August 23, 2019, 12:39:15 AM

Author Topic: Your five favourite draft players, regardless of fit  (Read 5501 times)

Offline OneTwoSixFive

• HOF Member
Your five favourite draft players, regardless of fit
« on: April 24, 2013, 05:26:13 AM »
 I have picked five guys I really like in this draft. Personal favourites need not be available when the Packers draft (at least one of my favourites will almost certainly be gone when the Packers pick). I added two extra guys (no more) as near misses.

This is not necessarily prospects that fit what the Packers do, just players I really like.

MY FAVOURITE 5

G. Jonathan Cooper. N.Carolina. Hard to find anyone who does not like this guy. Tremendous performer in college, great athleticism for a big guy, very good in space. In short, everything you want to see. Almost certainly long gone by the Packers first pick, he's that good, despite playing at a position that seldom gets drafted this early. I see him as a center with the  Packers because his size (6'2”, 310) and his abilities fit there best. Could be a future Hall of Famer.

DT Brandon Williams. Missouri Southern. The only reason I think this guy will be available for the Packers late in round two is because he played against lesser competition. I think he could outperform J.Hankins, K.Short, S.Williams, J.Hankins, J.Jenkins, in the NFL. Few are the DTs who can make the splash plays this guy managed. No way you move this dude in the run game (6'2”, 340), he is immovable and very powerful. He is athletic (for such a big guy) and seldom leaves the field, which is rare for a guy his size and speaks well of his motor. He is versatile and loves playing.

OLB Arthur Brown. Kansas State.  Does not fit comfortably in the Packers Scheme. He is 6' 0”1/2 and 240lb (played in the 225lb range in college). Despite this, the lack of height doesn't stop him being a great player. Very good range (fast), agile, athletic, can cover man or zone. Two time team captain. I'd be interested to see if he could be a swing guy, playing inside and out for the Pack.

OLB Zaviar Gooden. Missouri. A former safety who shifted to OLB as he got bigger (6'1”1/2, 233lb). While he does not have ideal measurables for a 3-4 LB, imagine having a guy this size as a Safety ! He can run a 4.40 40. He is freakishly athletic for his size and very strong. Normally, I'd be against a LB converting back to S, because at the larger size, there isn't the athleticism and agility to play Safety. Zaviar is an exception to this. This guy is a big hitter who could be a huge intimidator to anyone going through his territory.  He has extra value as a key ST guy.

H-back Kyle Juszyczk. Harvard. This is a short guy for a TE (6'1”1/2, 248lb). He can plow through guys in short yardage situations, blocks well and could be a dangerous outlet weapon catching a ball in the flat or after a block-and-release. He could be around for the Packers 4th round pick and be the eventual successor to Kuhn. I like what I have seen of him, he would be another guy that has extra value on ST early in his career.

NEAR MISSES

WR Denard Robinson. Michigan. This guy has scary acceleration. He is athletic, tough as nails and can juke defenders out of their socks. He was a QB in college, so he has little experience at WR and would be a project. He lacks ideal size for WR, but is solidly built (5'10”1/2, 196). With him and Cobb on the field at the same time defenses would have real problems. A big play waiting to happen. Could be lethal as a return guy. Mid round pick (maybe round 5).

S. Eric Reid. LSU. Big, well built intimidator (6'1”, 213lb). Violent, fast, good range and solid instincts. Hips loose enough for his size to turn and go. The answer to dealing with the TE over the middle. Sometimes too aggressive, which can be sorted with coaching. Competitive, 110% guy, with lots of upside.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The most interesting trait of my favourites this year is how many of them would be position changes of some sort, if they play for the Packers. That is unusual. So who would YOUR favourite five players be (and near misses) ?
« Last Edit: April 24, 2013, 05:27:47 AM by OneTwoSixFive »
(ricky) "Personally, I'm putting this in a box, driving a stake through its heart, firing a silver bullet into its (empty) head, nailing it shut, loading it into a rocket and firing it into the sun. "

(Pink Floyd) "Set the controls for the heart of the sun"

