October 17, 2019, 11:25:15 PM

Author Topic: Quoting other posts in your own post  (Read 4860 times)

Offline OneTwoSixFive

• HOF Member
Quoting other posts in your own post
« on: October 30, 2012, 01:44:16 PM »
Can I make a suggestion. One thing that has always irritated me is the unneccesary 'quoted' sections of a post. what do I mean by this ?

I see entire posts quoted in a response, when the original post is directly above it.
I see huge long posts quoted in full, where the response is a one liner right at the bottom.
I see (on this new forum layout) posts that are quoted, requoted, re-requoted, and so on, and so on. PLEASE ask posters to delete anything that is not relevant, rather than just have the re-quote thing go on to a ridiculous level.
I see quoted posts where there is no point and no need to quote the original post. Its like the 'quoted section' was an accident that the poster just didn't bother to edit out.
Quoted parts from a previous poster should (imo) only be used when they enhance the current post, and even then only the relevant part(s) should be used.

I'm not sure how much can be done about this. Some posters are much worse than others. I have seen huge sections quoted from a poster and the reply was "This"       Just one word that means nothing. I guess what I am asking for, is for the mods to put something on this site that offers advice on when to quote. Many thanks for your perseverance while I have ranted.
(ricky) "Personally, I'm putting this in a box, driving a stake through its heart, firing a silver bullet into its (empty) head, nailing it shut, loading it into a rocket and firing it into the sun. "

(Pink Floyd) "Set the controls for the heart of the sun"

Offline LMG

• Administrator
  • HOF Member
    • Where are we?
Re: Quoting other posts in your own post
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2012, 02:50:11 PM »
Agree and you said what needed to be said.

Thank you.
If you are not the lead dog the view never changes.

Offline LMG

• Administrator
  • HOF Member
    • Where are we?
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2012, 04:38:56 PM »
  Quoting a Post  To reply to a post by quoting it, you can either select the Quote button for the relevant post or select the Reply button followed by Insert Quote from the relevant post in the Topic Summary below, but note that:

• Both of these options add a link to the original post showing the name of the poster and the date and time of the post, whereas the Bulletin Board Code quote tag simply quotes the relevant post without this additional information.
  • You can retain or add the 'author' attribute independently of the full quote function.

Offline OneTwoSixFive

• HOF Member
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2012, 04:44:18 PM »
Thank you for a speedy reply. Much appreciated.
(ricky) "Personally, I'm putting this in a box, driving a stake through its heart, firing a silver bullet into its (empty) head, nailing it shut, loading it into a rocket and firing it into the sun. "

(Pink Floyd) "Set the controls for the heart of the sun"

Online ricky

• HOF Member
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2012, 05:21:04 PM »
OK, as long as we're addressing issues on the new format, is there a way to edit a post after it has been posted? There used to be an "alter" (or a similar word) which would serve that function. I'm sure we all try to be careful, but occassionally misspellings or bad grammar or wrong names can be included in the original post. Suggestions would be appreciated.
"My hopes are not always realized, but I always hope." Ovid

Offline LMG

• Administrator
  • HOF Member
    • Where are we?
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2012, 05:26:06 PM »
Ricky,

You should see a Modify link above your post after submitting.

There is also a Help link in the top menu that will answer a lot of questions on how to use the Forums.

Online ricky

• HOF Member
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2012, 05:29:30 PM »
Ricky,

You should see a Modify link above your post after submitting.

There is also a Help link in the top menu that will answer a lot of questions on how to use the Forums.

Thank you.
"My hopes are not always realized, but I always hope." Ovid

Offline mavajo

• HOF Member
  • sinatra - Posting at www.gbpackeraddicts.com now.
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2012, 06:15:05 PM »
I've noticed the "edit" feature goes away after a certain amount of time.  Do you know what the criteria is?

Offline LMG

• Administrator
  • HOF Member
    • Where are we?
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2012, 06:34:38 PM »
I've noticed the "edit" feature goes away after a certain amount of time.  Do you know what the criteria is?

Yes there is a time limit to Modify your posts.

My suggestion is to use the Preview feature to look and see how it looks before submitting. Otherwise there is a short window to come back and Modify.