October 15, 2019, 10:48:04 PM

Author Topic: Free agency 2014  (Read 9161 times)

Offline griz145389

• All Pro
Free agency 2014
« on: November 29, 2013, 04:52:00 AM »
After the loss to detroit, I have a hard time seeing us even in the playoffs this year.    Looking ahead to the NFL offseason, could this be the year that TT signs a free agent or two due to the glaring holes we have seen exposed the last few weeks?   In particular, I see quite a few safeties that would look good in Green and Gold. 

Offline PackerJB

• Starter
Re: Free agency 2014
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2013, 06:07:22 AM »
no. he wont.
JayRast

Offline LMG

• Administrator
  • HOF Member
    • Where are we?
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2013, 08:14:48 AM »
no. he wont.

Do you have a thought on this or just "no. he won't"?

If not why even take the time to pound out 3 little words on your key board?

If you are not the lead dog the view never changes.

Offline Beagle

• HOF Member
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2013, 08:53:22 AM »
In particular, I see quite a few safeties that would look good in Green and Gold.

I think TT is probably pretty happy with our Safety position and I do not see him venturing into Free Agency very much. If anything, I hope he takes a really hard look at the Offensive Line position and gets some much needed help there.

I think the DL needs guys that are big and powerful as opposed to quick and athletic. Still not sure why we can't get to the QB with our present company but something needs to change. Maybe a switch to the 4-3 and let Perry beef up and play a solid DE opposite Clay might help. Whatever we do, we need to start blowing up the opponents OL or other teams will just eat us alive.

Not sure where a Free Agent helps us there.......
“It’s not whether you get knocked down, it’s whether you get up.” -V. Lombardi

Offline golfman

• HOF Member
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2013, 11:24:52 AM »
Aqib Talib seems to be past his troubled start to the NFL. He's a shutdown CB and NE won't be able to afford him. Would not mind finding a NT so we can let Raji go as well.

As far as ours go, I'd offer these guys contracts Jolly, Shields, James Jones and Starks a small deal. The rest I'd let walk, see ya. I'd cut Williams and Hawk as their pay doesn't equal their production. If we have Talib and Shields with Hayward, House, and Hyde Williams isn't needed. Lattimore and Barrington would be adequate for Hawk even though he calls the defense.
"Make the Packers Great Again! "

Offline Ellis269

• HOF Member
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2013, 09:34:58 PM »
I think that the safety play has been bad enough that he just might add one. I see two guys that I like who would be a big upgrade for us. FS: Jarius Byrd (Buffalo) but he'd cost an arm and a leg to get and ended up disgruntled with his contract situation. SS: Mike Mitchell (Carolina) who will cost less and is more physical, but is kind of an idiot when he opens his mouth. Mitchell lacks the coverage ability that Byrd has, but he'd help to add that physical presence in middle that the team has severely lacked since Collins went down. The sad thing is that he's going to make a lot of money this offseason and he could have been had last year for a minimum contract.

Offline griz145389

• All Pro
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2013, 10:21:19 PM »
I think that the safety play has been bad enough that he just might add one. I see two guys that I like who would be a big upgrade for us. FS: Jarius Byrd (Buffalo) but he'd cost an arm and a leg to get and ended up disgruntled with his contract situation. SS: Mike Mitchell (Carolina) who will cost less and is more physical, but is kind of an idiot when he opens his mouth. Mitchell lacks the coverage ability that Byrd has, but he'd help to add that physical presence in middle that the team has severely lacked since Collins went down. The sad thing is that he's going to make a lot of money this offseason and he could have been had last year for a minimum contract.
Other Safeties that I would like in Green and Gold:
James Ihedigbo, T.J. Ward, and Donte Whitner.

Any of those 3 plus the 2 you mentioned would make safety a position of strength.  I'm hoping Ted can target which ever one will come with the lowest price tag.   

Offline Ellis269

• HOF Member
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2013, 06:04:54 PM »
Ward is intriguing, but I'm not interested in either of the two. Whitney can hit, but he's a liability in space. Ihidigbo is more of a journeyman. I want a legit starter back there with Burnett.

Offline golfman

• HOF Member
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2013, 06:39:57 PM »
I hope we grab one or two free agents this year, but I'd prefer Talib as a shutdown CB. Let Williams walk and give Shield his money. I really like Richardson as Burnett's running mate. Allows Burnett to play back where he's best and Richardson is better near LOS.

Offline philepps85

• All Pro
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2014, 11:55:11 AM »
This is all just an exercise for fun, since TT will not succumb to pleas from Bob McGinn (or us). But, unlike the bidding wars that will arise for the top safeties, I see a real opportunity in free agency this year to land a strong tight end for not so much $$. These are some of the guys who could be available, through expiring contracts or as cap casualties:

• Fred Davis — will be a full year removed from major injury, strong blocker and explosive receiver
  • Owen Daniels — UW alum, steady with good hands
  • Garrett Graham — Backup to Daniels in HOU, pretty similar skill set
  • Brandon Pettigrew — Huge third-down target with inconsistent hands. Good two-way player who Packers really coveted
  • James Casey — Signed to big contract with Eagles but played sparingly. Shined in limited opportunity with HOU
  • Jermaine Gresham — Cap number spikes, got to imagine Eifert gets his chance. Another steady two-way guy
  • Anthony McCoy — Good blocker, downfield ability. He's been replaced in SEA, could be had for pennies
  • Scott Chandler — Tall as Paul Bunyan, underrated receiver
  • Dustin Keller — Awful injury or he'd be near the top of the list
  • Joel Dreessen — More likely that Tamme gets cut in DEN, but Dreessen is more versatile than stats show
  • Brandon Myers — Giants probably keep him. Meh, only if desperate

Offline Ellis269

• HOF Member
« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2014, 01:46:03 PM »
Thanks, but no thanks on any of those TEs. I'm a huge Finley fan, and I'm sad that it looks like the neck injury will likely end his career. With that said, I think that Andrew Quarless has proven that he's a good fit for this offense and is capable of being the starter. This will be an incredibly strong year for TEs in the draft. Take one (or even two) there and move forward.

I think that they'd be best served looking at the safeties or offensive linemen over tight ends.

Offline GBRoCk2

• HOF Member
« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2014, 06:38:56 PM »
I've always liked Fred Davis, I'm sure we would take a TE in the draft, rather sign Davis or Gresham if it meant using the pick on a defensive player.

Offline golfman

• HOF Member
« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2014, 06:45:49 PM »
I've always liked Fred Davis, I'm sure we would take a TE in the draft, rather sign Davis or Gresham if it meant using the pick on a defensive player.

He's one toke away from a year off. No thanks.

Offline golfman

• HOF Member
« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2014, 06:48:41 PM »
My wish list:

Aqid Talib, CB
Michael Bennett, DE
Michael Johnson, DE
Charles Johnson, DE

Offline GBRoCk2

• HOF Member
« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2014, 08:08:17 PM »
My wish list:

Aqid Talib, CB
Michael Bennett, DE
Michael Johnson, DE
Charles Johnson, DE
Talib would be a great addition.

No chance we get Bennett, Martellus is really pushing management in Chicago to sign his brother.