November 19, 2018, 10:30:32 AM

Author Topic: Free Agent Game, let's play  (Read 5950 times)

Offline JPPlaya

• HOF Member
Re: Free Agent Game, let's play
« Reply #15 on: March 15, 2013, 11:17:04 PM »
I'd say that Joe Horn was the OLD GUARD unrestricted free agency. Teams have become MUCH more jucicious in how the structure contracts since the late 90s.

Phillip Wheeler just signed with Miami so how do we know on him?

I see what you're doing with the last SB champs other than the Packers, but some are just kind of there padding the stats.

When Hargorve went to the Saints he was a scrap-heap free agent, jot really a UFA. I'm not sure that I'd truly call Heath Evans a real success.Expendable role player. Hargrove, McCray had short-lived Saints careers and were released. Shockey was run out of town after 2 years.

I dont really consider Deon Grant much of a "success". A very expendable player.  Lawrence Tynes was never more than anaverage NFL kicker.

Jacoby Jones was a borderline scrap-heap guy as was Mckinnie, but those are valid I guess....barely  ;-)

NEGATIVES
Ahman Green to Houston
Marquand Manuel
Marion Barber
Chester Taylor (Bears)
Kevin Shaffer
Orlando Pace
Frank Omiyale
Stanford Routt
Edgerton Hartwell
Edgerron James
Jeremiah Trotter
Derek Anderson (cards)
Adalius Thomas
Jevon Kearse
LeCharles Bentley
Antwan Randle El (Skins)
Jerry Porter
Javon Walker (Raiders)
Adam Archleta (Skins and Bears)
Brandon Meriweather (bears)

I thought, in your opening post, you defined POSITIVE as those free agents who were "very productive players and contributors to teams over an extended or a significant period of time.

I consider free agents who contributed to their teams WINNING THE SUPER BOWL to be productive players for the most SIGNIFICANT PERIOD OF TIME there possibly could be. And each and every one of the names I provided contributed to their teams winning the Super Bowl. (I left off those free agents who were on IR).

I think the record reflects pretty clearly that 3 of the past 4 Super Bowl Champs were chock full of veterans acquired from other teams.

As for but 3 of the names you took issue with, Hargrove and McCray were part of the Saints DLine that harassed Favre all day in the NFC Championship game (some say they played dirty, but I can only say how thrilled I remain that they denied Favre/The Vikes a berth in the Super Bowl) and Jacoby Jones not only scored arguably the most important TD for the Ravens in the Super Bowl he caught the Hail Mary in the playoff victory over the Broncos.

While many Packer fans are aghast that any team would dare delve in free agency, these types of players can, and indeed, have made the difference in their teams winning the Super Bowl.

If we have to consider everyone that helped win the Super Bowl, then the Packer should be able to count Erik Walden, Matt Wilhelm, The LB #53 &  whose name escapes me & Chalie Peprah as key free agents! They helped the Packers win the SB!

The point was for more high profile players with higher profile salaries. Not guys who were basically on the street because in fairness, GB does pick those up.

AldenRoche

« Reply #16 on: March 15, 2013, 11:59:09 PM »
The Ravens started 5 veteran free agents (not street free agents) and one player (Boldin) acquired via trade in the Super Bowl. Jacoby Jones whom you disparage was the 3rd WR and a key returner. He helped win a game for them over Dallas with a return for a TD not to mention the return to start the second half of the Super Bowl.

The Giants started 6 FAs and rotated another in frequently along their Dline. The PK was also a FA.

Few of these signees were big names signed to big contracts (Antrel Rolle being perhaps the biggest name). But that is what, IMO, makes Jerry Reese and Ozzie Newsome the 2 best GMs in the game today.

They neither overspend wildly like a Dan Snyder or a Jerry Jones nor ignore free agency completely like some GMs do.

Again this year the Giants have signed a promising S from the Steelers, a K in Josh Brown I was hoping the Pack would sign last year when Crosby was historically bad, and of course Cullen Jenkins. None of these have been blockbuster deals.

