August 18, 2019, 09:00:00 PM

Author Topic: Your Safety pick at #26?  (Read 9474 times)

Offline Hincha

• HOF Member
Re: Your Safety pick at #26?
« Reply #30 on: April 15, 2013, 08:05:40 AM »
Agree! With size of some of the receivers and TE's in our division a "smallish" safety is probably not the best addition to our defense. I also think TT is more likely to take a d-lineman or OLB type early in the draft versus a safety. We shall see soon!  ;)

I agree and for this reason I am not big Elam fan...   one of his weaknesses I have read is 50/50 balls in the air.  I do not see him matching up well with tall WRs or TEs as a result.

Offline TAYLORBOY

• All Pro
« Reply #31 on: April 16, 2013, 06:08:40 AM »
Safety?

Do I think we need better safety play? Absolutely, it is a must to a good reliable Defense

Do I think we draft a safety in the 1st 3 rounds? I'd say less than 50-50

McMillian played too many snaps last year, his rookie year, to be dismissed.

McMillian probably possesses the same qualities, if not more, than many of the prospects in this draft

5'11" 203, Ran the 40 in 4.51 at the combine before probably getting himself drafted with a 4.36 clocking March 22 at pro day in Orono. Vertical jump of 39, broad jump of 10-6, 17 reps on the bench and Wonderlic of 15. Arms were 30¼, hands were 91/8.

His only pre-draft visits were Green Bay, the Giants and the Jets. "He made plays at the line of scrimmage and did a nice job breaking on balls in the deep middle," said Capers. "He showed the kind of quickness and speed we like at safety. We feel he can play strong or free." His time of 6.69 seconds in the three-cone agility run was the best of the 16 safeties that tried it at the combine.

McMillian played in the slot in coverage for the dime package, so they feel he can cover

Put Nick Collins same draft criteria along side of Jerron's they are mirrors of each other. Collins took a couple years to become the player we all cherished......thinking like TT and the other Packer brass I'll bet they feel the same way, McMillian is another Collins, just needs time like Nick did.

Put McMmillians credentials and Md Jennings plus the physical freak Richardson in the mix, as much as I would like instant competence at safety, I think we ride with what we have.

Offline SunshinePacker

• HOF Member
« Reply #32 on: April 16, 2013, 07:09:02 AM »
While both would/could be good players, Elam scares me only because the Packers are in a division with Calvin Johnson, Brandon Marshall, Brandon Pettigrew, Kyle Rudolph, Martelius Bennett.  All of those guys Elam would be asked to help cover.  They are all 6'4" or taller.  Elam is 5"9" if his cleats are long that day.  So he can't really help out deep with the speed and size of the WR's, and he isn't big enough to take on the tight ends at the line of scrimmage.  So what would his role be?  I think Elam could potentially be a good player on a team like the Patriots where the their isn't a bunch of tall receivers and tight ends in their division to play.  But the Packers corners aren't exactly tall and muscular and neither is Burnett.  I don't know that adding another short individual really helps out in the defensive backfield. IMO.

First, Elam is 5'10", I know many will say it's only an inch but that's only two inches below Vacarro. I'm sorry but there isn't a safety in the NFL that can cover Johnson 1-on-1 so we can eliminate him from the conversation (if you're defense has a safety matched up on Johnson, you're defensive coordinator needs to look long and hard at his gameplan). Second, Elam has played against both Julio Jones, AJ Green, Alshon Jeffrey, Rueben Randle, Justin Hunter, Cordarelle Patterson and did pretty well against them. Pure height is overrated much of the time. Jumping ability and being able to judge WHEN to jump are just as important. Plus, I think we're focusing on the wrong thing. We already have a starting safety that's taller than any highly rated safety in this draft. Why would we want a smaller safety in Elam/Reid/Vacarro covering those guys when Burnett is better equipped? Elam would actually be a better choice to cover smaller backs out of the backfield since he IS built lower to the ground.

Saying all that, I will be VERY disappointed in a first or second round pick at safety. The secondary is the strongest part of this defense (second strongest unit overall behind quarterback) and there are too many holes elsewhere.

Offline SSG

• HOF Member
« Reply #33 on: April 16, 2013, 12:23:52 PM »
Safety?

Do I think we need better safety play? Absolutely, it is a must to a good reliable Defense

McMillian probably possesses the same qualities, if not more, than many of the prospects in this draft

5'11" 203, Ran the 40 in 4.51 at the combine before probably getting himself drafted with a 4.36 clocking March 22 at pro day in Orono. Vertical jump of 39, broad jump of 10-6, 17 reps on the bench and Wonderlic of 15. Arms were 30¼, hands were 91/8.

His only pre-draft visits were Green Bay, the Giants and the Jets. "He made plays at the line of scrimmage and did a nice job breaking on balls in the deep middle," said Capers. "He showed the kind of quickness and speed we like at safety. We feel he can play strong or free." His time of 6.69 seconds in the three-cone agility run was the best of the 16 safeties that tried it at the combine.

McMillian played in the slot in coverage for the dime package, so they feel he can cover

Put Nick Collins same draft criteria along side of Jerron's they are mirrors of each other. Collins took a couple years to become the player we all cherished......thinking like TT and the other Packer brass I'll bet they feel the same way, McMillian is another Collins, just needs time like Nick did.

Put McMmillians credentials and Md Jennings plus the physical freak Richardson in the mix, as much as I would like instant competence at safety, I think we ride with what we have.

I like McMillian but he has a LONG LONG LONG way to go before I start mentioning him in the same sentence  as Nick Collins.  Nick Collins may have been the best safety in the NFL when we lost him to his injury.  Our defense has yet to revocer from the loss of #36. 
Act your age, not your shoe size.

Offline TAYLORBOY

• All Pro
« Reply #34 on: April 17, 2013, 09:32:20 AM »
Safety?

I like McMillian but he has a LONG LONG LONG way to go before I start mentioning him in the same sentence  as Nick Collins.  Nick Collins may have been the best safety in the NFL when we lost him to his injury.  Our defense has yet to revocer from the loss of #36.

I agree with that IF you are talking Nick at the end of his shortened career and Jerron's rookie year..

Look at their DRAFT CRITERIA and they are very similar...size, speed and coverage ability

Nick didn't hit his Pro Bowl level until after his 3rd year or so

Jerron is on the deveolpment trail yet and like Nick did has the qualities...give him time like we did Nick....then we can compare apple to apples

Offline Hands

• HOF Member
    • Uncover
« Reply #35 on: April 17, 2013, 09:40:58 AM »
One thing about Collins was he didn't have very good players starting in front of him as a rookie. One thing is that Collins showed what he could pretty quickly just not consistently.
In the land of the blind.....the one eye man is king!