August 21, 2018, 04:50:45 AM

Author Topic: VPF's one and only  (Read 2341 times)

Offline VPF

• Second String
VPF's one and only
« on: April 18, 2013, 12:17:13 AM »
Outlook on the 2013 Packers:

I will start off by saying that I actually feel really positive going into next year. I think we could see big improvements from some young guys who got their shot last year, and will grow as a result of it. Other guys I am just hopeful that they can show something this year when they are given the chance. Im talking about offensive guys (DuJuan Harris, Alex Green, Jarret Boykin, Don Barclay, Evan Dietrich-Smith) and defensive guys (Mike Neal, Mike Daniels, Dezman Moses, Davon House, Casey Hayward, Jerron Mcmillian) and there are more. It's very likely that many of these guys will not turn out to be pro bowlers, but I think they can all have a role on this team, and I for one have been very encouraged by their play. So I'm a little more optimistic than most.

I'm also not as worried as some are by the loss of Jennings. The trio of Cobb, Jones, and Nelson is among the best in the league, and we don't know what we have yet in Boykin. We also have Finley in there as a receiving option too, and Alex Green looked like he might develop into a nice pass-catching RB. There are two keys to taking this offense to the next level in my opinion. The first is improved play from the O-Line. The draft is a great way to inject some competition, but really we just need our guys to play better. The second key is staying healthy, and this is something that has killed the Packers as of late. If we can stay healthy at all positions on offense, so that the players can build chemistry over the course of the season, I think this offense can take it to the next level.

On Defence, I think we need to add some depth to the D-Line (wouldn't mind if TT made an offer to the NT they brought in McLendon from the Steelers. I think we could also use some depth at a few other positions like safety and OLB. However, I am pretty confident that our young guys can raise their game next season. It will be weird to see Woodson gone. I'm encouraged by Jerron Mcmillian though. Nick Perry could turn out to be a monster for us next year. His coverage skills will likely be a weakness, but he will be a huge help rushing the passer. He looks like a bull out there, and I'm excited to see what he can do.

So with all that said, here is my mock draft.

TRADE 1st round pick (#26) to SF 49ers for 2nd round pick (#34) and third round pick (#74)
The 49ers have 13 picks, and will never have space for 13 rookies. They will be looking to trade for future picks, or trade up to grab a guy they covet.

2 (#34). Jonathan Cyprien - S - Florida International

2 (#55). Brian Schwenke - C - California

3 (#74). Andre Ellington - RB - Clemson

3 (#88). Brandon Williams - DT - Missouri Southern State

4 (#122). Sean Porter - OLB - Texas A&M

5 (#159). Cobi Hamilton - WR - Arkansas

5 (#167). Roger Gaines - OT - Tennessee St.

6 (#193). Jamaal Johnson-Webb - OG - Alabama St.

7 (#232). Lucas Reed - TE - New Mexico
« Last Edit: April 18, 2013, 12:48:10 AM by VPF »

50PoundHead

Re: VPF's one and only
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2013, 05:41:32 AM »
Outlook on the 2013 Packers:

I will start off by saying that I actually feel really positive going into next year. I think we could see big improvements from some young guys who got their shot last year, and will grow as a result of it. Other guys I am just hopeful that they can show something this year when they are given the chance. Im talking about offensive guys (DuJuan Harris, Alex Green, Jarret Boykin, Don Barclay, Evan Dietrich-Smith) and defensive guys (Mike Neal, Mike Daniels, Dezman Moses, Davon House, Casey Hayward, Jerron Mcmillian) and there are more. It's very likely that many of these guys will not turn out to be pro bowlers, but I think they can all have a role on this team, and I for one have been very encouraged by their play. So I'm a little more optimistic than most.

I'm also not as worried as some are by the loss of Jennings. The trio of Cobb, Jones, and Nelson is among the best in the league, and we don't know what we have yet in Boykin. We also have Finley in there as a receiving option too, and Alex Green looked like he might develop into a nice pass-catching RB. There are two keys to taking this offense to the next level in my opinion. The first is improved play from the O-Line. The draft is a great way to inject some competition, but really we just need our guys to play better. The second key is staying healthy, and this is something that has killed the Packers as of late. If we can stay healthy at all positions on offense, so that the players can build chemistry over the course of the season, I think this offense can take it to the next level.

