December 14, 2018, 08:51:28 AM

Author Topic: Really enjoying the new forum layout!  (Read 7279 times)

Offline jthiel86

• HOF Member
Really enjoying the new forum layout!
« on: October 18, 2012, 12:31:58 AM »
Great job LMG!  Good stuff and this format works much better on slower computers.......(I spend a lot of time on PC at work  ;D)
If you're gonna be dumb, you've gotta be tough.

68MD

Re: Really enjoying the new forum layout!
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2012, 05:05:51 PM »
SMF is outstanding software. Great choice !

Online BrianShetty

• HOF Member
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2012, 05:06:37 PM »
I like this layout too it doesn't have a lot of extras and it's nice and clean
If winning isn't everything, why do they keep score?
-Vince Lombardi

Offline Yuletide

• HOF Member
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2012, 06:53:51 PM »
Thanks, LMG and marklawrence, for getting things back up and running.

Would be nice to take this opportunity to consolidate the Packers News, Packers Players, and MM, TT, & AR forums.  There really is no use whatsoever to have separate forums for those topics.
It's what it's.

Offline Pugger

• HOF Member
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2012, 07:26:53 AM »
Thanks so much for this!  I truly missed my favorite Packer site/forum these past few days.   :D

diesel

« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2012, 10:47:59 AM »
Whats the Karma, applaude of smite thing under the poster's name?

Offline mzahn

• HOF Member
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2012, 11:15:59 AM »
Just a guess but I think you can basically do like a plus or minus on a post.
“Once a man has made a commitment to a way of life, he puts the greatest strength in the world behind him. It’s something we call heart power. Once a man has made this commitment, nothing will stop him short of success.”

Vince Lombardi

Offline LMG

• Global Moderator
  • HOF Member
    • Where are we?
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2012, 11:35:36 AM »
Just a guess but I think you can basically do like a plus or minus on a post.

Correct.
If you are not the lead dog the view never changes.

Offline JimATX

• All Pro
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2012, 11:41:22 AM »
I like the SMF software (use it on other forums), but I still think there are too many sub-forums here. Fortunately, the Show unread posts since last visit is a feature with SMF

Winning is habit. Unfortunately, so is losing.

Offline LMG

• Global Moderator
  • HOF Member
    • Where are we?
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2012, 06:26:18 PM »
New 'theme' in the works so we won't look so 'generic'.

:)
If you are not the lead dog the view never changes.

Offline Yuletide

• HOF Member
« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2012, 06:34:27 PM »
I like the SMF software (use it on other forums), but I still think there are too many sub-forums here. Fortunately, the Show unread posts since last visit is a feature with SMF

I suspect pretty much everybody uses "show unread posts", rather than manually browsing through the 3 different forums dedicated to discussing the Packers.

Using "Show unread posts" completely undermines the usefulness of different sub-forums, flattening the whole board into a single forum, which contains discussions about the Packers, the NFL, Draft, Gameday, etc.

Basically the only thing all the sub-forums do is create work for mods, moving threads around in an effort to categorize threads "correctly".
It's what it's.

Offline mzahn

• HOF Member
« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2012, 07:05:10 PM »

I suspect pretty much everybody uses "show unread posts", rather than manually browsing through the 3 different forums dedicated to discussing the Packers.

Using "Show unread posts" completely undermines the usefulness of different sub-forums, flattening the whole board into a single forum, which contains discussions about the Packers, the NFL, Draft, Gameday, etc.

Basically the only thing all the sub-forums do is create work for mods, moving threads around in an effort to categorize threads "correctly".

I must be one of the few. I think it's fine the way it is.
“Once a man has made a commitment to a way of life, he puts the greatest strength in the world behind him. It’s something we call heart power. Once a man has made this commitment, nothing will stop him short of success.”

Vince Lombardi

Offline Yuletide

• HOF Member
« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2012, 07:17:24 PM »

I must be one of the few. I think it's fine the way it is.

Sure. It would also be fine if we had a dedicated forum for offense and one for defense. And one for special teams.  But it would serve no useful purpose.  Categories for the sake of categories make no sense when they detract from simplicity and ease of use.

I would love to see someone claim to really appreciate that Aaron Rodgers is discussed in one sub-forum while his 52 teammates are discussed in a different sub-forum.

These are categories for the sake of categories.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2012, 07:21:55 PM by Yuletide »
It's what it's.

Offline realitybytes

• All Pro
« Reply #13 on: October 20, 2012, 08:12:13 AM »
i'm happy with the new forum, but i do agree that all the subforums are unnecessary. even in the old forum, all i ever did was look at the unread posts feature. most of the time i was blissfully unaware of what forum or subforum any given topic was in.
if there is one feature that i truly miss from the old forum, it is the way the old forum would automagically take you to the oldest unread post within a topic when you clicked on the topic. if you've got a ten page thread that you haven't looked at since yesterday, you have to wade through seven and a half pages of posts that you've already read looking for the place where you left off.
"Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one."
- Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Offline mzahn

• HOF Member
« Reply #14 on: October 20, 2012, 08:42:51 AM »
On the far right where it shows the time of post you can click on new posts. Only thing is it doesn't seem to change color or anything to show if it is a new post.

Vince Lombardi