August 21, 2018, 12:42:05 AM

Author Topic: An NFL Team in Europe?  (Read 9384 times)

Offline JimATX

• All Pro
Re: An NFL Team in Europe?
« Reply #30 on: November 02, 2012, 12:21:18 PM »
One extra hour is not an issue
True, another hour is not an issue...

... but more teams is. At 32 the NFL is at least 2 teams too many. There are teams that have trouble selling out games and there are others that are perennial losers. Look at the starting QBs in the NFL and tell me the league could find 4, much less 2, more starting caliber QBs. I understand the owners are businessmen, but pro-sports is entertainment and if there is no entertainment value the consumer will turn their back on it. It's not like I need football to survive.
Winning is habit. Unfortunately, so is losing.

Offline Terranimal

• HOF Member
« Reply #31 on: November 02, 2012, 12:29:38 PM »

... but more teams is. At 32 the NFL is at least 2 teams too many. There are teams that have trouble selling out games and there are others that are perennial losers. Look at the starting QBs in the NFL and tell me the league could find 4, much less 2, more starting caliber QBs. I understand the owners are businessmen, but pro-sports is entertainment and if there is no entertainment value the consumer will turn their back on it. It's not like I need football to survive.

Don't think they would add more teams but re-locate two of them...one to London and the other to LA

Offline Packinatl

• HOF Member
« Reply #32 on: November 02, 2012, 12:57:24 PM »

Interesting take....

Just my crystal ball on this one.  London will not happen till the next CBA....more ctystal ball stuff while I am at it   

Not a coincidence that the TV deals that kick in for 2015 will expire in 2022,  right after the next round of CBA negotiations, but the news deals will be locked up before the new CBA is done. 
NFLPA will not agree to any contraction but what they will agree to is expansion by 2 teams, one in London and 1 in LA. 
In exchange for that the NFLPA willl also agree to a 18 game season
St Louis will move to LA within the next 3 years and play at LA Coliseum until new digs are ready
The new LA stadium site will end up at the Dodger Stadium site
2nd LA team will not be till 2022
TV rights will also skyrocket (again) and BBC will also bid on broadcast rights for Europe but lose to FOX.  FOX will drive up price after losing EPL to NBC..
"The day you sign a client is the day you start losing one."

Offline cpk1994

• HOF Member
« Reply #33 on: November 02, 2012, 01:38:12 PM »
I would expect the NFL to look at the asian market next and see them have a game in Tokyo.
They already had games in Toyko in the past. Preseason games, but games none the less. The fact that they discontinued you them shows that they weren't feasible.
"Aaron Rodgers is a baaaaaaad man" - Stephen A. Smith

Offline Packinatl

• HOF Member
« Reply #34 on: November 02, 2012, 01:42:07 PM »
I would expect the NFL to look at the asian market next and see them have a game in Tokyo.
They already had games in Toyko in the past. Preseason games, but games none the less. The fact that they discontinued you them shows that they weren't feasible.

Let me add the NBA owns the Tokyo market, no space for NFL growth there

Offline Terranimal

• HOF Member
« Reply #35 on: November 02, 2012, 05:34:03 PM »

Interesting take....

Just my crystal ball on this one.  London will not happen till the next CBA....more ctystal ball stuff while I am at it   

Not a coincidence that the TV deals that kick in for 2015 will expire in 2022,  right after the next round of CBA negotiations, but the news deals will be locked up before the new CBA is done. 
NFLPA will not agree to any contraction but what they will agree to is expansion by 2 teams, one in London and 1 in LA. 
St Louis will move to LA within the next 3 years and play at LA Coliseum until new digs are ready
TV rights will also skyrocket (again) and BBC will also bid on broadcast rights for Europe but lose to FOX.  FOX will drive up price after losing EPL to NBC..

I get most of what you are saying except for the Rams moving back to LA. Don't get that one when the talk over the last year plus has been about either the Jags or Chargers moving there. The Jags market sucks for revenue......

Offline GBP4EVER

• HOF Member
« Reply #36 on: November 02, 2012, 06:06:34 PM »

Interesting take....

I get most of what you are saying except for the Rams moving back to LA. Don't get that one when the talk over the last year plus has been about either the Jags or Chargers moving there. The Jags market sucks for revenue......
Jags have a pretty long lease left unlikely the move. Rams and Chargers can get out of their leases in the next year or two they are the teams likely to move.

Offline Terranimal

• HOF Member
« Reply #37 on: November 02, 2012, 06:16:05 PM »

Interesting take....

Jags have a pretty long lease left unlikely the move. Rams and Chargers can get out of their leases in the next year or two they are the teams likely to move.

yeah but there was talk of Jags leaving last year after new ownership bought the team....in fact Vikes were in discussion of moving too until they finally got the new stadium deal

Offline GBP4EVER

• HOF Member
« Reply #38 on: November 02, 2012, 06:28:48 PM »

Interesting take....

yeah but there was talk of Jags leaving last year after new ownership bought the team....in fact Vikes were in discussion of moving too until they finally got the new stadium deal
Jags owner won't pay millions to break a lease. Lease is till 2030 and if they break it they have to pay what is left on the lease. Reports are it is $100 million dollars.

Offline Terranimal

• HOF Member
« Reply #39 on: November 02, 2012, 07:07:44 PM »

Interesting take....

Jags owner won't pay millions to break a lease. Lease is till 2030 and if they break it they have to pay what is left on the lease. Reports are it is $100 million dollars.

Depends on the league....if they want it done too. beside LA won't be ready for a couple of years, they will first be breaking ground on a new stadium next month...

Offline GBP4EVER

• HOF Member
« Reply #40 on: November 02, 2012, 07:12:03 PM »

Interesting take....

Depends on the league....if they want it done too. beside LA won't be ready for a couple of years, they will first be breaking ground on a new stadium next month...
Owners won't vote to give millions to another owner to break a lease. They will say you want to break it pay for it yourself. NFL should have never given FL a third NFL team Jacksonville has been a bad NFL city from day one.

Offline Packinatl

• HOF Member
« Reply #41 on: November 03, 2012, 08:09:00 AM »

Interesting take....

The Jags are the one team that will play in London multiple times over the next few years. Kahn feels it opens up a new market for him. Not sure I completely agree with him but.....

The Rams lease situation may be the most critical for the league next to San Diego.  Kroenke has ties to LA (was a finalist for Dodgers) and loves the Dodger stadium site.

It would not shock me to see JAX relocate to London if the fanbase their adopts them in the next 5 years.

Offline Pugger

• HOF Member
« Reply #42 on: November 03, 2012, 10:52:58 AM »
I truly wish the league would just drop this idea.  Do we really need more teams?   :-\  They tried it in Europe already but it didn't go over all that great after a while.  I suspect the novelty would wear off if there was a permanent franchise in London too.  It would be much smarter to move an existing team that is struggling to LA.  32 teams is plenty.