August 18, 2019, 05:22:19 PM

Author Topic: 2014 Detroit Lions  (Read 2256 times)

Offline ricky38

• Starter
2014 Detroit Lions
« on: December 31, 2013, 11:39:32 AM »
I don't know about anyone else but the Lions scare for next year. they have as much talent on each side of the ball as anyone.
If the Lions get a decent coach they could be scary good next year. and I think they get another top 10 draft pick.

Offline golfman

• HOF Member
Re: 2014 Detroit Lions
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2013, 11:47:58 AM »
cap issues, QB who doesn't want to work on his poor fundamentals and a pathetic secondary.

Same Lions as this year.
"Make the Packers Great Again! "

Offline Hincha

• HOF Member
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2013, 01:42:01 PM »
cap issues, QB who doesn't want to work on his poor fundamentals and a pathetic secondary.

Same Lions as this year.

Agree they have talent... but also agree they have big salary cap issues.  They are basically already at 2014 cap with the 38 players they will have under contract for next year.  They still need to round out roster, provide for PS and small buffer for injuries.

The right coach could come in and change things... but I do not see why it is such a coveted job as some say for the salary cap issues alone... if coach has 3 years to get it done, this next coach may have the same issue as Redskins trying to turn it around and stay consistent with all the salary cap issues they have.

Offline claymaker

• HOF Member
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2013, 03:09:00 PM »
Haha yea Calvin Johnson is earning all that guaranteed money and then some.

Offline bbayley

• HOF Member
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2013, 04:00:35 PM »
Lions are apparently looking at Tom Cable as a candidate for their coaching vacancy (per nfl.com)

Have to say I would love to see that happen.  Though I think he's a decent coach, he was most known for allegedly punching an assistant coach.  Call me crazy, but a coach who punches assistants mixed with Detroits already dirty rep would only lead to more mediocrity.  I think if they got a talented offensive mind in there they could be quite a threat, but Cable does not make me too worried at all

Online ricky

• HOF Member
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2013, 05:16:48 PM »
Lions are apparently looking at Tom Cable as a candidate for their coaching vacancy (per nfl.com)

Have to say I would love to see that happen.  Though I think he's a decent coach, he was most known for allegedly punching an assistant coach.  Call me crazy, but a coach who punches assistants mixed with Detroits already dirty rep would only lead to more mediocrity.  I think if they got a talented offensive mind in there they could be quite a threat, but Cable does not make me too worried at all

Maybe they could have a cage match between Jim "Mad Dog" Schwartz and Tom "Smackdown" Cable at halftime of the Thanksgiving Day game?

Seriously, though, when was the last time the Lions had a decent head coach? Because the best one I can think of is Mariucci. This franchise seems incapable of hiring good coaches or front office people. Similar to Minny the last few years.
"My hopes are not always realized, but I always hope." Ovid

Offline Gregg

• HOF Member
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2013, 05:37:35 PM »
If I am Detroit, and I have said this before, I would trade Suh.

They can survive not having him since their front seven is good.

But they need help in the secondary.  With the picks and the savings they could help.

The other option is Stafford.  But he is all but untradeable because of the dead money factor.  Its astronomical.

Calvin Johnson for me is one of the ten best offensive players in the NFL.  And he is the best WR.

Offline jthiel86

• HOF Member
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2013, 09:26:35 PM »
I thought the best coach for the Lions would have been Bill O'Brian.  However, he is now coaching Houston.  I would have been scared if he was the Lions coach.  Also, I want Lovie Smith to not coach in our division, I know he wasn't great for the Bears, but I just feel like he is more of a threat than others.
If you're gonna be dumb, you've gotta be tough.

Online ricky

• HOF Member
« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2014, 04:21:51 AM »
I thought the best coach for the Lions would have been Bill O'Brian.  However, he is now coaching Houston.  I would have been scared if he was the Lions coach.  Also, I want Lovie Smith to not coach in our division, I know he wasn't great for the Bears, but I just feel like he is more of a threat than others.

According to PFT, Lovie is going to interview with the Lions. Still, he's a defensive coach. So, unless he hired someone as OC/QB coach who would mold Stafford into a great QB (like Holmgren/Reid in with Favre), the Lions will still underachieve. And LS is hired, expect to hear a quote similar to his opening statement when he was named HC of the Bears. That Job 1 would be beating the Packers.

Here's the link: http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/12/31/report-lovie-smith-expected-to-interview-with-lions/

I'd forgotten that SB appearance. Wasn't that with Rex Grossman at QB? Definitely, if he is hired, the Lions could definitely come roaring back in the 2014 season.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2014, 04:41:36 AM by ricky »
"My hopes are not always realized, but I always hope." Ovid

Offline jthiel86

• HOF Member
« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2014, 10:33:53 PM »
Thank the Lord Lovie went to Tampa.  I'm glad he's there.  On another note, I want Tom Cable to coach the Lions.  Seriously...
If you're gonna be dumb, you've gotta be tough.

Offline bbayley

• HOF Member
« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2014, 01:05:31 AM »
Thank the Lord Lovie went to Tampa.  I'm glad he's there.  On another note, I want Tom Cable to coach the Lions.  Seriously...

completely agree with both parts there