October 19, 2019, 02:13:27 AM

Author Topic: Your Safety pick at #26?  (Read 9611 times)

Offline LMG

• Administrator
  • HOF Member
    • Where are we?
Your Safety pick at #26?
« on: March 26, 2013, 04:36:24 PM »
If Safety is your wish at #26 who, of the following, would you want if available and why?

Kenny Vaccaro - Texas     

Eric Reid - L.S.U.         

Matt Elam - Florida
If you are not the lead dog the view never changes.

Offline backthepack4ever

• All Pro
Re: Your Safety pick at #26?
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2013, 06:27:56 PM »
Vaccaro by far.  I dont see him falling to 26 but he would be a steal if he did.  He is more complete over the other to.  Has nice size.  The packers need a FS type who can cover the other 2 struggle a little more in this role.  Elam is short and i think would have problems with good TEs  I like Reid but not in the 1st. 

50PoundHead

« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2013, 07:33:23 PM »
Vaccaro by far.  I dont see him falling to 26 but he would be a steal if he did.  He is more complete over the other to.  Has nice size.  The packers need a FS type who can cover the other 2 struggle a little more in this role.  Elam is short and i think would have problems with good TEs  I like Reid but not in the 1st.

Agree with this take. 

Offline bbayley

• HOF Member
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2013, 05:36:55 AM »
Vaccaro would definitely be the first choice, but I have a feeling Elam might end up as the best of the group when it's all said and done.  Love his instincts on the field

Offline SSG

• HOF Member
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2013, 10:06:52 AM »
Vaccaro is a no brainer.  He has the size and athletism you need/ want.
Act your age, not your shoe size.

Offline ThatGuy284

• HOF Member
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2013, 11:51:40 AM »
Vaccaro seems the clear choice but also don't see him being available.  I'm intrigued by Elam.  My only concern is at his size he seems a little redundant to McMillian although I think right now he may be significantly better coverage wise then McMillian.  I think he's going to be a really good player in the league and wouldn't bat an eye if he was the pick. Reid doesn't do much for me.

A round later I'm really wondering if Amerson wouldn't make a good choice as a hybrid CB/S.

Offline WTX_Cheese

• All Pro
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2013, 12:14:58 PM »
I agree with the others that with the original trio to choose from, I'd select Vaccarro.

I do, however, think that Jonathan Cyprien - Florida Int. is going to jump up and get selected in the first round. He might even be the first Safety selected. He ran a few 4.6's but also ran in the 4.5's but his 10 yard split (I think it was around 1.52) was pretty good and I like his instincts and physicality. I'd consider him at #26 or maybe if we traded down a few spots.

Offline Eric

• Second String
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2013, 06:16:21 PM »
I would take Reid, but Vaccaro is close.  Wouldn't even consider Elam.

Offline bbayley

• HOF Member
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2013, 04:54:42 PM »

Just out of curiosity why is that?

Offline claymaker

• HOF Member
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2013, 09:16:19 PM »

Many see Vaccaro as the top Safety in the draft. He has the athleticism and just has the look of a starting NFL Safety. Reid has that as well, but with potentially more upside since he isn't as polished as Vaccaro. Still, Vaccaro>Reid imo.

I don't like Elam in the first round at all. He is too short for a Safety, like 5'10, and that's being generous. I think Elam would be better suited for CB than Safety due to his size.

I honestly prefer Phillip Thomas over Reid and Vaccaro because you can get him in the second, which means better value for arguably the same player. With guys like Cyprien stealing the show you should be able to wait it out and grab Thomas in the second. Phillip Thomas is also considered by experts to be on that end of round one bubble, so you might not get him at a bargain price. He led the college ranks with 8 INTs and is a battering ram for a tackler. He just needs to polish his game e.g- takes bad angles in run support.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2013, 09:17:51 PM by claymaker »

Offline bbayley

• HOF Member
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2013, 06:27:14 AM »

Many see Vaccaro as the top Safety in the draft. He has the athleticism and just has the look of a starting NFL Safety. Reid has that as well, but with potentially more upside since he isn't as polished as Vaccaro. Still, Vaccaro>Reid imo.

I don't like Elam in the first round at all. He is too short for a Safety, like 5'10, and that's being generous. I think Elam would be better suited for CB than Safety due to his size.

I honestly prefer Phillip Thomas over Reid and Vaccaro because you can get him in the second, which means better value for arguably the same player. With guys like Cyprien stealing the show you should be able to wait it out and grab Thomas in the second. Phillip Thomas is also considered by experts to be on that end of round one bubble, so you might not get him at a bargain price. He led the college ranks with 8 INTs and is a battering ram for a tackler. He just needs to polish his game e.g- takes bad angles in run support.

Thanks for the insight claymaker.

I wouldn't be opposed to Thomas, and if we could get him at the end of the second that would probably be a pretty good value.

I like Elam a lot.  I understand he's really small for the position but he reminds me a lot of Ed Reed in the way he plays the ball.  I feel like our defense could really use a guy with a nose for the ball above almost everything else and Elam is the best in the draft at that in my opinion.

Offline net

• Second String
  • Please get familiar with our Forums Rules & Guidelines.
« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2013, 06:31:41 AM »
Vaccaro then Elam.

Offline Eric

• Second String
« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2013, 11:09:19 AM »
Elam doesn't have ideal size and I don't see the athleticism when compared to Reid and Vaccaro.  Haven't ever seen Cyprien play.  I'd rather the Packers draft Elam's teammate Evans in the middle of the draft than Elam in round 2.  Whitt and Perry are darn good coaches.  Give them an athlete and they'll teach him to play to his ability.

I'll change my statement.  If I have to take one at 26, it's Vaccaro.  If I have the choice between Vaccaro at 26 or Reid with a trade down or in round 2, it's Reid.  Vaccaro is the better player right now.

Offline armchair qb

• All Pro
« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2013, 05:30:08 AM »
I actually like some of the middle round guys quite a bit(P. Thomas, JJ Wilcox, and Rambo).  Vacarro will likely be gone.  I like Elam a lot.  He makes plays.  I think he will be a probowl caliber safety in the NFL.  Yes, he is a bit short but I think that argument is finally losing its ground as players keep breaking into positions in the NFL even when they don't fit the prototype body for the spot.

While Vacarro was good in coverage in college, I think he'll struggle a little in the NFL.  I don't think he's very fluid and his speed is very average.  I'm very interested to see where Cyprien goes in this draft.

Offline Pugger

• HOF Member
« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2013, 09:02:16 AM »
The only one of these 3 worth a first round pick - Vacarro - will be long gone by pick #26.    :-\