October 20, 2019, 11:42:15 AM

Author Topic: Your Safety pick at #26?  (Read 9614 times)

Offline Gregg

• HOF Member
Re: Your Safety pick at #26?
« Reply #15 on: April 02, 2013, 06:11:48 PM »
I think Vaccaro is gone at 26.

I would take Reid over Elam if I had to.

But in reality, if it was me, I would wait until round two and take Thomas.  Better value pick.

I think we should take a DE in round one.

Offline SunshinePacker

• HOF Member
« Reply #16 on: April 04, 2013, 08:44:10 AM »
Really confused at all the anti-Elam sentiment. He's 2 inchees shorter than Vaccaro ans weights 7 lbs less and yet Elam ran the 40 in 4.43 vs Vacarro at 4.59; that's a rather large difference. Sure, Vaccaro is the better coverage safety (though i would argue not by a whole lot) but realistically this teams needs an in-the-box safety rather than a coverage guy. Elam is a much more powerful tackler than Vaccaro and has done it against a much higher level of competition and, for all the discussion about Vaccaro's coverage skills, Elam has one more INT in one year less of play.

Offline LMG

• Administrator
  • HOF Member
    • Where are we?
« Reply #17 on: April 04, 2013, 09:51:14 AM »
Elam is going to be a good player in the NFL and actually is rated/ranked high at the Safety position at a lot of  Draft sites.

Think, IMO, that he will go pretty high...even in the 1st.
If you are not the lead dog the view never changes.

Offline OneTwoSixFive

• HOF Member
Unusual Safety pick at #88 ?
« Reply #18 on: April 04, 2013, 01:16:33 PM »
Does anyone like the idea of using Zaviar Gooden (OLB Missouri) as a safety. He was a safety, before being converted to OLB as he got bigger. He is 6'2", 234, can jump through the roof,  is super athletic, runs in the mid 4.4's. He is physical enough to keep working after contact. In a league where bigger safeties are desired to counter the TE threat or bigger receivers, he could fit the bill. He is not a finished product, but could well be had for the Packers 3rd round pick at #88.
(ricky) "Personally, I'm putting this in a box, driving a stake through its heart, firing a silver bullet into its (empty) head, nailing it shut, loading it into a rocket and firing it into the sun. "

(Pink Floyd) "Set the controls for the heart of the sun"

Offline net

• Second String
  • Please get familiar with our Forums Rules & Guidelines.
« Reply #19 on: April 07, 2013, 06:01:32 AM »
Vaccaro will be gone. Elam is a tough guy but a shade small. Reid would be the right value at the Packers draft slot.

Offline bbayley

• HOF Member
Re: Unusual Safety pick at #88 ?
« Reply #20 on: April 09, 2013, 03:34:30 AM »
In a league where bigger safeties are desired to counter the TE threat or bigger receivers, he could fit the bill. He is not a finished product, but could well be had for the Packers 3rd round pick at #88.

That's a very good point, but do we really need someone to match up with tight ends?  It seemed to me from what I remember our safeties did fairly well in terms of tackles yet I can recall numerous times where they couldn't cover backs or receivers for the life of them.  That's why I personally think a ball-hawk/rangy player like Elam might be a great fit in our defense, even if he would be a little unconventional for us

Offline number12

• Starter
« Reply #21 on: April 10, 2013, 07:00:16 PM »
Safety is definitely a position of need for GB.  With Hawk and Jones possibly manning ILB again, lots of tackles will need to be made in the secondary, and we've seen the paddy-cake tackling of MD and Burnett. 

If a guy like Reid is the real deal, I'd be happy with a stud safety.

Offline griz145389

• All Pro
« Reply #22 on: April 13, 2013, 02:44:56 PM »
Safety is a deep position this year.  I would like a guy like Josh Evans if we could snag him in the 4th. 

Offline OneTwoSixFive

• HOF Member
« Reply #23 on: April 13, 2013, 04:32:52 PM »
Safety is definitely a position of need for GB.  With Hawk and Jones possibly manning ILB again, lots of tackles will need to be made in the secondary, and we've seen the paddy-cake tackling of MD and Burnett. 

If a guy like Reid is the real deal, I'd be happy with a stud safety.
I'd be happy with a stud ANYWHERE  :)
Studs are hard to come by.
(ricky) "Personally, I'm putting this in a box, driving a stake through its heart, firing a silver bullet into its (empty) head, nailing it shut, loading it into a rocket and firing it into the sun. "

(Pink Floyd) "Set the controls for the heart of the sun"

Bama Pack Fan

« Reply #24 on: April 13, 2013, 05:41:52 PM »
Safety is a deep position this year.  I would like a guy like Josh Evans if we could snag him in the 4th.
+1,  good value

Offline Redt

• Starter
« Reply #25 on: April 14, 2013, 07:38:35 AM »
I would be shocked if TT went S in round #1. The guy I would love to see in rd. 3-4 is Shawn Williams from Georgia. This is the guy who called out his defensive teammates (many early rd prospects) as being soft and turned their season around last year. Toughness is definitely lacking on GB defense and this guy will bring it and make others around him better. Additionally, will be a great special teamer from day 1, think Bernard Pollard.

Offline Mazrimiv

• HOF Member
« Reply #26 on: April 14, 2013, 09:31:44 AM »
S at #26 would not shock me, but I would not be particularly happy.  It seems likely that there will be DL available who I'd rather have.

Offline TFecht

• Rookie
« Reply #27 on: April 14, 2013, 10:41:57 AM »
While both would/could be good players, Elam scares me only because the Packers are in a division with Calvin Johnson, Brandon Marshall, Brandon Pettigrew, Kyle Rudolph, Martelius Bennett.  All of those guys Elam would be asked to help cover.  They are all 6'4" or taller.  Elam is 5"9" if his cleats are long that day.  So he can't really help out deep with the speed and size of the WR's, and he isn't big enough to take on the tight ends at the line of scrimmage.  So what would his role be?  I think Elam could potentially be a good player on a team like the Patriots where the their isn't a bunch of tall receivers and tight ends in their division to play.  But the Packers corners aren't exactly tall and muscular and neither is Burnett.  I don't know that adding another short individual really helps out in the defensive backfield. IMO.

Offline KerryC

• Rookie
  • go Packers, Badgers and Waunakee Warriors
« Reply #28 on: April 14, 2013, 11:29:31 AM »
Agree! With size of some of the receivers and TE's in our division a "smallish" safety is probably not the best addition to our defense. I also think TT is more likely to take a d-lineman or OLB type early in the draft versus a safety. We shall see soon!  ;)
KerryC

Offline Hands

• HOF Member
    • Uncover
« Reply #29 on: April 15, 2013, 05:14:42 AM »
It's a deep draft for safeties, but not necessarily for top end talent. I don't see TT pulling a trigger for any FS/SS in the first round. The talent difference between them and 2-3rd round guys isn't that great. I expect TT to draft another player like Collins who is a CB and turn into a FS. I think Gertz at Connecticut and the kid from NC State fit the mold.
In the land of the blind.....the one eye man is king!