October 15, 2019, 10:57:38 PM

Author Topic: Free agency 2014  (Read 9162 times)

Offline Ellis269

• HOF Member
Re: Free agency 2014
« Reply #15 on: January 06, 2014, 05:52:07 PM »
History suggests that big money WR and DL free agents end up being a bust. The trick is to pick up a young player who hasn't hit his mark yet and still has room to grow. Last year, outside of a few blockbuster deals, the market for free agents was pretty depressed. I wouldn't mind seeing TT strike out for a 2nd tier guy like Mike Mitchell or Michael Oher instead of trying to break the bank for a big-name guy. The only two that would really, really interest me are Jarius Byrd and Alex Mack. If you're going to pay the kind of money they'll be getting, you should get as All-Pro caliber player.

My guess is that the team keeps Shields, Raji, Neal, EDS and Quarless. If there's enough left over to keep Flynn, Kuhn and James Jones I'd expect them to try to as well.

Don't think there's much (if anything) left over.

Offline ramrod

• Starter
« Reply #16 on: January 18, 2014, 06:37:29 AM »
The money that we are going to have to pay Shields cancels out any chance of us signing a high priced safety. I am almost leaning with Calvin Pryor with my first pick. We really need to fix that mess in the backfield. It has gone on way too long. The position needs some teeth!! Pryor I believe has the chicklets to do the job.

Offline JPPlaya

• HOF Member
« Reply #17 on: January 18, 2014, 07:06:02 AM »
What about S Ryan Clark from Pittsburgh? Might be just what our D-backfield needs. Couple his signing (2 year deal) with drafting another S in the 3rd-4th round to groom for future.

Offline dannobanano

• HOF Member
« Reply #18 on: January 18, 2014, 07:22:34 AM »
Since Pollard's name has been mentioned, how about Michael Griffin as well.

It's being rumored that Michael Griffin (TEN) is going to be a cap casualty this off-season, and could leave along with Pollard.

At 29 years old, I'd take a run at him as a veteran free agent to put alongside Burnett.

He had a decent season in 2013 with 82 tackles, 2 FF, 1 INT.

http://www.rotoworld.com/playernews/nfl/football-player-news

Titans FS Michael Griffin is unsure if he'll be back in 2014.
Griffin is coming off a solid season, finishing with 106 tackles and an interception in Tennessee's No. 11 ranked pass defense. He's currently set to count $8 million against the cap in 2014, so the Titans could look to part ways under a new coaching staff. George Wilson would serve as a capable in-house replacement if Griffin is released. Free agent SS Bernard Pollard is also questionable to be brought back this offseason.

Offline Ellis269

• HOF Member
« Reply #19 on: January 19, 2014, 10:35:04 AM »
Michael Griffin is a guy that Ted Thompson was reportedly interested in drafting, but Tennessee picked him and he's been there his whole career. He'd be a pretty good pickup if he gets cut. He'd be cheaper than Byrd and better in coverage than Mitchell. Not the hitter that Mitchell, Ward or Clark are.

Offline JPPlaya

• HOF Member
« Reply #20 on: January 19, 2014, 03:16:52 PM »
I wouldn't have a problem with Griffen at all. That would help us out.

Offline griz145389

• All Pro
« Reply #21 on: January 20, 2014, 09:57:07 PM »
Michael Griffin is a guy that Ted Thompson was reportedly interested in drafting, but Tennessee picked him and he's been there his whole career. He'd be a pretty good pickup if he gets cut. He'd be cheaper than Byrd and better in coverage than Mitchell. Not the hitter that Mitchell, Ward or Clark are.

Griffin would be another guy that would be nice to have.   It's a bit early in the process, but this free agency period is shaping up to have multiple players available at the safety position that would immensely help Green Bay.   If we could shore up the safety postion before the draft, it would give us a lot more options on draft day. 

Offline dannobanano

• HOF Member
« Reply #22 on: March 01, 2014, 03:12:53 PM »

Griffin would be another guy that would be nice to have.   It's a bit early in the process, but this free agency period is shaping up to have multiple players available at the safety position that would immensely help Green Bay.   If we could shore up the safety postion before the draft, it would give us a lot more options on draft day.

With Shields testing FA they may want to look at existing free agent CB's and watch closely as other may become available due to cap issues from other teams.

Offline Beagle

• HOF Member
« Reply #23 on: March 01, 2014, 07:52:39 PM »
Unfortunately, I don't see TT paying top $$$ for a FA...But if he did, we could sign probably sign Byrd or Whitner and still have money left over to lock up our other guys (Cobb and Nelson). In fact $35 million could go a long way and we could lock up another great FA.

Honestly, I just don't see it happening.