The Ravens were hit hard by Flacco's big new K. They had to shed contracts and lost some key components from their Super Bowl winning team. Nonetheless, they signed Canty and Marcus Spears 2 prototype 3-4 DEs that we are so obviously lacking.

Meanwhile in GB we have lost Saturday, Driver, Jennings, Woodson and Walden (all necessary departures IMO) as well as Crabtree and likely Jones and we have signed ... Francois.

I guess as long as AJ Hawk's $7M cap hit has been moved around to make it look like he took a pay cut we should all be satisfied.

Offline gbfaninaz

• All Pro
« Reply #17 on: March 16, 2013, 05:31:58 AM »
The Ravens started 5 veteran free agents (not street free agents) and one player (Boldin) acquired via trade in the Super Bowl. Jacoby Jones whom you disparage was the 3rd WR and a key returner. He helped win a game for them over Dallas with a return for a TD not to mention the return to start the second half of the Super Bowl.

The Giants started 6 FAs and rotated another in frequently along their Dline. The PK was also a FA.

Few of these signees were big names signed to big contracts (Antrel Rolle being perhaps the biggest name). But that is what, IMO, makes Jerry Reese and Ozzie Newsome the 2 best GMs in the game today.

They neither overspend wildly like a Dan Snyder or a Jerry Jones nor ignore free agency completely like some GMs do.

Again this year the Giants have signed a promising S from the Steelers, a K in Josh Brown I was hoping the Pack would sign last year when Crosby was historically bad, and of course Cullen Jenkins. None of these have been blockbuster deals.

The Ravens were hit hard by Flacco's big new K. They had to shed contracts and lost some key components from their Super Bowl winning team. Nonetheless, they signed Canty and Marcus Spears 2 prototype 3-4 DEs that we are so obviously lacking.

Meanwhile in GB we have lost Saturday, Driver, Jennings, Woodson and Walden (all necessary departures IMO) as well as Crabtree and likely Jones and we have signed ... Francois.

I guess as long as AJ Hawk's $7M cap hit has been moved around to make it look like he took a pay cut we should all be satisfied.

Ya know, Alden's post is an excellent example of how free agency can be properly and prudently used. You can improve your team, and give yourself more options in the draft to maximize that tool of team improvement without being Danny Snider stupid about it.
That's what the two camps here can't seem to reconcile.
The problem with 'Thompson's way' is that he refuses to see this. Of the three major tools to build/improve a team- the draft, free agency, and trades, in that order- Thompson rigidly applies his talents to the draft only.
This results in a 'nice' team; a team with it's cap and finances in order, a team that will always win 10-12 games a year, make the playoffs, be talked about as a "contender"- mostly because "they have Aaron Rodgers"; sound familiar?- but fall short in the big games against the true contenders.
The dynamic is changing . It's becoming "win now baby". And while you can't say Thompson's way is wrong, much less stupid, it's inflexibility will not be able to deal with it. While others step outside their comfort zones to make moves designed solely to get them enough of an edge to win that year's Super Bowl, the Packers will continue to move from side to side; never dropping too far, but never rising much if any further than they are. There will always be one or more teams improving more than them. And it will always be someone else hoisting that nice little silver trophy. Unless you're willing to do what's necessary now and then instead of what's safe all the time, 'tomorrow' will never come.

Offline gbfaninaz

• All Pro
« Reply #18 on: March 16, 2013, 05:45:58 AM »
Alden, the only problem I have with your post is the Flacco part. If you want to get or keep top, key players, it's gonna cost a lot of money. Period. Ante up or sit down. What should the Packers response be when Rodgers tells them he wants more- say 7 yrs, $150M, with at least 1/2 guaranteed ? Not return his calls, or get busy finding a way to make it work?
Here's the thing with Flacco's deal; they have time to figure it out and make it work.His cap hit is actually lower this and next season than it was going to be this season. The Ravens will have 2 or 3 more drafts to find younger, much cheaper players who can play as well or better than the higher priced vets they will replace. There will be retirements, cuts, renegotiations, and cap increases. There will be time and options; it doesn't have to be they'll have Flacco and 52 minimum wage guys.