June 22, 2018, 11:31:55 PM

Author Topic: GM Brian Gutekunst is Having a Nice Rookie Year  (Read 191 times)

Offline Bob Fox

• All Pro
GM Brian Gutekunst is Having a Nice Rookie Year
« on: June 10, 2018, 08:28:39 AM »
GM Brian Gutekunst is Having a Nice Rookie Year

By Bob Fox

In his first term as general manager of the Green Bay Packers, Brian Gutekunst is having a pretty good rookie season. Or offseason, depending how you look at it.

The additions that Gutekunst has made to the roster up until now has been quite unlike what we have seen from Ted Thompson over the past 13 years, when he held the same job title.

Let’s take a look at the roster moves that Gutekunst has made since he became GM.

The first acquisition that Gutekunst made was when he traded defensive back Damarious Randall to the Cleveland Browns for quarterback DeShone Kizer. Plus the Packers and Browns swapped picks in the fourth and fifth rounds in the 2018 NFL draft.

The move was made for two reasons. Randall had basically worn out his welcome in Green Bay, both with his inconsistent performances and his attitude. The addition of Kizer says a lot about how the team feels about the overall performance of Brett Hundley in 2017, as he took over for Aaron Rodgers after No. 12 fractured his collarbone in Week 6.

Hundley was 3-6 as a starter and he threw nine touchdown passes compared to 12 interceptions for 1,853 yards. No. 7’s passer rating was just 70.9.

Hundley was also sacked 29 times, as he had difficulty moving around the pocket and going through his reads.

Hundley did run for 270 yards and two scores, but he just couldn’t lead the Packers down the field consistently enough due to his passing deficiencies.

The 6’4″, 235-pound Kizer will push Hundley in 2018 for the backup job behind Rodgers. My money is on Kizer winning that battle.

Just a few days after the trade to pick up Kizer, Gutekunst really got busy. He first released wide receiver Jody Nelson, who was definitely a fan favorite in Green Bay. NFL scout Chris Landry told me that Nelson looked visibly slower in 2017, which was two years removed from a torn ACL in the 2015 preseason.

The release of Nelson cleared $10.2 million in cap space.

After the release of Nelson, the Packers signed tight end Jimmy Graham of the Seattle Seahawks to a three-year contract worth $30 million, with $22 million paid out during the first two years of the deal.

Graham will be a big red zone weapon for Rodgers to utilize, as well as someone who can stretch the seam down the middle of the field. Rodgers has taken advantage of that situation before in the past in Green Bay with other tight ends like Jermichael Finley and Jared Cook.

In his eight-year career in the NFL, Graham has 556 receptions for 6,800 yards and 69 touchdowns.

The 6’7″, 265-pound Graham has also been named to five Pro Bowl squads and was also named first-team All-Pro in 2013 by AP.

To read the rest of the story, please go to:

https://greenbaybobfox.wordpress.com/2018/06/09/green-bay-packers-gm-brian-gutekunst-is-having-a-nice-rookie-year/

Offline RT

• HOF Member
Re: GM Brian Gutekunst is Having a Nice Rookie Year
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2018, 01:04:07 PM »
A few monthes back I read somewhere, where someone described Gutekunst as Spicy Ted. Don't recall the source of the dubbing, but I felt that was a very accurate description of his work up to this point. Not as rigid in his process as TT, but really not alot of difference overall. Personally I am glad things have stayed mostly unchanged, only a little spicier. If fans perceive this as a great change from the past and it helps in giving them new hope on a personal level, well that is all good too.