December 06, 2019, 05:20:32 AM

Author Topic: 2014 -- Packers 1st Round Pick  (Read 32705 times)

Offline Skinny

• All Pro
Re: 2014 -- Packers 1st Round Pick
« Reply #15 on: May 27, 2013, 01:35:03 PM »
Ill play along, a trade up and the pick is Jake Matthews. 

Offline claymaker

• HOF Member
« Reply #16 on: May 27, 2013, 04:34:09 PM »
Ill play along, a trade up and the pick is Jake Matthews.

Top 10 pick. I remember having this discussion about him with Drew, and it wasn't pretty. In this case Matthews would not bring the same impact as Clowney, but clearly Clowney is going to go #1. He is also the only player worth trading everything away for. Now you could definitely get Matthews for much less than Clowney, but Matthews is not the Joe Thomas type Tackle. I believe he will be very good, but I don't see him being an elite Tackle. Elite to me means top 5 at their position.

Offline marklawrence

• Administrator
  • HOF Member
« Reply #17 on: May 27, 2013, 05:27:20 PM »
ILB or S or TE. I believe that one of those will prove to be our largest problem.
“Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.” -- John F. Kennedy.

Offline marklawrence

• Administrator
  • HOF Member
« Reply #18 on: May 27, 2013, 05:28:52 PM »
Ask me at the end of this season, after the players have finished the year, when contracts are being negotiated or players being cut loose, and after we know who has played well and who has proven to be unreliable. Then I'll have an opinion. But now? Way, way too early to hazard an educated guess.

If you don't have an opinion, why did you comment?

This was completely gratuitous and had no purpose beyond making someone mad. Stop it.
“Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.” -- John F. Kennedy.

Offline The GM

• HOF Member
« Reply #19 on: May 28, 2013, 07:33:17 PM »
ILB or S or TE. I believe that one of those will prove to be our largest problem.

I've been watching a pretty good tight end play in high school and now at the University of Washington.  Austin Seferian-Jenkins is a stud TE.  GREAT Athlete, played basketball at UW his freshman year, and is a projected first rd NFL pick next year.  The guy has reminded me of Tony Gonzalez since day 1.   Big kid, can block, and get open.  If the Packers go tight end, this is the kid you want.  Superior athlete who is a different maker, and will make some great catches.

Foolishly, had a DUI a couple of months ago so that may knock him down a notch.   Keep an eye on this guy, if he stays healthy he'll be in many Pro Bowls.  Remember the name: Austin Seferian-Jenkins.

Some video highlights. Just remember, this guy is 6'7 267 pounds.  Look how nibble his feet are and how he gets downfield.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lPZ5ZDWEADo
« Last Edit: May 28, 2013, 07:45:49 PM by The GM »

Offline B

• HOF Member
« Reply #20 on: May 28, 2013, 09:09:14 PM »
It will be one of the following: Defensive back, Linebacker, Defensive lineman, or an offensive lineman, wide receiver or TE.

I doubt that they would take another running back, and quarterback is unlikely...

Sound vague? So does any prediction this time of year for next season's draft. Hell this year's rookies haven't even scrimmaged yet...
The Green Bay Packers never lost a football game.
They just ran out of time.
-Vince Lombardi

Offline claymaker

• HOF Member
« Reply #21 on: May 30, 2013, 12:34:12 AM »
I've been watching a pretty good tight end play in high school and now at the University of Washington.  Austin Seferian-Jenkins is a stud TE.  GREAT Athlete, played basketball at UW his freshman year, and is a projected first rd NFL pick next year.  The guy has reminded me of Tony Gonzalez since day 1.   Big kid, can block, and get open.  If the Packers go tight end, this is the kid you want.  Superior athlete who is a different maker, and will make some great catches.

Foolishly, had a DUI a couple of months ago so that may knock him down a notch.   Keep an eye on this guy, if he stays healthy he'll be in many Pro Bowls.  Remember the name: Austin Seferian-Jenkins.

Some video highlights. Just remember, this guy is 6'7 267 pounds.  Look how nibble his feet are and how he gets downfield.

He's not flying under anyone's radar. He is the consensus #1 TE in the 2014 draft class right now. Better receiver than Eifert and a very good blocker. He's not freakish in terms of speed but he is very quick as you pointed out. He will be unavailable to Green Bay, I'm sure of it.

Offline mitch connor

• Starter
« Reply #22 on: June 01, 2013, 09:36:58 AM »

He's not flying under anyone's radar. He is the consensus #1 TE in the 2014 draft class right now. Better receiver than Eifert and a very good blocker. He's not freakish in terms of speed but he is very quick as you pointed out. He will be unavailable to Green Bay, I'm sure of it.

I was about to say the same thing. He's been getting a ton of(well-deserved) hype for quite some time now.

Offline stillcrazee

• Starter
« Reply #23 on: June 01, 2013, 03:48:19 PM »
Looking at the team right now I would say WR in the 1st round. 

