September 22, 2019, 04:00:10 PM

Author Topic: Michael Huff released by the Raiders  (Read 2649 times)

Offline Beagle

• HOF Member
Michael Huff released by the Raiders
« on: March 12, 2013, 07:31:48 PM »
Bring him in? He might be expensive though.....

Raiders released DB Michael Huff.
The versatile defensive back was set to make $4 million in base salary, plus a $4 million roster bonus. Parked at corner last season, he was supposedly shifting back to safety in 2013. Corners make more money, but we'd assume Huff will shop himself as a safety, with his versatility being a sticking point. Oakland is going to be historically bad in 2013.
“It’s not whether you get knocked down, it’s whether you get up.” -V. Lombardi

Offline Ellis269

• HOF Member
Re: Michael Huff released by the Raiders
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2013, 09:02:49 PM »
This is exactly what Oakland has to do. Cut dead. Weight and bloated contracts and then build through young, cheap free agents and the draft. They might be bad in the near future, but they do have some quality young players who need to get on the field and gain experience. Get them a legit young QB and everything changes very quickly in the NFL.

maxman44

« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2013, 02:03:53 PM »
Report: Raiders DB Michael Huff has visit with Packers set up

http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/200101521.html

Offline bbayley

• HOF Member
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2013, 03:15:30 PM »
Report: Raiders DB Michael Huff has visit with Packers set up

http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/200101521.html

Best line in the story:

"The Packers are probably looking to get Huff on the cheap."   (Shocking, I know)

But in all seriousness I'm pretty pleased with this.  I know there are others who don't think he represents an upgrade but I think he could play one side and Burnett could play the other which would be a fairly serviceable combo in my opinion.

I don't want to make too much of the visit itself but I do think this is the time to read a little bit more into the visits as the initial FA wave has cooled off and this is when Ted usually makes his signings, if any at all.

Offline LMG

• Administrator
  • HOF Member
    • Where are we?
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2013, 03:22:10 PM »
Here is a good read if you haven't already;

Breaking Down the Packers' Depth Chart After...By Bob Fox
If you are not the lead dog the view never changes.

Offline pacman5252

• Starter
Michael Huff
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2013, 04:45:34 PM »
Thoughts?

Apparently we're looking at him and have a visit line up (per JS). He is probably more athletic than anyone on the roster right now and would probably be an upgrade over MD Jennings. I've always thought he has range, just not great ball skills.

Offline B

• HOF Member
Re: Michael Huff
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2013, 03:46:51 AM »
Thoughts?

Apparently we're looking at him and have a visit line up (per JS). He is probably more athletic than anyone on the roster right now and would probably be an upgrade over MD Jennings. I've always thought he has range, just not great ball skills.

At the right price Michael Huff is an intriguing free agent prospect. We'll see what Darren Perry thinks with his recommendation post Green Bay visit. Of the teams interested in Huff's services Green Bay has the most flexibility to make this signing happen today.
The Green Bay Packers never lost a football game.
They just ran out of time.
-Vince Lombardi