“It’s not whether you get knocked down, it’s whether you get up.” -V. Lombardi

Offline dannobanano

• HOF Member
« Reply #24 on: March 01, 2014, 08:22:39 PM »
Unfortunately, I don't see TT paying top $$$ for a FA...But if he did, we could sign probably sign Byrd or Whitner and still have money left over to lock up our other guys (Cobb and Nelson). In fact $35 million could go a long way and we could lock up another great FA.

Honestly, I just don't see it happening.

I don't know how much it would cost for other decent CB's that are entering FA, but looking at the list..........

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000316567/article/2014-nfl-free-agents-position

Michael Adams, Tampa Bay Buccaneers
Phillip Adams, Oakland Raiders
Javier Arenas, Arizona Cardinals
Aaron Berry, New York Jets
E.J. Biggers, Washington Redskins
Will Blackmon, Jacksonville Jaguars
Zack Bowman, Chicago Bears
Tarell Brown, San Francisco 49ers
Nolan Carroll, Miami Dolphins
Antoine Cason, Arizona Cardinals
Chris Cook, Minnesota Vikings
Vontae Davis, Indianapolis Colts
Drayton Florence, Carolina Panthers
Dominique Franks, Atlanta Falcons
Brandon Ghee, Cincinnati Bengals
Danny Gorrer, Tampa Bay Buccaneers
Corey Graham, Baltimore Ravens
Jabari Greer, New Orleans Saints
Brent Grimes, Miami Dolphins
Quentin Jammer, Denver Broncos
Mike Jenkins, Oakland Raiders
Elbert Mack, Houston Texans
Richard Marshall, San Diego Chargers
Rashean Mathis, Detroit Lions
Bryan McCann, Arizona Cardinals
Captain Munnerlyn, Carolina Panthers
Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie, Denver Broncos
Trumaine McBride, New York Giants
Sherrick McManis, Chicago Bears
Chris Owens, Miami Dolphins
Tracy Porter, Oakland Raiders
Dunta Robinson, Kansas City Chiefs
Aaron Ross, New York Giants
Asante Samuel, Atlanta Falcons
Sam Shields, Green Bay Packers
Aqib Talib, New England Patriots
Walter Thurmond III, Seattle Seahawks
Terrell Thomas, New York Giants
Charles Tillman, Chicago Bears
Cassius Vaughn, Indianapolis Colts
Alterraun Verner, Tennessee Titans
Josh Wilson, Washington Redskins
Eric Wright, San Francisco 49ers
Derrick Martin, Chicago Bears
Chris Carr, New Orleans Saints

There are a few names that jump out as possibilities and (depending on the market) may not cost as much as Shields thinks he's worth.

Consider:
Nolan Carroll
Vontae Davis
Tracy Porter
Cassius Vaghn

The top guys......
DRC, Grimes, Talib, Verner
I wouldn't touch.
Cost too much, and TT is all about value. Those 4 I listed would likely be more along the "value" lines and cheaper than Shields.

Offline golfman

• HOF Member
« Reply #25 on: March 02, 2014, 09:48:28 AM »
You win in this league with stars, not a bunch of average players. I would be all for signing one premium player. In another thread a poster made a brilliant post for signing Brian Orakpo.
"Make the Packers Great Again! "

Offline Beagle

• HOF Member
« Reply #26 on: March 02, 2014, 10:05:10 AM »
The top guys......
DRC, Grimes, Talib, Verner
I wouldn't touch.
Cost too much, and TT is all about value. Those 4 I listed would likely be more along the "value" lines and cheaper than Shields.

I agree about Talib. I would not go after him either.

I would grab Grimes for top $$$ over Shields and possibly DRC as well.

You win in this league with stars, not a bunch of average players. I would be all for signing one premium player. In another thread a poster made a brilliant post for signing Brian Orakpo.

I would grab Brian Orakpo as well. Grab him and Grimes or Byrd (Whitner or Ward) at Safety.
“It’s not whether you get knocked down, it’s whether you get up.” -V. Lombardi

Offline Lodestar

• HOF Member
« Reply #27 on: March 03, 2014, 12:21:24 PM »
Orakpo has been tagged, Grimes re-signed.

Offline golfman

• HOF Member
« Reply #28 on: March 03, 2014, 12:57:49 PM »
Orakpo has been tagged, Grimes re-signed.

Prices went up for those remaining, especially at those positions. 4 for 32 for Grimes is too rich for my blood and probably why Miami stinks every year.
"Make the Packers Great Again! "

Offline Gopackgo12

• Second String
« Reply #29 on: March 03, 2014, 04:06:51 PM »
So we lost shields it looks like so I say draft a corner in the 1st rd (lots of top corners should be there towards the end of the first rd so we might get first pick of all the corners I personally like the one outta OKST) if cj Mosley is gone and then find a replacement at safety in FA I'd take either Jarvis Byrd or tj ward really would like ward more physical in run game. Or an even crazier thought if we get the safety in FA then trade up and get Eric ebourn from UNC just a thought