November 13, 2018, 07:42:31 AM

Author Topic: Alan Barbre!  (Read 3535 times)

AldenRoche

Alan Barbre!
« on: November 11, 2013, 10:54:09 AM »
Barbre (or is it Barbre') came off the bench to replace the Eagles All-Pro LT Jason Peters late in the first quarter yesterday.

My memory of this guy was him getting abused by Adewale Ogunleye (as a RT) in a Sunday night game against the Bears for like 3 or 4 sacks. Calling Barbre, who earned the nickname turnstile during his time in GB, a "journeyman" would be kind given that he has been with Seattle, Miami, Seattle again, and now Philly since he left the Pack 3 years ago.

Yet, he earned a positive 2.2 grade from Profootballfocus. How can this possibly be?

Does Dom not know how to attack a weak link? Are the pass rusher so injured (or ineffective) that they can't get to a slow footed QB (Foles had one of the slowest times in the 40 at the combine ever recorded for a QB I believe) being protected by a brutal LT?

I just can't get my head around the fact that Alan Barbre, coming in cold with no preparation, dominated our Defensive players and I think it is an indictment of all involved.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2013, 10:56:06 AM by AldenRoche »

Offline flowerpac

• Starter
Re: Alan Barbre!
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2013, 11:07:18 AM »
Amen!  Noticed that to.  Thought Mathews was going to have a field day against Barbre.  Do you recall Giacomini in Seattle.  He looks like a beast now(although injured).  When he was with the Packers he just got shoved around all the time.  I thought he was worthless.  Maybe it takes more time for some players to develop than others.  Being cut sometimes makes these players wake up.  Wish they would have awoken  in Green Bay.  Good for them, bad for Green Bay.

Offline Pugger

• HOF Member
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2013, 11:23:28 AM »
Of course Clay having a club on his right hand had nothing to do with Barbre looking competent...

AldenRoche

« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2013, 11:38:33 AM »
Of course Clay having a club on his right hand had nothing to do with Barbre looking competent...

So if Clay was so ineffective he could not outplay Alan Barbre the team gets a free pass for not taking advantage of such a substandard LT?

Datone Jones got a sack against Peters before Barbre replaced him, why not unleash him or Daniels or somebody, anybody to take advantage of a weak link?

Now, if they are so decimated by injury they can't take advantage of a Barbe (and they may well be) then how can anyone criticize Capers or expect the D to perform competently?

Offline Twain

• HOF Member
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2013, 02:22:57 PM »

So if Clay was so ineffective he could not outplay Alan Barbre the team gets a free pass for not taking advantage of such a substandard LT?

Datone Jones got a sack against Peters before Barbre replaced him, why not unleash him or Daniels or somebody, anybody to take advantage of a weak link?

Now, if they are so decimated by injury they can't take advantage of a Barbe (and they may well be) then how can anyone criticize Capers or expect the D to perform competently?

I would go with the later, but I don't want to be labeled and apologist.  Clay with the club, Perry with the foot, Mulumba with the knee.  Really only have Neal and Palmer healthy. Then the problems at ILB as well. Despite all that, 3 sacks yesterday which isn't bad production.

I would hope that over 3 years Barbre would have gotten better.  The old Barbre wouldn't have stopped Clay with two clubs on his hands.

My criticism of the defense, despite the injuries, is the poor execution.  On the long Cooper TD where he rolled into the endzone, House shouldn't have let Cooper run away from him while he was staring at Foles, and Jennings let him get too deep before breaking to help with the coverage.  Granted, I don't know the calls, but it appears the safeties this year are allowing too many plays to get behind them for touchdowns.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2013, 02:28:11 PM by Twain »
"The trouble ain't that there are too many fools, but that the lightning ain't distributed right."

