May 24, 2019, 09:01:13 AM

Author Topic: Time For Another All D Draft?  (Read 8721 times)

Offline golfman

• HOF Member
Re: Time For Another All D Draft?
« Reply #45 on: December 12, 2013, 04:25:10 AM »
Sure I'd trade Clay...if someone offered me their next 2 draft classes:)

Need to rebuild the D-line.  We have linebackers OK there.  Think we have enough pass rushers too.

Let's say someone would do that hypothetically. Any idea how much dead money we'd have to absorb in order to do that? 31 million guaranteed and you can bet most of that would have to be absorbed in 2014, probably in range of 25 million by us.

Hawk is not the answer inside. He's played OK, but still struggles in coverage and over the past 6 games hasn't been able to get off blocks. Ditto on Jones. Lattimore should be starting inside next year, but we need a play maker there IMO.

Potentially we have enough pass rushers sort of: D Jones, Neal, Daniel, Perry, Worthy all have potential. Daniel is the only one who has proven some of that potential. Matthews is the only one with a track record of getting home. You can NEVER have too many pass rushers.
"Make the Packers Great Again! "

Online scoremore

• HOF Member
« Reply #46 on: December 12, 2013, 06:28:39 PM »
Yah I know Golf....can never have enough pass rushers.

We have Jones, Neal, Matthews, Worthy, Perry, & Daniels.

Pretty solid group. Agree they need to prove themselves.  Believe they will come on...   

On trading Clay well c'mon that's like trading Rodgers.  Ain't going to happen.

What we need is a couple of real big nasty uglies on the line.  Guys that can eat up blocks and also collapse the pocket.

Claymaker listed off some pretty decent prospects in the other thread.

Need 2 of them...maybe more depending on Raji and Pick...

Safety obviously, and perhaps an ILB.  Too bad Manning didn't pan out hoped he would have developed.

Doesn't need to be all D we will need a WR, TE.  Tolzien and Flynn I'm alright with those guys so skip the QB...

Way I see it anyway...

Offline OneTwoSixFive

• HOF Member
« Reply #47 on: December 16, 2013, 08:32:36 AM »
Leaving aside salary cap impications, trading Matthews hinges on how much is offered (it would have to be A LOT).  Players are like interchangeable pieces on a chessboard, but you might give up a rook if you net a rook and a bishop in return, or even a knight and a bishop. However, the position on the board is also key. You may end up ahead in pieces, but be in a losing position after the exchange, which is no help at all. This equates (in my twisty mind, at least) to the influence Matthews has on the D. I think he helps the D play just a little harder. Never say never when it comes to deals, but I believe Matthews is too much of a key cog in the Packers defensive engine to easily replace. If the Packers could ever get a 'second Matthews', the trade is easier to envisage. At this time, I don't really forsee another team willing to give up what the Packers are likely to ask.

One problem with such a blockbuster trade is you do not really know how good the players you get with the acquired draft picks are. They might be rubbish and leave the team looking stupid, they might not.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2013, 08:33:33 AM by OneTwoSixFive »
(ricky) "Personally, I'm putting this in a box, driving a stake through its heart, firing a silver bullet into its (empty) head, nailing it shut, loading it into a rocket and firing it into the sun. "

(Pink Floyd) "Set the controls for the heart of the sun"