May 24, 2018, 01:16:01 AM

Author Topic: NFLPA trying to overturn part of CBA  (Read 6077 times)

Offline GBP4EVER

• HOF Member
NFLPA trying to overturn part of CBA
« on: October 17, 2012, 06:40:47 PM »
NFLPA is asking the courts to put in a arbitrator to hear the case saying Goodell should not that he is bias. NFL rightfully so is saying doing so would go against the CBA. Do not see how the courts can rule on this when it is clear the CBA gives him the power a power approved by the players in approving the CBA.

Offline Pugger

• HOF Member
Re: NFLPA trying to overturn part of CBA
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2012, 06:09:05 AM »
If the NFLPA didn't like that why did they agree to it and sign the CBA in the first place?   :o

Offline GBP4EVER

• HOF Member
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2012, 07:48:26 AM »
If the NFLPA didn't like that why did they agree to it and sign the CBA in the first place?   :o
Because they learned they gave up to much after the fact and now are trying to use the courts to get the parts of the contract thrown out. The courts should say we have no say in this matter as it is part of the CBA it's the NFLPA's fault for agreeing to it. Nothing can be done now.

Offline Pugger

• HOF Member
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2012, 06:25:13 AM »
Because they learned they gave up to much after the fact and now are trying to use the courts to get the parts of the contract thrown out. The courts should say we have no say in this matter as it is part of the CBA it's the NFLPA's fault for agreeing to it. Nothing can be done now.

Agreed.

Offline cpk1994

• HOF Member
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2012, 07:22:08 AM »
They thought Godell was going to be fair and impartial, not the corrupt with power bully and tyrant he is.
"Aaron Rodgers is a baaaaaaad man" - Stephen A. Smith

Offline GBP4EVER

• HOF Member
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2012, 09:15:51 AM »
They thought Godell was going to be fair and impartial, not the corrupt with power bully and tyrant he is.
Please get over this Goodell is a bully and a tyrant we are all sick of hearing it.

Offline LMG

• Administrator
  • HOF Member
    • Where are we?
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2012, 09:20:40 AM »
X a bunch!!  :-X
If you are not the lead dog the view never changes.

Offline Dubz41

• All Pro
  • Government Cheese
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2012, 06:34:36 AM »

Then they were naive. This is a business and Goodell is the front man for the owners and he is doing good business. The players are really showing off their education they received on those scholarships!! ??? ???
It's not what he doesn't know that bothers me. It's what he knows for sure that just ain't so!-Will Rogers

Offline ClayAttack420

• Starter
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2012, 12:52:45 AM »
I am so sick of bounty this bounty that. Let us know when its done!!!

Offline cpk1994

• HOF Member
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2012, 06:26:25 AM »

Then they were naive. This is a business and Goodell is the front man for the owners and he is doing good business. The players are really showing off their education they received on those scholarships!! ??? ???

So, making an idiot of himself and getting the NFL sued is good business?  Godell is inept and a joke.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2012, 08:34:21 AM by LMGAdmin »
"Aaron Rodgers is a baaaaaaad man" - Stephen A. Smith

Offline Bud

• HOF Member
« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2012, 11:01:15 AM »
I am so sick of bounty this bounty that. Let us know when its done!!!

You mean it's not over yet?!?!  :D That is in jest but in reality, I think it's pretty interesting. Not taking either side, just enjoying the process and seeing how this thing turns out. I think there will be definitive ramifications whatever the ruling may be. There might even be some unsavory things that come out in the process. We'll see how this plays out.
“Gold medals aren't really made of gold. They're made of sweat, determination, and a hard-to-find alloy called guts.” ~ Dan Gable

Offline Packinatl

• HOF Member
« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2012, 11:37:09 AM »

So, making an idiot of himself and getting the NFL sued is good business?  Godell is inept and a joke.

He is protecting the brand...that is what I would consider good business.   He is following orders from both his legal team and his bosses
"The day you sign a client is the day you start losing one."

Offline mavajo

• HOF Member
  • sinatra - Posting at www.gbpackeraddicts.com now.
« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2012, 11:47:03 AM »

This viewpoint always intrigues me.

So if you work at a job in a union, and you feel you're being improperly suspended and having your pay improperly withheld, and your only means of redress is what you perceive to be a kangaroo court where the deck is being stacked against you --  you should just bend over and take it?  I don't think so.  Assuming you had the resources to do so, you would fight it.  That's what the player are doing here.