On Defence, I think we need to add some depth to the D-Line (wouldn't mind if TT made an offer to the NT they brought in McLendon from the Steelers. I think we could also use some depth at a few other positions like safety and OLB. However, I am pretty confident that our young guys can raise their game next season. It will be weird to see Woodson gone. I'm encouraged by Jerron Mcmillian though. Nick Perry could turn out to be a monster for us next year. His coverage skills will likely be a weakness, but he will be a huge help rushing the passer. He looks like a bull out there, and I'm excited to see what he can do.

So with all that said, here is my mock draft.

TRADE 1st round pick (#26) to SF 49ers for 2nd round pick (#34) and third round pick (#74)
The 49ers have 13 picks, and will never have space for 13 rookies. They will be looking to trade for future picks, or trade up to grab a guy they covet.

2 (#34). Jonathan Cyprien - S - Florida International

2 (#55). Brian Schwenke - C - California

3 (#74). Andre Ellington - RB - Clemson

3 (#88). Brandon Williams - DT - Missouri Southern State

4 (#122). Sean Porter - OLB - Texas A&M

5 (#159). Cobi Hamilton - WR - Arkansas

5 (#167). Roger Gaines - OT - Tennessee St.

6 (#193). Jamaal Johnson-Webb - OG - Alabama St.

7 (#232). Lucas Reed - TE - New Mexico

Good analysis.  More than anything, I think what we need is for our Pro Bowlers to play like Pro Bowlers (and stay healthy of course) and for our "lunch bucket" guys and role-players to simply be productive within their assignments.  It's about staying healthy and playing well.  Sounds trite, but I didn't think we played that well, even in a few of our wins, last season.  We seemed to be sleepwalking half the time.

To your draft.  All for the trade-down.  I don't have time (or the ability) to figure out my own mock, but I hope we can find a trade partner and pick up an extra 3rd rounder.  I like a lot of the picks, but I think you're a little heavy on the OL.  I like Schwenke more than other Cs for us.  Gaines is intriguing and I'm not against drafting a developmental LT.  I think grabbing another OG is a bit superfluous given our other needs.

I think DL is our greatest need and like the Williams' pick in the 3rd, but it's my feeling they will go higher than that.  Cyprien is a solid pick and I wouldn't argue with it provided it's in the 2nd and not at #26 (if we don't trade down).

Like the draft and the analysis.

Offline claymaker

• HOF Member
Re: VPF's one and only
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2013, 02:48:11 PM »
I like Ellington a lot, but he's not the type of back you pair with Harris. Harris needs a Montee Ball or Eddie Lacy power back. Switch your Williams and Schwenke picks because Williams is a second rounder, but I do like them both. I don't see Cyprien getting past SF. They have all the ammo in the world to trade up and draft him in the second round even if he makes it past the middle of round 2. Sean Porter is a great pick I see him being the new age ILB: One who is a 3 down kind of guy and lines up all over the field. I would trade half my draft to get him if he falls past the 3rd round, which is where I think you need to grab him. Hell I'd spend my 1st rounder on him because I think he's that good.

IDK how many developmental OTs can you really have? Gaines doesn't blow my skirt up with his athleticism, but he's got enough upside to spark my interest. The Guard you chose seems like an UDFA, find someone else if you want to draft a Guard. 

Hamilton is a definite project at WR. His wrap is that he can't catch consistently, and isn't a great route runner. I even remember scrolling through some of the lower rated WRs and his stats struck my fancy and it basically said he can't catch worth a damn. Actually what it said was "Limited catch radius on the move and will fail adjust to low or back-shoulder throws -– quarterback needs to put the ball on his chest. Not a natural hands catcher." As well as having a tough time against press coverage. They can't all be Calvin Johnson or Larry Fitzgerald coming out of college.