March 20, 2019, 01:57:49 AM

Author Topic: Time For Another All D Draft?  (Read 8562 times)

Offline OneTwoSixFive

• HOF Member
Re: Time For Another All D Draft?
« Reply #15 on: November 26, 2013, 02:28:36 PM »
get louder - best player available is the frequent description of how TT drafts. the theory has, at best, only a partial truth to it. TT is very good at marrying an early pick with a need at that position.

TT also (as he has specifically stated) adds a little extra value to players at positions of need, so those positions tend to be the ones picked. I'm not talking big reaches (likes the Vikes 9th overall pick of Ponder, for example), just a clever marrying of need and best player.

danno - Clinton Dix may not be gone when the Packers pick. Lots of variables swirling around just when he will go, but I've seen him projected to the mid 20's and to the teens. He could be in the sights when the Packers pick (whenever that turns out to be). My instincts are that he has a 50% chance of still being there.
(ricky) "Personally, I'm putting this in a box, driving a stake through its heart, firing a silver bullet into its (empty) head, nailing it shut, loading it into a rocket and firing it into the sun. "

(Pink Floyd) "Set the controls for the heart of the sun"

Offline dannobanano

• HOF Member
« Reply #16 on: November 26, 2013, 04:43:38 PM »
get louder - best player available is the frequent description of how TT drafts. the theory has, at best, only a partial truth to it. TT is very good at marrying an early pick with a need at that position.

TT also (as he has specifically stated) adds a little extra value to players at positions of need, so those positions tend to be the ones picked. I'm not talking big reaches (likes the Vikes 9th overall pick of Ponder, for example), just a clever marrying of need and best player.

danno - Clinton Dix may not be gone when the Packers pick. Lots of variables swirling around just when he will go, but I've seen him projected to the mid 20's and to the teens. He could be in the sights when the Packers pick (whenever that turns out to be). My instincts are that he has a 50% chance of still being there.

If Dix is there, it's a no brainer.

Hope your optimism is dead on.

Offline SunshinePacker

• HOF Member
« Reply #17 on: November 26, 2013, 06:54:53 PM »
BPA is great in theory but fails when a team actually has built up depth at certain positions. For instance, how would our team be better next year if TT doesn't draft a NT at all? One of the most important position in a 3-4 is the NT and we could potentially enter the year without one on the roster. If the BPA is a WR, is that really going to help this team win in the short term? BPA works for teams that are rebuilding, after that you need to start addressing needs.

Offline jthiel86

• HOF Member
« Reply #18 on: November 26, 2013, 10:06:36 PM »
Would you guys say Clinton-Dix is as good as Mark Barron was?  IMO Barron hasn't been a super star by any means since entering the league.  I realize he plays for Tampa but he was supposed to be really good wasn't he?
If you're gonna be dumb, you've gotta be tough.

Online Gregg

• HOF Member
« Reply #19 on: November 27, 2013, 05:56:51 AM »
As I have said before, I would like to see us try a 4-3 defense.

With a coach who really buys into it.  Capers clearly does not.

But I agree we need a safety and a CB.  I don't see how Williams merits that salary.

I also think we have to cut either Raji or Pickett.

The problem is that, with the exception of CM 3, TT's high picks on this side have not come through as hoped for: Perry, Neal, Worthy etc.

But on offense, its clear now we have to find a back up QB.  If Flynn's arm is OK this is not as urgent as it appears.  But if its not, then it is.

Offline morango

• HOF Member
« Reply #20 on: November 27, 2013, 10:08:36 AM »

We will not have to cut Raji. He will be a free agent March 1st

Offline dannobanano

• HOF Member
« Reply #21 on: November 27, 2013, 02:30:52 PM »

We will not have to cut Raji. He will be a free agent March 1st

Pickett is a free agent too

Offline golfman

• HOF Member
« Reply #22 on: November 27, 2013, 03:21:44 PM »
Would you guys say Clinton-Dix is as good as Mark Barron was?  IMO Barron hasn't been a super star by any means since entering the league.  I realize he plays for Tampa but he was supposed to be really good wasn't he?

