December 06, 2019, 04:33:24 AM

Author Topic: Draft Musings  (Read 1844 times)

Offline golfman

• HOF Member
Draft Musings
« on: September 29, 2013, 03:52:45 PM »
Most teams have a quarter of their season in and as it stands this is going to make for an intersting top of the draft. This appears to be the year of the QB with as many as 5 QB's mocked in different drafts in the top 10. All of this is obviously premature and probably will change, but it does appear as though there is a pletoria of QB's ranked towards the top.

CBS Sports Ranks them this way:

1. Teddy Bridgewater
2. Brett Hundley
3. Marcus Marioti
4. Tajh Boyd
5. Johnny Manziel
6. AJ McCarron
7. Stephen Morris
8. David Fales
9. Aaron Murray

If you look at the teams who after 4 games are going to be picking in the top of the draft, no wins yet: Washington, Pittsburgh, New York probably won't be looking QB. Jacksonville most definitely will be. Tampa Bay, the other team without a win are trying to convince themselves Mike Glennon is their guy.

I'm not convinced in any of these guys but do think there are going to be decent QB's available into round 3 and 4. Might be the year to get Aaron Rodgers a rookie back up that could develop. Also going to be a year where we should be able to get a quality player who is going to slide because of all the top rated QB's.
"Make the Packers Great Again! "

Offline claymaker

• HOF Member
Re: Draft Musings
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2013, 06:24:34 AM »
None of them are Andrew Luck or RG3. None of them are John Elway or Dan Marino. I don't see this being the year of the QB. That usually implies at least 3 of them turn out to be very good QBs. Last year they had 3 rookies and 2 in particular, Luck+RG3, who played outstanding football.

I don't think any of them, excluding Boyd, will turn out to be stellar QBs. 1 or 2 might have starter potential but with the level of play that Mark Sanchez had when they went to the AFC championship two years in a row.

Last time they drafted a QB early was Brain Brohm and we all know how that turned out. I think they realize they don't need a young QB behind Rodgers. They need a veteran who can win a game or two if he goes down. There isn't any QB in this year's draft I'd trust more than a veteran QB.

Offline golfman

• HOF Member
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2013, 11:06:27 AM »
Russell Wilson was outstanding last year. In scouts eyes they see as many as 6 QB's going round one. You can call it whatever you like, it six goes in round one, it's the year of the QB.

Brohm was a second round pick, I suggested they may grab one in round 3 or 4. Rodgers is going to be 30 and while this guy they grab may not turn out to be the heir apparent. I really liked Wolf's philosophy of developing one every year or so and then trading them away for a better pick than where they grabbed the guy.

Offline claymaker

• HOF Member
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2013, 05:44:59 PM »
Rodgers isn't going anywhere I don't think GB will ever let him go. He has another 10 great years of football if he wants it. Hopefully he win like 5 supa bowls and retire datd be sweet.

Offline golfman

• HOF Member
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2013, 06:14:21 PM »
I believe I suggested drafting a guy as insurance, develop him and trade him, much like the Wolf way.

Offline claymaker

• HOF Member
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2013, 12:28:20 AM »
I believe I suggested drafting a guy as insurance, develop him and trade him, much like the Wolf way.

Insurance for what? Using a 3rd and 4th round pick in hopes of actually picking a good one and maybe get 4th round pick for compensation? It's more trouble than it is worth. 6th+7th rounds and UDFA are where you want to get a young QB when you have Rodgers. Having them to fall back on only is too much and a veteran QB is the best insurance right now with Rodgers. Unless the value is off the charts I wouldn't take one before round 6. 

The whole thing with drafting and trading is the compensation be more than what it took to bring him here.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2013, 01:12:05 AM by claymaker »