2nd and 3rd rounds, safety and TE.  Safety in the 2nd round if none of the younger players show significant improvement.  TE in the 2nd round if there is like an Ertz/Escobar player available, because this will be Finley's last year in GB. 

I also believe we won't pay Tramon Williams big time FA money at the end of next year, and he will probably leave via FA.  We will sign Shields to a big contract, and have House and Hayward for other quality CB's, with Hyde and Bush in reserve.  Can certainly see a 4th round pick on a CB.

We should also get an extra pick in the 4th round for losing Jennings.  Maybe use it for a luxury pick like a C who could come in right away and upgrade the OL.

I wouldn't be surprised if there will be a lot of talk about lack of quality depth at OLB at the end of this year and I could see an OLB taken in the 5th round.

6th and 7th round - take another CB to develop, and take another OL, guard or tackle, because you can still get decent OL in the 7th round/UDFA.

Offline claymaker

• HOF Member
« Reply #24 on: June 02, 2013, 06:43:09 AM »

2nd and 3rd rounds, safety and TE.  Safety in the 2nd round if none of the younger players show significant improvement.  TE in the 2nd round if there is like an Ertz/Escobar player available, because this will be Finley's last year in GB. 

I also believe we won't pay Tramon Williams big time FA money at the end of next year, and he will probably leave via FA.  We will sign Shields to a big contract, and have House and Hayward for other quality CB's, with Hyde and Bush in reserve.  Can certainly see a 4th round pick on a CB.

We should also get an extra pick in the 4th round for losing Jennings.  Maybe use it for a luxury pick like a C who could come in right away and upgrade the OL.

I wouldn't be surprised if there will be a lot of talk about lack of quality depth at OLB at the end of this year and I could see an OLB taken in the 5th round.

6th and 7th round - take another CB to develop, and take another OL, guard or tackle, because you can still get decent OL in the 7th round/UDFA.

I don't think depth at OLB will be a problem. Moses, Palmer, and the UDFA Mulumba can provide quality play as spell rushers.

I agree Williams will be gone unless his play improves to 2010 form, and early to mid round is where they will draft one.

WRs in the first round are usually a reach or they fell. I don't see WR being a glaring issue as long as they have Nelson, Jones, and Cobb. The guys they brought in this year and returners from last year should solidify the position this year.

I think they would go just go BPA in the 1st no matter who it is, I would prefer DLine or OLine.

Offline Draft Hobbyist

• HOF Member
« Reply #25 on: June 04, 2013, 12:32:05 AM »

I don't think depth at OLB will be a problem. Moses, Palmer, and the UDFA Mulumba can provide quality play as spell rushers.

I agree Williams will be gone unless his play improves to 2010 form, and early to mid round is where they will draft one.

WRs in the first round are usually a reach or they fell. I don't see WR being a glaring issue as long as they have Nelson, Jones, and Cobb. The guys they brought in this year and returners from last year should solidify the position this year.

I think they would go just go BPA in the 1st no matter who it is, I would prefer DLine or OLine.

According to CheeseheadTV, both of the WR's we took in the 7th round (Johnson and Dorsey) have been missing time. CheeseheadTV  didn't go as far to explicitly say it was due to injury but they definitely implied it since it was written in an article about injuries. If these WR's miss too much time then that could really hurt their development, but since we don't really know the situation it's hard to say one way or the other.

Offline claymaker

• HOF Member
« Reply #26 on: June 04, 2013, 03:03:50 AM »
If they ARE injured then it isn't anything serious. We eventually heard Tretter broke his ankle, but it was at least mentioned by McCarthy in his PC. If their injuries weren't mentioned it was something very minor, so I would expect them back at TC. OTAs are overrated, I think we agree on that.

Offline Draft Hobbyist

• HOF Member
« Reply #27 on: June 04, 2013, 05:21:08 AM »
When you're talking about 7th round draft picks they are facing an uphill battle as it is. Now if you're talking about them missing any time for any reason it just makes it harder. And to my knowledge they both missed both public OTA's. MM may have mentioned Tretter, but Brian Carriveau said himself that MM doesn't talk about injuries as a general principle. I've heard MM mention this before and so I'd have to agree. I don't think we can say it's not serious with these WR's yet. I'd also just like to re-stress that missing any time this early for 7th round draft picks is pretty big.

Offline rhino

• Rookie
  • Please get familiar with our Forums Rules & Guidelines.
« Reply #28 on: June 05, 2013, 02:15:07 PM »
NT. Pickett's last year with packers. Do we resign Ragi.

50PoundHead

« Reply #29 on: June 05, 2013, 08:13:20 PM »
DE Ra'Shede Hageman from U of Minnesota.  6-6, 312.  Benches 465 with 36 inch vertical jump.  Still pretty raw, but undeniable athletic ability.