August 18, 2019, 08:36:47 PM

Author Topic: 2014 Salary Cap Situations  (Read 5730 times)

Offline Hincha

• HOF Member
Re: 2014 Salary Cap Situations
« Reply #15 on: January 02, 2014, 12:32:36 PM »
Detroit: Suh is going to count 21+ million on thier 2014 cap. Does a new coach keep a guy with that much baggage and little production to match, 3.5 sacks. They have cap issues to boot.

Suh's cap hit next year is $22.4M, but $19.5M of that is dead money...  that is very little savings in comparison to how much you are throwing away for elite type talent.

Someone needs to explain how 19.5 can be dead money. Aren't bonuses prorated? I know he possibly restructured, but I see no way how 19.5 is dead money when it's the last year on his contract.

Suh is signed through 2014 season with player option for 2015.  He restructured $11.5M of signing bonus in 2013 that is prorated over 3 years (2/3 of that is still left).  He already had former signing bonuses prorated for 2014 and 2015 with his original contract and also earlier restructuring.  It all adds up.

Offline ThatGuy284

• HOF Member
« Reply #16 on: January 02, 2014, 01:01:09 PM »
Really interesting that we're in such good shape compared to so many other teams heading into 2014 free agency. Interestingly enough San Francisco and Seattle are pretty much up against it and have yet to extent their young QB's who are going to break their banks when they get paid.

Keapernick is in his last year right now. He needs to be signed over the summer. SF is in pretty poor shape, cap wise. They're going to have to make some difficult choices.

Seattle has one more year of cheap QB then they get it too.

Unless Wilson's agent gets in his ear and starts telling him to threaten to hold out. In today's game I'd almost count on him or his agent demanding more money.

I don't believe he can.  Per the CBA I don't think players can even attempt to renegotiate until after 3 years on their rookie contracts (4 yrs for some 1st rounders?). 

Offline Ellis269

• HOF Member
« Reply #17 on: January 02, 2014, 01:26:08 PM »
I personally think that the Packers will work hard to extend Sam Shields, B.J. Raji, Andrew Quarless, EDS and Mike Neal. They'll make fair offers to Matt Flynn (which I hope he accepts), James Jones, Ryan Pickett, James Starks and John Kuhn. Except for Kuhn, they have a young player who could potentially replace the players from that second tier (Tolzien, Boykin, Boyd and Harris/Franklin. They might dip a toe into the free agent pool, but I doubt it'll be a big splash guy (although I'd LOVE to steal Alex Mack from Cleveland.) My hope is that they add a safety to the mix so that they can move on from M. D. Jennings. I'd be really happy to see them go after Mike Mitchell (who I wanted last year when he was cheap and they were letting Woodson go.)

Offline golfman

• HOF Member
« Reply #18 on: January 02, 2014, 02:08:23 PM »
Suh is signed through 2014 season with player option for 2015.  He restructured $11.5M of signing bonus in 2013 that is prorated over 3 years (2/3 of that is still left).  He already had former signing bonuses prorated for 2014 and 2015 with his original contract and also earlier restructuring.  It all adds up.

I didn't realize they extended him and restructured. The deal money for 2014 is actually stupid crazy. No wonder the Lions are perennial losers. Also, having Stafford, C Johnson and Suh drafted 1, 2, 2 overall prior to the rookie wage scale has screwed them cap wise for a decade or more when it's all said and done.

"Make the Packers Great Again! "

Offline griz145389

• All Pro
« Reply #19 on: January 02, 2014, 03:41:52 PM »
Jordy is the one who I would pay 9 and Cobb like 7. Shields for probably 8 or 9 and Flynn for 2-3 provided hes on the roster.

Flynn will get a vet min. or 1 million a year or he will not be in Green Bay. Considering all the money he has made already and the reluctance of other teams to sign him, I would say he will take what he can get from us and call it a job. A good job with great pay.

I fear Raji will command 9-10 million for us to sign him. He already balked at 8 million and wants to dip his foot into free agency. If we stay in a 3-4, he walks and we let him. IMO.

There is no way anyone in this league is going to pay Raji close to 9 million.   I would be surprised if he picks up a deal worth anything over 6 per year.   

Offline Divot

• All Pro
« Reply #20 on: January 05, 2014, 06:44:49 AM »
BJ Raji blew his chance to get a contract with us.  He will not be a Packer next year.  While he is one of my favorites I totally forget he is even in the game.  When I do look at him he is dancing with ONE blocker at the line of scrimmage.  We need to get rid of him.

Offline Leader

• HOF Member
« Reply #21 on: January 05, 2014, 06:51:59 AM »
Jordy is the one who I would pay 9 and Cobb like 7. Shields for probably 8 or 9 and Flynn for 2-3 provided hes on the roster.

Flynn will get a vet min. or 1 million a year or he will not be in Green Bay. Considering all the money he has made already and the reluctance of other teams to sign him, I would say he will take what he can get from us and call it a job. A good job with great pay.

I fear Raji will command 9-10 million for us to sign him. He already balked at 8 million and wants to dip his foot into free agency. If we stay in a 3-4, he walks and we let him. IMO.

There is no way anyone in this league is going to pay Raji close to 9 million.   I would be surprised if he picks up a deal worth anything over 6 per year.

Dont ever discount the Vikings...who appear to be the "NFL approved" way station for x-Packers on their way out the door.....

Offline Divot

• All Pro
« Reply #22 on: January 05, 2014, 07:03:09 AM »
BJ Raji either won't be back or it will be at a lower rate.  I can't see much demand for him AT ALL.

Tramon will be cut or reduced salary for sure.

With both of these alone we will be great shape.

Offline ricky

• HOF Member
« Reply #23 on: January 05, 2014, 10:15:41 AM »
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/01/04/2011-first-rounders-can-finally-get-paid/

Found this at PFT. It shows that there are going to be some teams who are going to have to pay out some big bucks very soon. Expect AR to be "underpaid" by the time all the signings are done.
"My hopes are not always realized, but I always hope." Ovid

Offline griz145389

• All Pro
« Reply #24 on: January 07, 2014, 03:47:23 AM »

I don't mind if we let Raji walk, but with the way he has played this year, I would be shocked if he gets any offers above 5 per year.   If a guy can't show up to play in his contract year, it really brings into question what his performance will be like after a new contract is signed.   If Green Bay really wants him, I don't see them having to spend more than 6 to do so.    That offer should be higher than anything else he is going to get.   Personally I feel like he is more of 3-4 per year guy right now, but someone may pay a bit more than that, just don't see anyone going above 6.