First of all you need to watch Tampa Bay play. That dude is a stud. Tampa Bay is not losing all of these games because of their defense and Barron is a winner.

Wait until Clinton-Dix runs his 40 at the combine before getting too excited. He's not fleet of foot from what I've heard, seen. It might be 4.5something. For me, that is not 1st round worthy.
"Make the Packers Great Again! "

Offline PackerJoe

• All Pro
« Reply #23 on: November 28, 2013, 12:32:58 PM »
The problem with the defense is the scheme and coach.  They have stopped no one for the last three years.  Fire Capers, promote Greene and go to a 4-3!
Read my notes about life without Rogers on another thread!

Offline golfman

• HOF Member
« Reply #24 on: November 28, 2013, 03:08:10 PM »
The problem with the defense is the scheme and coach.  They have stopped no one for the last three years.  Fire Capers, promote Greene and go to a 4-3!
Read my notes about life without Rogers on another thread!

Kevin Greene would not be the guy if we were to go 4-3. If we stay 3-4 how about Rex Ryan? Or better yet, hire Cowher as the HC and have Rex Ryan be the DC.
"Make the Packers Great Again! "

Offline number12

• Starter
« Reply #25 on: November 28, 2013, 05:44:49 PM »
No, TT seems to do better picking offense.  Seems they do almost as well UDFAs on defense as they do with draft picks.  Just get talent onto the team regardless of need.  GB needs it in all areas.  Talent has really dwindled on the team the past few seasons. 

Offline DWhitehurst

• HOF Member
« Reply #26 on: November 28, 2013, 08:04:58 PM »
Question I have is do you spend a high 1st rnd pick (i.e., 1-12) on the safety position? Better be a Hall of Famer.

Offline backthepack4ever

• All Pro
« Reply #27 on: November 28, 2013, 09:46:58 PM »
Question I have is do you spend a high 1st rnd pick (i.e., 1-12) on the safety position? Better be a Hall of Famer.

hard to know that but yea i agree he better be a sure fire stud  and i dont feel HaHa is that guy.  I think he merits a 1st round grade right now by default.  the S class is pretty weak.  I really feel its time for TT to work the FA line a little more.  there will be starting S to choose from instead of expecting a rookie to be the answer. 

right now it looks like we would pick 18th but i see us sliding up to maybe 10-13.  Like others have said depending on what Dixs runs that seems to high for my liking but some i would love to have

Mike Evans-  major man crush on this stud
Nix DT-  BJ and Pick are gone/done.  we need a guy in the middle and he can push the pocket
top OT available and not Lewan.  the line needs work shall i say more
Trade down a few slots... there are some nice looking rush LBs (Barr Mack Van Noy)  and Mosely in the middle but I dont see those spots as major needs where a rookie would start.  though if Barr fell he would be money.

as for the D scheme.  I am a really be fan of a functional 3-4 but looking at the packers roster its hard not to think that it is set for a 4-3 or even a hybred system like Sea or Balt runs

4-3 wise i wouldnt mind seeing a front of Perry Daniels worthy and Jones.  thats a young nice looking group that would fit that system nicely.  Dom needs to go so anything new is a pleasant sight. 

Offline DWhitehurst

• HOF Member
« Reply #28 on: November 29, 2013, 07:02:20 PM »
If we pick around 13-16, then I'd go either the Bama OT if he's there, or trade down a few spots and hope to nab NT Nix if theyre sticking with 3-4 and letting Raji go. Evans is tempting though, as is Watkins from Clemson, but they are luxuries Im not sure we can afford this year.

Offline Pugger

• HOF Member
« Reply #29 on: November 30, 2013, 08:20:56 AM »
Well if MM made it clear this week the coaches are not to blame, then Ted has done a horrible job of evaluating defensive talent.

MM isn't going to throw his coaches under the bus to the press.  Watch what he does and not what he says this offseason.