In my view, the Saints absolutely deserved punishment.  I don't believe they had a "bounty" per se, but they did have a pay for performance system and, despite being warned multiple times by the NFL, refused to end it.  (If you'll recall, the Packers received a similar warning back in 2007, and apparently complied.)  So in that sense, they were clearly in violation of league policy, and deserved punishment.

The problem is, the NFL has constantly centered this around being a "bounty" scandal -- that there was intent to cause harm.  I think that argument can certainly be made, but it's by no means the automatical slamdunk that the NFL is making it out to be.  Yes, there's an appeals process, but it's ridiculously stacked against the players.  Can you imagine a court system where the Judge you appeal to is the same Judge that made the decision to begin with?  Ridiculous!  But that's tantamount to what's been set up in the NFL here.  Yes, the player purportedly signed off on that arrangement, but I believe they thought there would be a modicum of justice exercised in that practice of this appeals process.  There hasn't been.  The NFL has kept it completely in-house and stacked against the players -- which is the NFL's right, per the CBA.

In other words, both parties are technically within their rights here.  Yes, an agreement was signed in good faith.  But the players position is that the NFL is not exercising good faith in the execution of that agreement.  And thus, they're doing the only thing they can do at this point -- take it to the courts.

And you would do the exact same thing in their shoes.  The players' belief is that there's been a miscarriage of justice here, and that the NFL refuses to exercise good faith in resolving that.  Thus, they're taking it to the court system -- which is the whole reason we have a court system.

It's obnoxious, and the players most certainly engaged in some measure of wrongdoing to begin with, but the NFL has handled this is extremely bad faith in my opinion.

Offline mavajo

• HOF Member
  • sinatra - Posting at www.gbpackeraddicts.com now.
« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2012, 11:49:24 AM »

He is protecting the brand...that is what I would consider good business.   He is following orders from both his legal team and his bosses

Very true.  Anyone who thinks Goodell is unilterally calling the shots here is naive.  He's being advised by the NFL's legal counsel, the NFL's top brass and the owners.

Offline Packinatl

• HOF Member
« Reply #14 on: October 24, 2012, 12:02:21 PM »

This viewpoint always intrigues me.

So if you work at a job in a union, and you feel you're being improperly suspended and having your pay improperly withheld, and your only means of redress is what you perceive to be a kangaroo court where the deck is being stacked against you --  you should just bend over and take it?  I don't think so.  Assuming you had the resources to do so, you would fight it.  That's what the player are doing here.

In my view, the Saints absolutely deserved punishment.  I don't believe they had a "bounty" per se, but they did have a pay for performance system and, despite being warned multiple times by the NFL, refused to end it.  (If you'll recall, the Packers received a similar warning back in 2007, and apparently complied.)  So in that sense, they were clearly in violation of league policy, and deserved punishment.

The problem is, the NFL has constantly centered this around being a "bounty" scandal -- that there was intent to cause harm.  I think that argument can certainly be made, but it's by no means the automatical slamdunk that the NFL is making it out to be.  Yes, there's an appeals process, but it's ridiculously stacked against the players.  Can you imagine a court system where the Judge you appeal to is the same Judge that made the decision to begin with?  Ridiculous!  But that's tantamount to what's been set up in the NFL here.  Yes, the player purportedly signed off on that arrangement, but I believe they thought there would be a modicum of justice exercised in that practice of this appeals process.  There hasn't been.  The NFL has kept it completely in-house and stacked against the players -- which is the NFL's right, per the CBA.

In other words, both parties are technically within their rights here.  Yes, an agreement was signed in good faith.  But the players position is that the NFL is not exercising good faith in the execution of that agreement.  And thus, they're doing the only thing they can do at this point -- take it to the courts.

And you would do the exact same thing in their shoes.  The players' belief is that there's been a miscarriage of justice here, and that the NFL refuses to exercise good faith in resolving that.  Thus, they're taking it to the court system -- which is the whole reason we have a court system.

It's obnoxious, and the players most certainly engaged in some measure of wrongdoing to begin with, but the NFL has handled this is extremely bad faith in my opinion.

This is more about challenging the CBA and getting to the discovery phase  than a challenge of good faith.   Goodell has followed the CBA and the guidelines and process that the NFLPA agreed to.  Sure you can make a case about Goodell releasing more evidence but he is right in not doing that especially with a bigger picture concussion suit on the way. 

What really got my attention is that Vilma said I believe on the Jim Rome Show that they used the word "cartoffs" but it did not mean what you think ...really now.

"The day you sign a client is the day you start losing one."