Offline armchair qb

• All Pro
Re: Your five favourite draft players, regardless of fit
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2013, 05:56:53 AM »
I like:
1. Datone Jones, DE UCLA.
2. Brandon Williams NT Miss Southern
3. Justin Hunter WR, Tenn.  Wouldn't you just want to see the packers with a 6'4 WR with 4.4 speed?  Add a WHOLE OTHER DIMENSION to the offense
4. Eric Reid S, LSU.  Reid intrigues me because he could be the best safety in the draft.  He was not quite as good this year as last year and had some lapses in coverage.  But he is great length, and speed.  Also great in run support.
5. Travis Kelce TE, Cinci.  I think Kelce is as good as the top TEs in this draft.  I also wonder what got him suspended for a year.  I'm not as quick as others when it comes to writing guys off though.

Offline Eric

• Second String
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2013, 06:15:26 AM »
Too many first round guys to list, so I'll stick to projected mid-round prospects.

Mike Gillislee RB Florida
Tavarres King WR Georgia
Marcus Wheaton WR Oregon State
John Simon OLB Ohio State
Will Davis CB Utah State

Offline OneTwoSixFive

• HOF Member
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2013, 06:33:50 AM »
I like:
1. Datone Jones, DE UCLA.
2. Brandon Williams NT Miss Southern
3. Justin Hunter WR, Tenn.  Wouldn't you just want to see the packers with a 6'4 WR with 4.4 speed?  Add a WHOLE OTHER DIMENSION to the offense
4. Eric Reid S, LSU.  Reid intrigues me because he could be the best safety in the draft.  He was not quite as good this year as last year and had some lapses in coverage.  But he is great length, and speed.  Also great in run support.
5. Travis Kelce TE, Cinci.  I think Kelce is as good as the top TEs in this draft.  I also wonder what got him suspended for a year.  I'm not as quick as others when it comes to writing guys off though.
I like all your guys, though Kelce has a pretty big red flag of some sort, as you said. Nice selection !
(ricky) "Personally, I'm putting this in a box, driving a stake through its heart, firing a silver bullet into its (empty) head, nailing it shut, loading it into a rocket and firing it into the sun. "

(Pink Floyd) "Set the controls for the heart of the sun"

Offline ramrod

• Starter
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2013, 08:23:31 AM »
1. OT Lane Johnson - Oklahoma
2.  DT Star Lotulelei- Utah
3.  RB Marcus Latimore South Carolina
4. DE/OLB Ezekiel Ansah - BYU
5. OT/OG David Quessenberry San Jose St.

Draft Latimore in the third and he will make your draft!! (may take 3 years for his potential to come out though)

Offline WTX_Cheese

• All Pro
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2013, 08:48:10 AM »
My view is always skewed towards the Packers' needs, but I digress. In no particular order...

1.) Xavier Rhodes - CB - Florida St.
2.) Terron Armstead - OT - Arkansas Pine-Bluff
3.) Johnathan Cyprien - S - Florida Int.
4.) Sylvester Williams - DT - North Carolina
5.) Jamie Collins - OLB - Southern Miss.

Offline JASIII

• Starter
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2013, 08:58:20 AM »
Kenny Vaccaro (s)
Dee Millner (cb)
John Jenkins (dt)
Chance Warmack (g)
Robert Woods (wr)

Offline SSG

• HOF Member
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2013, 10:39:22 AM »
1.  Zach Ertz- I'm a big Ertz fan.  he was the most productive TE in the NCAA last year and he did so in a pro style offense.  A tremndous route runner that is a very adaquate blocker. 
2. Datone Jones- Versitile.  I think he can play anywhere on the defensive front. 
3. Dee Milner- He'll be gone but I have totally bought into the Revis comparisions.  He is a legit lock down CB. 
4. Cordarrell Patterson- He's quick, fast and he can jump out of the gym. 
5. Marcus Latimore- How could you not like this kid?  He'd be the best back in this draft if not for his latestknee injury.  seeing that Green Bay needs AN IMMEDIATE and instant IMPACT from the RB position I'm not in favor of Green Bay drafting him unless it is a 100% guarantee that he'd be ready for 13. 
Act your age, not your shoe size.

