September 22, 2019, 04:32:35 PM

Author Topic: Agents and lies  (Read 2945 times)

Offline philepps85

• All Pro
Agents and lies
« on: March 28, 2013, 07:25:46 PM »
I realize the subject line, "Agents and lies," is an oxymoron, sort of like "sports journalism." But I always thought agents were more of the slight exaggeration, white-lie breed.

The recent Steven Jackson and Michael Huff signings have me thinking whether agents are really the source of Packer fans' frustration. Apparently, when it was reported that the Packers "had expressed an interest" in these guys, it was inflated (in Jackson's case) or outright fabricated (in Huff's case) by the agents.

I can't speak for others, but, for me, it's that initial report of interest that gets me excited each March, knowing that good players can be had for good value. Now that I realize in most cases the Packers never had serious interest in these free agents and it's just a leverage ploy from the agents, next time I won't get excited — and won't feel confused or let down when some other team signs the guy for pennies.

From now on I'll try to direct my anger toward the smarmy negotiators who ride the coattails of the athletes, rather than the GM who's simply trying to put a better product on the field.

AldenRoche

Re: Agents and lies
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2013, 11:03:59 PM »
Pretty sure I am not unhappy with any agents over the fact the Pack's deficiencies have not been addressed this offseason.

Not really their fault that GB does not take part in free agency.

Offline Pugger

• HOF Member
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2013, 07:26:23 AM »
Pretty sure I am not unhappy with any agents over the fact the Pack's deficiencies have not been addressed this offseason.

Not really their fault that GB does not take part in free agency.

If these agents know we don't dabble in FA when the bidding is frantic why do they release these "reports"?  The only reason we see any of this garbage is because some agent is trying to drum up a bidding war for their client and they hope that the team truly interested in their player fall for it.  If some GM plays that game he's a dope.  I'm glad TT stays out of that melee.

grabthar

« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2013, 08:09:52 AM »
I just think it is humorous that people actually think Mr. Thompson is going to change his ways and go after free agents. Every year people get their hopes up around a player or two and then their hopes are dashed.  It's a lot easier if you go into the off-season knowing that Thompson isn't going to do anything in the UFA market other than a few low level backup type players and most of the time they are cut before the season starts. 

Mr. Thompson will Draft
Mr. Thompson will Sign UDFA
Mr. Thompson will re-sign his own players
Mr. Thompson will sign a couple low tier FAs

That's it. Nothing more. That's how he operates.  The two names everyone brings up were not top tier FAs that had a bunch of other team interested.

Woodson, while great for the Packers, only had 2 teams interested in him and Tampa wanted him to play Safety.  He had been injured for part of the last two years, including a broken leg in 2005. He was known as a malcontent for complaining about Callahan in Oakland as well as being injury prone. Per Woodson's own words, he didn't want to come to GB at first, but they were the only team that actually offered him a contract.

Pickett, who has also worked out well, was signed for under 4 million a year, not at all a top tier FA.

Offline cpk1994

• HOF Member
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2013, 08:17:17 AM »
I just think it is humorous that people actually think Mr. Thompson is going to change his ways and go after free agents. Every year people get their hopes up around a player or two and then their hopes are dashed.  It's a lot easier if you go into the off-season knowing that Thompson isn't going to do anything in the UFA market other than a few low level backup type players and most of the time they are cut before the season starts. 

Mr. Thompson will Draft

That's it. Nothing more. That's how he operates.  The two names everyone brings up were not top tier FAs that had a bunch of other team interested.

Woodson, while great for the Packers, only had 2 teams interested in him and Tampa wanted him to play Safety.  He had been injured for part of the last two years, including a broken leg in 2005. He was known as a malcontent for complaining about Callahan in Oakland as well as being injury prone. Per Woodson's own words, he didn't want to come to GB at first, but they were the only team that actually offered him a contract.

Pickett, who has also worked out well, was signed for under 4 million a year, not at all a top tier FA.
Then how would you define LaVar Arrington and Adam Vinitieri? TT went after those two and had the highest offers on the table for both.
"Aaron Rodgers is a baaaaaaad man" - Stephen A. Smith

Offline Phishtar

• Second String
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2013, 08:56:28 AM »

Mr. Thompson will Draft

Then how would you define LaVar Arrington and Adam Vinitieri? TT went after those two and had the highest offers on the table for both.

I remember them having interest in Adam Vinitieri, but I never heard they had the highest offer on the table.  And I can't find anything online to support that.  Just that he visited for a couple days but left without a contract.
Besides, one thing to note about TT and free agents, his two high profile signings (Wood and Pickett) came very early in his tenure when there was more of an emphasis on rebuilding the talent base that had been very weak when he showed up.  It would stand to reason he'd be more active with free agents early on as it would take a couple drafts to restock the cupboards, so to speak.  Given that Vinitieri and Arrington were FAs around this same timeline (2005-2007), that would make sense.  But to Grabthar's point, since then he's been very consistent.  This shouldn't be a surprise to anyone that he doesn't make splash free agent signings. 

grabthar

« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2013, 11:31:09 AM »

Mr. Thompson will Draft

I don't know anything about Viniteri having an offer on the table.

I heard that Arrington supposedly did through rumor sites and message boards, but have not seen any evidence of it.  From what I read from Posten, his agent, he said that the Packers were "in the running" but doesn't say they were the top team.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2417903

This was in 2006 before he signed Woodson and after Sherman left. As far as I can tell, he has done nothing similar in the last 7 years.

AldenRoche

« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2013, 12:03:10 PM »

Mr. Thompson will Draft

While what you write is all pretty much true, I only wish TT had done as you say he does last offseason and we would not have wasted over $3M on an obviously over-the-hill Center. Not only did we flush that $ down the sewer but EDS did not get a chance to prove he is worthy, or unworthy, of being the starting C.

Saturday was a really, really bad signing.

Offline mitch connor

• Starter
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2013, 01:05:09 PM »

While what you write is all pretty much true, I only wish TT had done as you say he does last offseason and we would not have wasted over $3M on an obviously over-the-hill Center. Not only did we flush that $ down the sewer but EDS did not get a chance to prove he is worthy, or unworthy, of being the starting C.

Saturday was a really, really bad signing.

I actually agree with this. I think TT handles free agency better than any GM in the league, but Saturday was a tremendous blunder. At least it wasn't a big long-term contract that would handicap us salary-wise going forward, though.