July 20, 2018, 03:56:12 AM

Author Topic: Patty's First Mock  (Read 12380 times)

Offline Packinatl

• HOF Member
Re: Patty's First Mock
« Reply #15 on: November 05, 2012, 08:24:57 PM »
The only way they can trade Jennings is to sign him first then deal him...1% chance of that happening

Nope. The Packers can give Jennings permission to negotiate with a couple teams, and let the teams know if they sign Jennings they owe us a 3rd.

Now if they franchise him that is a whole different subject. Short of that once he's free we have no rights to him.

100% correct
"The day you sign a client is the day you start losing one."

Offline Wolfman

• HOF Member
« Reply #16 on: November 05, 2012, 08:37:01 PM »
I am still here - Doctors gave me a few months and I am working on 9 months

This mock is based on needs and factors in best player on the board very little

We have not had the All Star games nor the combines and the campus visits

Now for the mock
I think the Packers will trade Greg Jennings to Miami for a 3rd round selection

They will receive a 4th rounder for Matt Flynn

Round 1 (pick 27) Barrett Jones OL Alabama
Round 2 (pick 60) Stepfan Taylor RB Stanford
Round 3 (pick 82) Kenny Stills WR Oklahoma
Round 3 (pick 91) Michael Buchanan OLB Illinois
Round 4 (pick 126) Justin Gilbert CB/S Oklahoma State
Round 4 (pick 133) Zach Ertz TE Stanford
Round 5 (pick 161) Trey Millard FB Oklahoma

Patty, I had no idea you were in that situation.  I'm sorry to hear you've been dealing with this.  We've exchanged posts for a loooonnnggg time and I've always enjoyed your posts and expertise.

This mock would be great for me.  Is Buchanan good at rushing the passer?  I know nothing about the kid.  I just want to see the field freed up more for CM3.  Still seems he has to do it all, though it's been better this year.  Jones and Stills would be great.  I agree Jennings will be gone.  I love the guy but TT has too many others to extend.  It would be nice to get a pick but I'm not sure they'll do better than a high comp.  I would guess they'll end up getting a 3rd, given the huge contract he's likely to receive.  I just don't want anybody else in the NFC North to land him.  Great job on the mock!
Need more Packers and I need more cowbell!  :)

Offline golfman

• HOF Member
« Reply #17 on: November 06, 2012, 04:16:48 AM »
The only way they can trade Jennings is to sign him first then deal him...1% chance of that happening

Nope. The Packers can give Jennings permission to negotiate with a couple teams, and let the teams know if they sign Jennings they owe us a 3rd.

Nope. As soon season is over he is a UFA.  His contract is up

That is not exactly true. He's not a free agent until the time has expired to tag guys. Free agency doesn't begin right after the season so the Packers have exclusive rights to negotiate with him until free agency begins.
"Make the Packers Great Again! "

Offline Packinatl

• HOF Member
« Reply #18 on: November 06, 2012, 09:25:10 AM »

Golf you are correct..sent an email to an agent bud of mine here is his response:

His contract wouldn’t official expire until minutes before Free Agency starts.  So technically he is a Packer until early March.

That is not exactly true. He's not a free agent until the time has expired to tag guys. Free agency doesn't begin right after the season so the Packers have exclusive rights to negotiate with him until free agency begins.

Offline Dubz41

• All Pro
  • Government Cheese
« Reply #19 on: November 06, 2012, 11:25:45 AM »

Now for the mock

Just love Jones, Gilbert, Ertz and Millard.

Hang in there, You're the reason I first came to the board. First as a creeper, reading all the draft insight from you, T and Arrigo.   8)

You can't leave now....You're a Newbie!! ::)
It's not what he doesn't know that bothers me. It's what he knows for sure that just ain't so!-Will Rogers

Offline Packinatl

• HOF Member
« Reply #20 on: November 06, 2012, 12:03:16 PM »

Golf you are correct..sent an email to an agent bud of mine here is his response:

His contract wouldn’t official expire until minutes before Free Agency starts.  So technically he is a Packer until early March.

Offline Terranimal

• HOF Member
« Reply #21 on: November 06, 2012, 09:23:10 PM »

Now for the mock

First and foremost: Glad you popped in and hang in there! May God heal you, you are my(our prayers)

As for you mock- would like it, though really think we get another DL added. But as of right now both Ertz and Gilbert are being projected to go in the second round. Ertz could be the 2nd TE off the board.

Comp picks are tricky. But am thinking between the big contract that Flynn signed and the loss of Wells we might get (hope) a 3rd round comp pick.

There's also a lot of talk that the Pack might go FS/SS instead of corner for one of these 3: Elam, Jefferson or Vaccaro, if Woodson is gone after this season.....

57packer

« Reply #22 on: November 06, 2012, 09:44:09 PM »
Thanks for putting up the mock Patty.  Have always enjoyed your viewpoints though I might not agree with all of them.  Best wishes for you on your health struggle and lets hope we get mocks from you for years to come.  Prove those doctors wrong. . . really wrong!!

I really like this mock.  Addresses needs with picks that pretty much belong in the slots you have them in.  I too feel Jones will be there in the late part of Rd 1 and that we would be fortunate in getting him.  I'm good with Taylor in Rd 2.  I think Stills is a wildcard.  Skills seem to be there.  There have been glimpses of good route running.  Seems to need to get his head in the game a bit more.  We'll see how that plays out.

Liike the Ertz and Millard selections.  Don't know enough about Buchanon and Gilbert at this point to say much about those picks though on first looks they seem solid.

