November 14, 2019, 08:15:43 AM

Author Topic: Tyson Clabo  (Read 5124 times)

Offline davekenya

• HOF Member
Tyson Clabo
« on: April 06, 2013, 09:56:36 AM »
Tyson Clabo is a fairly decent player recently released.  I didn't give him much consideration until I read that he also has played some time on the left side.  Does anyone know if he plays LT as well as OT out of curiosity?  It's also mentioned that he's considered a June 1st cut -- does that mean he can't be signed until then? or that there would be different cap considerations? 

Online B

• HOF Member
Re: Tyson Clabo
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2013, 10:14:11 AM »
Tyson Clabo is a fairly decent player recently released.  I didn't give him much consideration until I read that he also has played some time on the left side.  Does anyone know if he plays LT as well as OT out of curiosity?  It's also mentioned that he's considered a June 1st cut -- does that mean he can't be signed until then? or that there would be different cap considerations?
Dave, Tyson is a solid right tackle. Team in need of a RT are going to get into a competitive bidding process for his services.
The Green Bay Packers never lost a football game.
They just ran out of time.
-Vince Lombardi

Offline Ellis269

• HOF Member
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2013, 11:27:23 PM »
So far, there's not been any movement on him. Now that we're a week out from drafting two new running backs to go with whatever combination of Harris, Kuhn, Starks and Green the Packers go with, I'm really kind of holding out hope that TT maybe goes out of character and makes a play for Tyson Clabo.

He's not that old (just over 31), he has great size (6'6" 330 lbs.), and he has experience in a zone scheme and in a power scheme and has excelled in both. If the Packers were to add him and go with a line of Bulaga, Lang, EDS, Sitton and Clabo they'd be just as strong in pass pro and significantly better in the running game. Rodgers and the RBs all would be rewarded with a bigger, more physical line without significantly being downgraded at any position. Plus the depth would be light years ahead of where they were last year. Pick the top 4 (or 5) out of Sherrod, Newhouse, Bakhtiari, Tretter, Barclay, VanRoten and Datko and roll with it.

Another bonus is that they won't lose the comp picks they're set to get from Jennings and Walden because he was cut by Atlanta. He doesn't factor into the equation. I'd offer him a fair 1 or 2 year contract with some incentives for playing time and achievements then work to develop a player to step in and play after he leaves.

Offline Draft Hobbyist

• HOF Member
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2013, 01:24:06 AM »

I doubt TT makes a move like this, but it's worth talking about. If a player is cut before June 1st then the team that cut him gets the option of spreading the salary cap hit over 1 or 2 years.

Offline Draft Hobbyist

• HOF Member
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2013, 03:51:59 AM »
Oops. I was wrong on the salary cap thing. If the player is cut after June 1st, then the salary cap hit effectively gets spread out over 2 years because this year would take the signing bonus hit for this year, and next year would take the signing bonus for all future years. If the player is cut before June 1st, the this year and all future year's signing bonus hit the cap all this year.

Tyson Clabo also was in a MBS in ATL. Would he fit in a ZBS?
« Last Edit: May 03, 2013, 03:58:52 AM by Draft Hobbyist »

Offline Lodestar

• HOF Member
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2013, 07:54:33 AM »
I like the idea of bringing in Clabo, but I'm curious why a team with legitimate Super Bowl aspirations would cut him? Were they really strapped for cash or something? Did they have someone better on the roster?

Online ricky

• HOF Member
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2013, 08:00:41 AM »
TT is not going to consider Clabo. He's 31, he's going to want some pretty serious money (forget about any "league minimum" fantasy), and the Packers just drafted two new OL. They also have decided to reshuffle the line, have Sherrod coming back to see what he can provide, and Barclay played respectably when he filled in for Bulaga last season.
"My hopes are not always realized, but I always hope." Ovid

maxman44

« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2013, 08:15:51 AM »
TT is not going to consider Clabo. He's 31, he's going to want some pretty serious money (forget about any "league minimum" fantasy), and the Packers just drafted two new OL. They also have decided to reshuffle the line, have Sherrod coming back to see what he can provide, and Barclay played respectably when he filled in for Bulaga last season.

I think you are correct ricky...I wish they'd invest in a center...doubt there's anyone worth investing in at this point

Offline Draft Hobbyist

• HOF Member
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2013, 04:25:18 PM »

I don't really think Barclay was that good. He got constant help, and when we tried to let him loose he completely fell on his face. Week 17 against MIN he gave up 3 sacks and a couple of QB hurries. Barclay is a huge liability on the OL.

I read an article somewhere that Clabo might want around a 3-year $15 million deal. He might not get that much because not a lot of teams have much cap space left, so he could end up with a shorter or less lucrative deal. Still, that's probably a good starting point. So the question is, do we want to spend a roster spot and $4-$5 million/year on an OT FA that is 31?

Offline Ellis269

• HOF Member
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2013, 04:47:13 PM »
Year-to-year and with incentives in the contract and I would be okay with giving him between 3-4 million per year. Heck, that's what we were paying Saturday and I'd say that Clabo is a huge step up from the production he gave us. Tyson Clabo is an upgrade at RT from what we have right now. Maybe Sherrod makes it back and looks good enough to eventually start. After almost two full seasons rehabbing, how realistic is it to count on him? Maybe Newhouse wins the job, but will he be any better than he has been at LT? Maybe one of the rookies wins the job, but will they be overmatched? Will Barclay? He looked decent in his limited exposure, but I'm not sure that he isn't better suited for inside. As might be Bakhtiari and Tretter.

What I know, is that Clabo has played well for Atlanta for the past 5 years. He's had no major health issues and age doesn't seem to be a problem for him. It looks like he was a cap casualty, rather than for performance reasons. A couple million dollars, better depth and a proven performer for a high powered, run-first offense sounds like a very good investment to me.

Offline Lazmax

• Starter
« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2013, 05:17:23 PM »
I honestly think Newhouse could/maybe thrive at right tackle

Offline Draft Hobbyist

• HOF Member
« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2013, 06:53:40 PM »
Well, Clabo went to the Dolphins so he isn't an option anymore. All ESPN is reporting about the deal is that it's a 1-year deal.

Offline Ellis269

• HOF Member
« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2013, 07:00:47 PM »
1 year 3.5 million. 1.5 guaranteed. I think that would have been pretty reasonable for a solid veteran starter.

Offline Draft Hobbyist

• HOF Member
« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2013, 07:17:17 PM »
1 year 3.5 million. 1.5 guaranteed. I think that would have been pretty reasonable for a solid veteran starter.

Agreed. Maybe TT didn't want to have to cut a younger guy to fit the veteran on the 53, especially if the team is only going to keep 8 OL's (which is my projection although they could keep 9). It seems that a 1-year deal would have been nice to let our 4th round picks develop, though, and if we had to cut both Barclay and Newhouse I don't think the world would've ended to be honest. We know TT doesn't like guys over 30, though.

Offline Ellis269

• HOF Member
« Reply #14 on: May 06, 2013, 08:27:45 AM »
For just one year, I'd have been willing to guarantee most of that contract and pencil him in at RT. I'd love to see what our new RBs can do behind a road grader like Clabo. Low risk miss here IMO. I think they're more likely to keep 10 over 8. I bet both Barclay and Newhouse would have stuck around even if they had signed Clabo.