #24 on: May 24, 2018, 05:41:26 PM »
All five of those guys are still PS-eligible, Patrick included.  I'd think the new undrafted rookies are probably more competing for a 63-man spot than a 53-man spot, unless one of them looks just shockingly good. 

I'm not in camp, but I'm guessing Patrick has the edge.  He's already shown he's pretty functional at guard, and I assume he's had two years to practice some center-snaps.  *IF* he can play center well enough to fill in for a couple of quarters, I like his odds over the other guys.  But, who knows. 

Q:  MM usually only game-days 2 backup OL, right?  If the interior backup is responsible for covering three different positions, he might not necessarily be the best backup at all three. 

For example, maybe Patrick is the best backup at both guard spots, but Day or Davis or Amichia is actually a better backup at center.  In that case, Patrick may still be the Game-Day active, and need to fill in at center for a few quarters of Linsley gets injured.  But, by the next Sunday, the best backup center, who was previously stored on PS or inactive, can get promoted to GameDay and can start.  So, you don't even necessarily need to have backup center even on the 53, much less on the Game Day.

I think you are over thinking the gameday actives. Their is enough interchangable parts that unless their are multiple injuries in one given game it really shouldn't matter. Keep the best 53 and whichever OL are in that group, play the best 7 that are healthy. As for a true backup center on the 53? Doesn't have to be, wasn't a true backup center on the 53 most of last season. BPA regardless of position.   

Offline craig

• HOF Member
« Reply #25 on: May 24, 2018, 08:53:50 PM »
Yeah, I respectfully disagree on this, I think, at least as regards center.   I think you're oversimplifying, as regards center. 

Snapping and transitioning from the snap position into blocking position is physiologically kinda different, and is also something of a developed skill.  So I don't really assume that if 6 and 7 are better than 8 at tackle and guard, that they're also necessarily better than 8 at center.  Not sure that you can just plug in Spriggs or Murphy at center. 

I would think that of the Patrick, Amichia, Day, Alsadek and Davis pentet, if better is simply interchangeably better and the best guard is necessarily the best center as well, that would be really good for Patrick.  And good for the Packers.  I think he's shown himself to be perfectly serviceable as a backup guard; so if that also means he'd be perfectly serviceable as a backup center as well, that's good news for us!  And if it turns out that one of the other guys is even better than perfectly serviceable, that's even better news for the Packers. 

Offline RT

• HOF Member
« Reply #26 on: May 25, 2018, 06:06:11 AM »
Yeah, I respectfully disagree on this, I think, at least as regards center.   I think you're oversimplifying, as regards center. 

Snapping and transitioning from the snap position into blocking position is physiologically kinda different, and is also something of a developed skill.  So I don't really assume that if 6 and 7 are better than 8 at tackle and guard, that they're also necessarily better than 8 at center.  Not sure that you can just plug in Spriggs or Murphy at center. 

I would think that of the Patrick, Amichia, Day, Alsadek and Davis pentet, if better is simply interchangeably better and the best guard is necessarily the best center as well, that would be really good for Patrick.  And good for the Packers.  I think he's shown himself to be perfectly serviceable as a backup guard; so if that also means he'd be perfectly serviceable as a backup center as well, that's good news for us!  And if it turns out that one of the other guys is even better than perfectly serviceable, that's even better news for the Packers.

Not claiming you are right or wrong and I do get the concern about the lose of a center during a game.

Taking a minute and putting the cart before the horse here and assuming some roster positions, we can do a hypothetical. Say the starting 5 are Bakhtairi, Taylor, Linsley, McCray, Bulaga (I believe Bulaga starts the year on the PUP and either Spriggs or Murphy is the starting RT on opening day) and Spriggs and Murphy makeup the 7 game day actives. In this scenario if Linsley would go down, McCray moves to center and Murphy moves into RG. Remember that McCray was for the mostpart the backup center all of last season.

Now say the team keeps the 8th or 9th best OLineman active on game day because he is a natural center and they lose their OT's during the game. Would you rather be in a game with your 7 best OLineman active or with your 6th and 8th/9th best OLineman active? No one knows in advance who is going to get injured during the course of a game, but for me I want the 7 best active for game day.

With that said, the roster spots are yet to be determined and many different combinations could come out of this yet, but history tells us they will play the best 5 and activate the best 7.

Offline RT

• HOF Member
« Reply #27 on: May 31, 2018, 09:54:24 AM »
Ryan Wood

Verified account

@ByRyanWood
Follow Follow @ByRyanWood
More
Veteran #Packers CB Tramon Williams is participating in today’s open OTA session after missing last week’s voluntary practice.

Offline RT

• HOF Member
« Reply #28 on: May 31, 2018, 10:00:11 AM »
Rob Demovsky

Verified account

@RobDemovsky
 10m10 minutes ago
More
Ha Ha Clinton-Dix is absent again from Packers OTA. There's no known injury and he's entering the fifth-year option of his rookie deal.

Would not surprise me to see him making alot of 'business decisions' on the field again this season. 

Offline RT

• HOF Member
« Reply #29 on: May 31, 2018, 10:07:01 AM »
Rob Demovsky

Verified account

@RobDemovsky
 34s34 seconds ago
More
QB rotation during team periods: Aaron Rodgers, Brett Hundley, Rodgers, DeShone Kizer. Packers getting Rodgers a lot of work now could be an indication he and the rest of the vets will be given minicamp off again this June.