I could see a deal for Jennings after he is franchised.  The Flynn situation was VERY, VERY different.  In Flynn's case you would have risked a larger amount of money on a back-up QB who, if you'd have been stuck with him would have been a drain on the team, and really messed up the salary structure.  With Jennings you would be putting less money on the line for a starting quality No. 1 WR so it is much less risk to franchise Jennings.  If you don't get a deal done you still have a starting WR for a year at a high, but not exhorbitant price.

Offline Lazmax

• Starter
« Reply #23 on: November 09, 2012, 12:30:10 PM »
Patty you have my prayers. Before I joined this site I read many of your posts & always enjoyed your insiders view. Thanks & please get better.

Offline Drew the Draft Guru

• All Pro
  • Twitter: @DraftHobbyist
    • DraftHobbyist's NFL Draft Site
« Reply #24 on: November 10, 2012, 02:23:20 PM »
For all of those people wanting Jones in the 1st round, I think he's showing why I don't think he's a 1st rounder against Texas A&M. He's getting absolutely destroyed. I've said all along that Barrett Jones plays a lot of positions, and that's what he gets attention for, but he doesn't really excel at any of them. Kiper said he was a 3rd rounder, I said a 2nd, and I can't believe so many people want him in the 1st round.
I AM NOT TO BE CONFUSED WITH DREW BOYLHART!!

Offline Dubz41

• All Pro
  • Government Cheese
« Reply #25 on: November 11, 2012, 09:57:03 PM »
For all of those people wanting Jones in the 1st round, I think he's showing why I don't think he's a 1st rounder against Texas A&M. He's getting absolutely destroyed. I've said all along that Barrett Jones plays a lot of positions, and that's what he gets attention for, but he doesn't really excel at any of them. Kiper said he was a 3rd rounder, I said a 2nd, and I can't believe so many people want him in the 1st round.

He is rated late first round by about half of the alleged experts out there.  He's played LT for a national championship team, moved to center on a team most definitely in the top 5.  Has versatility and must be a good technician to play those different positions on an elite team.  Seems like TT bait to me.  Imagine....a guy they could groom for Center, fill in at Guard, AND play a little Tackle in a pinch.  One mediocre game doesn't cancel the body of work he has accumulated at Alabama.  I prefer to give him the benefit of the doubt and believe he could be a long time contributor with a little pro coaching. ???
It's not what he doesn't know that bothers me. It's what he knows for sure that just ain't so!-Will Rogers

Offline Drew the Draft Guru

• All Pro
  • Twitter: @DraftHobbyist
    • DraftHobbyist's NFL Draft Site
« Reply #26 on: November 11, 2012, 10:15:20 PM »

He is rated late first round by about half of the alleged experts out there.  He's played LT for a national championship team, moved to center on a team most definitely in the top 5.  Has versatility and must be a good technician to play those different positions on an elite team.  Seems like TT bait to me.  Imagine....a guy they could groom for Center, fill in at Guard, AND play a little Tackle in a pinch.  One mediocre game doesn't cancel the body of work he has accumulated at Alabama.  I prefer to give him the benefit of the doubt and believe he could be a long time contributor with a little pro coaching. ???

Well, first of all it's more than just one game. Kiper actually had Jones in the 3rd round BEFORE this A&M game. And he didn't just have an average game against A&M, he had a pretty brutal game there. If a team is going to take an OL as a C in the 1st round then that C has to be really, REALLY good. He does have good versatility, but when you look at each individual position he doesn't excel at any of them and that's why I think he's a 2nd rounder.

I agree with you that Jones is a TT guy, and I think he's best as an interior OL, so that means he would make a lot of sense for the Packers. The Packers love that OL versatility and would get more out of it than most teams out there. I just think the target needs to be the 2nd round for him. If we miss him there are other C's to be had, but if we get him at the end of the 2nd that's a pretty nice pick IMO. At the end of the 1st it's pretty iffy pick, though. I'd much rather have a guy like OT Eric Fisher CENTRAL MICHIGAN if we are going to go the OL route, or OG/C Jonathan Cooper NORTH CAROLINA if he drops to us. There's C Mario Benavides LOUISVILLE that we can grab later in the draft, too, if we miss out on Jones, Cooper, etc.
I AM NOT TO BE CONFUSED WITH DREW BOYLHART!!

Offline Donzo

• HOF Member
  • Living the Dream
« Reply #27 on: November 12, 2012, 07:20:46 AM »

I don’t keep up with draft stuff until the week of the draft, so I don’t know much about projections now. But, I’m a Gator fan & watch a lot of SEC football. Barrett Jones is nothing special.

Jones is a clog in the Bama machine & gets a ton of hype for that. Just watching him, he can’t handle speed at all. It wasn’t just A&M, Miss St.’s DTs ran by Jones too… I just don’t see how he’d be better than EDS.

I guess the kid has some intangibles, so it wouldn’t be a disaster if the Packers drafted him with their Flynn comp pick in the 4th round, just don’t do it before that.

57packer

« Reply #28 on: November 22, 2012, 06:21:38 AM »
Guys rise and fall as the season moves along.  It's what makes early mocks both fun and frustrating.  In this mock for example, Jones' stock is now down a bit and I could see him falling even more.  I was high on him and am still not "selling" as much as some, but he's certainly got some people asking questions, and rightfully so.

In contrast Zach Ertz just continues to play better as the season wears on and his stock is on the rise I believe.  Outstanding game in the upset of Oregon.  Unless he tests poorly at the combine, he won't last until Rd 4 now.  (Assuming of course that he declares at all.)

Offline Pack88

• Rookie
« Reply #29 on: November 22, 2012, 08:30:05 PM »
Hi Patty:  Hope the doctors are wrong!!   I have been high on Barrett Jones for a long while!  He so reminds me of Mike Flannigan and I think he will be a great pro!
Pack88