January 24, 2021, 01:03:41 PM

Author Topic: New Year's Eve Mock from Walter  (Read 2733 times)

Offline golfman

• HOF Member
New Year's Eve Mock from Walter
« on: January 01, 2014, 08:31:05 AM »
http://walterfootball.com/draft2014_3.php

This would be a dream draft for me, although we're going to be picking 32nd and not 21st.

1. CJ Mosley, Alabama ILB
2. Trent Murphy, Stanford, OLB
3. Richard Rodgers, California, TE (don't know much about him)
"Make the Packers Great Again! "

Offline Mazrimiv

• HOF Member
Re: New Year's Eve Mock from Walter
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2014, 10:39:06 AM »

From an article I found

Quote from: Tight end Richard Rodgers leaves Cal for NFL
A year ago, then-Cal coach Jeff Tedford predicted Richard Rodgers could become the best tight end in college football.

It didn't happen, but Rodgers decided that he will enter the 2014 draft, the Cal football office confirmed Thursday.

A 6-foot-4, 245-pound junior, Rodgers caught 39 passes for 608 yards in Sonny Dykes' offense this season.

I wouldn't be thrilled with drafting a smallish TE prospect in that spot. Replace Rodgers with Fiedorowicz and I'd be pretty darn happy.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2014, 10:40:50 AM by Mazrimiv »

Offline golfman

• HOF Member
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2014, 12:18:33 PM »

From an article I found

Quote from: Tight end Richard Rodgers leaves Cal for NFL
A year ago, then-Cal coach Jeff Tedford predicted Richard Rodgers could become the best tight end in college football.

It didn't happen, but Rodgers decided that he will enter the 2014 draft, the Cal football office confirmed Thursday.

A 6-foot-4, 245-pound junior, Rodgers caught 39 passes for 608 yards in Sonny Dykes' offense this season.

I wouldn't be thrilled with drafting a smallish TE prospect in that spot. Replace Rodgers with Fiedorowicz and I'd be pretty darn happy.

I'd be Ok with Fiedorowicz, but if Rodgers is athletic enough to get down the seam and expose inside linebackers, I"m good with his size. Quarless and Stonebruner can do the blocking assuming we bring back Andrew.
"Make the Packers Great Again! "

Offline dannobanano

• HOF Member
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2014, 07:08:35 PM »
A late round/udfa player might be Ted Bosler TE Indiana.

6'6"/252

Semi finalist for the 2013 Mackey Award

Finished his career at Indiana with 116 receptions; 1337 yards; 15 TD's

Offline jthiel86

• HOF Member
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2014, 10:50:25 PM »
The boys from Indiana can put up points, so I wouldn't be opposed to Bosler late.  I would love to have Mosley and Murphy, that would be a dream first two rounds.
If you're gonna be dumb, you've gotta be tough.

50PoundHead

« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2014, 07:11:00 AM »
I'd be down with Bolser as a late pick as well.    Always hard to tell with QBs and receivers who come from a "touch football" offense, but he's a big kid who can get open.  Certainly not a deep threat, but if it's late in the draft and we haven't addressed the position, I think he'd be a solid pick.

Offline claymaker

• HOF Member
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2014, 07:25:37 AM »
Don't like Murphy. He's a better fit at DE in a 4-3. I'd probably rate Van Noy over Mosely and would rather have him over Mosely if it came to it. Pass rushers and coverage guys are a great thing to have, he's both. Both of them together would be my dream.

Offline backthepack4ever

• All Pro
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2014, 05:28:37 PM »
Don't like Murphy. He's a better fit at DE in a 4-3. I'd probably rate Van Noy over Mosely and would rather have him over Mosely if it came to it. Pass rushers and coverage guys are a great thing to have, he's both. Both of them together would be my dream.

I also have mixed feeling on Murphy but I do think he can play a 3-4 no problem.  not many teams are going to ask him to cover alot and his numbers speak for themself when it comes to getting to the qb and the run game.  Im interested to see how he moves this offseason but hes a football player. 

I like Van Noy also but no way i put him over Mosely.  1 they play different spots and Mosely has crazy good insticts.  That cat has a nose for the football.  Van Noy, to me seems to aviod contact some and relies on his speed and ability to get around the edge.  That does sit well with me if your hinting he could move to the inside.  Id love to have him but hed be a OLB for us.  I agree if we somehow could get both that be a dream draft. 

Offline dannobanano

• HOF Member
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2014, 07:50:21 PM »
Trent Murphy is 6'6"/261

Nick Perry 6'3"/265
Mike Neal 6'3"/285 (?) thought he lost some weight to play OLB?
Andy Mulumba 6'3"/260

Aldon Smith 6'4"/265
Justin Houston 6'3"/258
Tamba Hali 6'3"/275

Murphy is slightly taller than the other listed 3-4 OLB's, but his weight is comperable.

What I have been saying about the OLB's AND DL for the Packers is that they need to get LONGER (as in taller w/ long arms).

We (mostly) have short DL and average OLB, height wise. Getting taller/longer players that can disrupt passing lanes when they get their arms up can be just as useful as heavy pressure on a QB.

Thats why I have advocated players like Trent Murphy, Taylor Hart, etc

Offline claymaker

• HOF Member
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2014, 01:14:54 PM »
Murphy is just going to fit better in a 4-3. He's not athletic enough to be an OLB in the NFL. Maybe in college he could get away with it, but he should just stick to what he's good at. GB needs to get faster at LB. They need to stop drafting tweeners like Murphy, and just go for a seasoned LB.

Don't get me wrong I definitely think they need to get taller. Just not Murphy he doesn't fit our 3-4 well. Mosely is good but Van Noy could be a special pass rusher and just as good a LB.