August 21, 2018, 12:41:48 AM

Author Topic: TE Jared Cook TENNESSEE wants trade. Should the Pack make an offer?  (Read 3263 times)

Offline Drew the Draft Guru

• All Pro
  • Twitter: @DraftHobbyist
    • DraftHobbyist's NFL Draft Site
Here's one of many articles explaining that Jared Cook wants a trade: http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/blog/eye-on-football/20739062

The trade deadline has been thankfully pushed back to Thursday due to the hurricane so that could give us time to make Tennessee an offer, and we could potentially get him really cheap for many reasons:
-Time: There is enough time to make a trade happen, but there isn't enough time for Tennessee to really shop around.
-Contract: TENNESSEE could part ways with him because he's in the last year of his contract. The Packers could trade for him because the cost would be minimal. His cap hit is $790,000 and $175,000 of that was towards a signing bonus. We'd be paying him for 9 weeks, right? So correct me if I'm wrong, but to find out what he would cost us you take (790,000-175,000)/16*9 to get the total which comes to less than $350,000 for the rest of the year.
-Future: With the unhappiness of Cook compounded with the end of the contract, it could be really hard for TENNESSEE to re-sign him. But for the Packers, he's a guy that turned 25 this year. In 2011, he had 49 receptions (82 targets) for 759 yards, 34 first downs, and 3 TD's (with 2 fumbles lost). To compare that with Finley's 2011 year (which was arguably either his best or 2nd best year), Finley had 55 receptions (93 targets) for 767 yards, 44 first downs, and 8 TD's. For the people that want to move on from Finley, Cook could give us every opportunity to do that. And remember, Cook's stats were in a pretty bad Tennessee offense. Imagine what he could rack up in a much more powerful Packer offense with a much better QB in Aaron Rodgers.

I know a lot of people think that most trades are Madden-style, but I don't think this Madden-style trade talk by any stretch.
I AM NOT TO BE CONFUSED WITH DREW BOYLHART!!

maxman44

Re: TE Jared Cook TENNESSEE wants trade. Should the Pack make an offer?
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2012, 06:13:41 PM »
 Very Interesting

Offline RobD

• All Pro
  • www.jsonline.com
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2012, 07:20:24 PM »
Nope, dont need a TE. Need a RB much more.

Offline realitybytes

• All Pro
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2012, 07:25:06 PM »
10/29/12 - TE Jared Cook reportedly asked the Titans to trade him, but the request won't be granted by the team. Coach Mike Munchak indicated that there is no way that will happen with Thursday's deadline approaching. "That is not my decision to make, but I don't see that happening, no," Munchak said of a possible trade of Cook. "I don't see why we would do that. I don't follow that. This is not the time for those things." Cook has said many times this year, as he enters the last season of his contract, that he wants an extension, something that has been slow to materialize. Cook has 28 receptions for 373 yards and two touchdowns in eight games this year, but he was on the field Sunday for fewer than 50 percent of Tennessee's offensive snaps.
"Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one."
- Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

• All Pro
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2012, 09:55:10 PM »
10/29/12 - TE Jared Cook reportedly asked the Titans to trade him, but the request won't be granted by the team. Coach Mike Munchak indicated that there is no way that will happen with Thursday's deadline approaching. "That is not my decision to make, but I don't see that happening, no," Munchak said of a possible trade of Cook. "I don't see why we would do that. I don't follow that. This is not the time for those things." Cook has said many times this year, as he enters the last season of his contract, that he wants an extension, something that has been slow to materialize. Cook has 28 receptions for 373 yards and two touchdowns in eight games this year, but he was on the field Sunday for fewer than 50 percent of Tennessee's offensive snaps.

This is interesting info but I don't think it's an end-all conversation type of info. Head coaches rarely want to get rid of players, often times don't see the big picture, and will especially rarely admit that a player is open for trade. Jeff Fisher just came out and said they're not shopping Jackson, too.

Offline jthiel86

• HOF Member
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2012, 11:44:31 PM »
It is an intriguing thought, but who or what would we give them?
If you're gonna be dumb, you've gotta be tough.

Offline Wolfman

• HOF Member
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2012, 06:52:52 PM »

Finley!   ;D
Need more Packers and I need more cowbell!  :)

• All Pro
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2012, 07:50:03 PM »

Good question. Personally, I never think about player-for-player trades. I think it's Vegas that always talks about how trades are Madden-style. A lot of times he is right, and thinking players for players is even more Madden-style than trades with picks. There are a lot of articles out there stating that Tennessee did receive an offer for Cook, but nobody seems to have any details. The thing about predicting trade value is that it really depends on how a team sells it and how badly the selling team wants to move on. A guy can be worth a 2nd round pick and yet go for a 4th round pick, and that's why I prefer to talk about what I'd rather give up more than anything.

I don't think I'd want to give up more than a 3rd round pick for him. Plenty of good TE's have been taken in the 3rd round, so I guess that's where I would personally set the value. Where would you guys set the value?

Offline jthiel86

• HOF Member
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2012, 11:56:21 PM »

Good question. Personally, I never think about player-for-player trades. I think it's Vegas that always talks about how trades are Madden-style. A lot of times he is right, and thinking players for players is even more Madden-style than trades with picks. There are a lot of articles out there stating that Tennessee did receive an offer for Cook, but nobody seems to have any details. The thing about predicting trade value is that it really depends on how a team sells it and how badly the selling team wants to move on. A guy can be worth a 2nd round pick and yet go for a 4th round pick, and that's why I prefer to talk about what I'd rather give up more than anything.

I don't think I'd want to give up more than a 3rd round pick for him. Plenty of good TE's have been taken in the 3rd round, so I guess that's where I would personally set the value. Where would you guys set the value?

I agree with you on that Drew.  I would not give up more than a 3rd and ideally, it would be a 4th or 5th.  In another thread I said I wouldn't give up more than a 5th for S. Jackson, and I really don't see Cook as being more valuable than him.  I realize the age difference and potential for Cook to be something great, so my conclusion would be a 4th probably.

Offline vegas492

• HOF Member
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2012, 06:46:06 AM »

You kind of nailed that one Drew.  Very few player for player deal out there.
Cook intrigues me, though.
His youth and athletic ability make him a more likely target than say Jackson (RB).
I'll bet TT has done his due dilligence on each player.  But, no one values their draft picks more than TT.

There is one possible trade scenario that I see.  The most likely trade scenario....Tennesse trades him either right before, during or right after the NFL draft.  That is when most of the action happens. 

Offline jthiel86

• HOF Member
« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2012, 11:07:40 PM »

You kind of nailed that one Drew.  Very few player for player deal out there.
Cook intrigues me, though.
His youth and athletic ability make him a more likely target than say Jackson (RB).
I'll bet TT has done his due dilligence on each player.  But, no one values their draft picks more than TT.

There is one possible trade scenario that I see.  The most likely trade scenario....Tennesse trades him either right before, during or right after the NFL draft.  That is when most of the action happens.

I agree with you here.