Offline Mazrimiv

• HOF Member
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2013, 12:33:25 AM »
Didn't EDS come into a game as an injury replacement a couple years back and handle Suh pretty well?
« Last Edit: November 12, 2013, 12:38:27 AM by Mazrimiv »

Offline tedbrogen

• Second String
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2013, 05:23:36 AM »
It's probably a combination of injuries slowing people that could and would take advantage of Barbre and Capers just being awful at in game adjustments.

Capers likely gameplanned for them to have Peters who is an all-pro. He went out but Capers couldn't adjust his pre-planned exotic blitzes and fancy coverages to take advantage of a new weak link.

Agree the safeties are letting too many people get behind them. Now what is causing that is up for debate. Is Capers bringing the safeties too close? Are they just concerned about covering for Tramon in the middle of the field so they are cheating up because they are worries Tramon's guy is going to beat him every play? Are they just taking bad angles on their own and it's making a good defensive play call look like a bad one?

Offline get louder at lambeau

• HOF Member
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2013, 05:02:51 AM »
Classic example of fans running a team. TT knew he had a gem in Barbre. Unfortunately, fans began to show unrest on forums and places like this, bring pressure on the team to replace him. If we would show more support for our front office, the cream (Barbre) will rise to the  top, given the necessary time.
Why can't Ted Thompson be the MVP of the NFL?

Offline Pugger

• HOF Member
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2013, 06:02:18 AM »
Classic example of fans running a team. TT knew he had a gem in Barbre. Unfortunately, fans began to show unrest on forums and places like this, bring pressure on the team to replace him. If we would show more support for our front office, the cream (Barbre) will rise to the  top, given the necessary time.

This post made me giggle.  As if TT gives a rip what fans think on internet message boards...   hysterical

Offline get louder at lambeau

• HOF Member
« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2013, 06:40:53 AM »

This post made me giggle.  As if TT gives a rip what fans think on internet message boards...   hysterical

I'm not saying that the pressure was limited to fans on message boards. It is quite possible that Ryan Grant may have voiced a concern about the lack of holes. AR may have expressed concerns about being knock down so often. TT's peers (as if he has anyone at his level) may have offered to trade GB their cat for Barbre. Add to that public opinion in the press (including message boards) and TT may have gotten rid of Barbre before he could show the NFL that he was the pro Bowl OLman that TT knew he had.
Why can't Ted Thompson be the MVP of the NFL?

Offline Twain

• HOF Member
« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2013, 01:12:34 PM »

I'm not saying that the pressure was limited to fans on message boards. It is quite possible that Ryan Grant may have voiced a concern about the lack of holes. AR may have expressed concerns about being knock down so often. TT's peers (as if he has anyone at his level) may have offered to trade GB their cat for Barbre. Add to that public opinion in the press (including message boards) and TT may have gotten rid of Barbre before he could show the NFL that he was the pro Bowl OLman that TT knew he had.

Apparently nobody else has figured out Barbre's pro-bowl status either.  He is a backup for a mediocre team.
"The trouble ain't that there are too many fools, but that the lightning ain't distributed right."

Offline golfman

• HOF Member
« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2013, 01:36:06 PM »

I've only read a few of your gems, but must say. Has the tailgate party ever stopped at your house?

I'm hearing the music from the Twilight Zone in my head and Rod Sterling is about to start talking!

Also, how has a thread about Allan fricking Barbre lasted a week in the GPB News Talk forum?
« Last Edit: November 15, 2013, 01:36:58 PM by golfman »
"Make the Packers Great Again! "

Offline Lodestar

• HOF Member
« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2013, 05:00:15 PM »
Also, how has a thread about Allan fricking Barbre lasted a week in the GPB News Talk forum?

Not to mention the poster saying Giacomini has been a "beast" for Seattle. I live in the Pacific Northwest and all the Seahawks fans I know are pretty sour on old Breno.

Offline Pugger

• HOF Member
« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2013, 06:42:12 AM »
If you go to packers.com there is a video talking about how limited Clay was with that club on his right hand.