Offline JPPlaya

• HOF Member
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2013, 11:17:49 AM »
In no particular order

Datone Jones
Markus Wheaton
David Quessenberry
Kenny Vacarro
Arthur Brown

Offline morango

• HOF Member
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2013, 11:23:51 AM »
Okay I'll play, but with a twist. I'll go with the all-name list:

Darius Slay - he just sounds dangerous
Janoris Slaughter -  ditto
Rex Burkhead - You've got to admit the name makes him sound pretty tough (which he is)
Kiko Alonso- This guys name makes him sound crazy (which he is)
Blaize Foltz - He ought to be faster but sigh, only a 5.3
Barkevious Mingo - All-time All-name team
Sharrif Floyd- I'm thinking The Clash "The Sharrif don't like it. Rock the Casbah. Rock the Casbah"

Sorry there's seven not five.

Offline DWhitehurst

• HOF Member
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2013, 11:59:04 AM »
1. DE John Simon, Ohio State (My favorite college player to watch. He oozes old school throwback player type, having success due to his intensity, non-stop motor. Sadly, he lacks the frame to get much heavier without losing the little speed he has, and can't cover worth a darn.)

2. RB Marcus Lattimore  (So sad about the major knee injuries he suffered, especially as he is such a great character guy. Before such, I've not seen many rb's with his ability to cut on a dime without having to gear down and/or lose even one ounce of speed in the process. Yet with his slighter frame and upright running style, he was bound to get injured eventually. Still, he was a thing of beauty to watch while it lasted.)

3. DE Margus Hunt ('When' he makes that splash play before disappearing again for long stretches, he undeniably looks like what he really is in terms of being older in age: A man amongst boys. As far as just natural talent amongst DLineman he also really stood out at the Combine. Now the question is whether such raw players like him or LT Menelik Watson who are so relatively new to the game can get sufficiently coached up in terms of technique within a short amount of time? Time will tell..)

4. WR Aaron Dobson (I couldn't help but add him simply due to that one SICK CATCH he made in the endzone against East Carolina: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gNE47MP2Oi0 )

5. Leon Sandcastle (The name speaks for itself. ;) )

--Would that I could add Jadeveon Clowney, but we'll have to wait till next year. :)

Offline philepps85

• All Pro
« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2013, 12:18:40 PM »
1. WR Quinton Patton. Fluid, quick, good run after catch, never drops anything.
2. OLB David Bass. I just like the small-school rushers. Figure we haven't seen their best yet.
3. TE Gavin Escobar. Really don't see the difference between him and Eifert.
4. QB Dayne Crist. Better than the guys Notre Dame replaced him with.
5. OT Ricky Wagner. Badgers homer pick.

Offline Draft Hobbyist

• HOF Member
« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2013, 01:42:52 PM »
OG Jonathan Cooper NORTH CAROLINA - Has amazing feet and very good power.
OT Eric Fisher CENTRAL MICHIGAN - Already good enough to say he has a high ceiling, but coming from a smaller school he still has room to improve.
WR Aaron Dobson MARSHALL - Makes ridiculous catches.
DT Kawann Short PURDUE - Has lots of production even though he faced constant double teams.
WR DeAndre Hopkins CLEMSON - People have constantly said he was a product of Sammy Watkins, but I think he has put that argument to rest.

Offline ramrod

• Starter
« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2013, 02:40:06 PM »
Okay I'll play, but with a twist. I'll go with the all-name list:

Darius Slay  - he just sounds dangerous
Janoris Slaughter -  ditto
Rex Burkhead - You've got to admit the name makes him sound pretty tough (which he is)
Kiko Alonso- This guys name makes him sound crazy (which he is)
Blaize Foltz - He ought to be faster but sigh, only a 5.3
Barkevious Mingo - All-time All-name team
Sharrif Floyd- I'm thinking The Clash "The Sharrif don't like it. Rock the Casbah. Rock the Casbah"

Sorry there's seven not five.

What!!! No Baccari Rambo?

Offline morango

• HOF Member
« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2013, 06:00:14 PM »
What!!! No Baccari Rambo?

ramrod you got me. How could I leave Rambo off the ALL-NAME list?

In my defense, I was already two over my budget of five.