March 22, 2019, 06:30:52 AM

Author Topic: DT Jesse Williams ALABAMA - Currently Underrated  (Read 3597 times)

Offline Drew the Draft Guru

• All Pro
  • Twitter: @DraftHobbyist
    • DraftHobbyist's NFL Draft Site
DT Jesse Williams ALABAMA - Currently Underrated
« on: November 09, 2012, 12:08:01 AM »
I've been a big fan of DT Jesse Williams. I've had him as a around 35th on my Big Board and had him going in the 1st round in a few mocks. I might even raise him soon. I really wanted to bring some attention to him because I think he's exactly what a lot of people on this board are looking for.

I've heard a lot about guys wanting DT's, especially a high pick to replace Pickett. Williams could be your guy. He previously played as a DE for ALABAMA and they moved him to a 0-technique NG. He seems to play a lot of snaps and he's very strong. Some of the word out on him is that he's even faster in pursuit than people might think. I think this guy has a real chance to become a stud, and right now he's going outside of the 1st round or very fringe 1st round if he does make it.

Now he's around 6'3" and 320 lbs which is a weight I absolutely love because a lot of these big guys have weight issues. I don't see that as a problem with Williams, but he's big (and strong) enough to be hard to move and to be a real anchor. I was doing some reading and actually read that he is from Australia with some Rugby background, so you know he's tough. Because of his Rugby background, he's been used at FB for ALABAMA which is something we have done with Raji and if nothing else shows how athletic he is. He's a Sr that did go the JUCO route, so he has lots of experience playing, too.

Here's his NFLDraftScout Profile: http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=97502&draftyear=2013&genpos=DT
Unfortunately he is coming off of a concussion earlier in the year.

Here's his CFBstats Profile: http://www.cfbstats.com/2012/player/8/1038423/miscdefense/gamelog.html
As you will see, he's not a guy that will rack up a lot of sacks or TFL's, but that doesn't mean he's not disruptive. He did block a kick, which is a nice bonus.

Youtube Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aBbTLxLiicA

Anyways, like I said this is a guy from Australia so he probably is still learning the game on top of everything, which only raises his ceiling. He just turned 22 so age shouldn't be a huge issue.
I AM NOT TO BE CONFUSED WITH DREW BOYLHART!!

Offline SunshinePacker

• HOF Member
Re: DT Jesse Williams ALABAMA - Currently Underrated
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2012, 08:21:37 AM »
Any thoughts on Shariff Floyd from Florida? Plays on a defense with no pass rush threats outside himself and does very well. Seems like he could be a beast.

Offline claymaker

• HOF Member
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2012, 10:33:40 AM »
I don't think anyone on Alabama's defense is underrated or overlooked. Seeing the first round and how the prospects are ranking I think you either get a big guy or trade out. Williams is a guy I love; he is thick, quick, and strong. Does playing on that defense make him a better player... might be the common argument. I don't think so: He is an impact player, from what I've seen, and lets the guys around make plays. All the while being able to punish you if you forget about him.

Pickett is definitely done after this year or next, so I put finding that other guy who can play NT as Green Bay's highest priority. In the draft you won't be able to get away with a mid or late round pick to address the need. Big men drafted late are seldom impact players.

Based off how slim the pickings are at skill positions in the first round, and the drop off from 20-32 grabbing a guy like this in the first would not anger me at all. Even if you could have traded out and maybe got him.

• All Pro
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2012, 11:36:29 AM »
I don't think anybody is being overlooked on Alabama's defense, either, but to say that nobody is being underrated on boards is just way to general of a statement.

As for Sharrif Floyd, I have him as a 3rd rounder right now, but I think that's too low so I'm probably going to move him up to the 2nd round. There are times where he really flashes and gets after the QB, but I think he's raw yet and uses bad technique a lot of times.

Online mancl

• HOF Member
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2012, 02:13:10 PM »
Count me in as a guy I who would love to have Williams in Green Bay next year.  Pickett is near the end- no guarantee of re signing Raji- DL is highest priority in my book.  One of the things I like about him is he didn't play American football until he was 14 and now he is a top player for one one of the best teams in the country.  Imagine how far he has come in a short time and with his physical skills how far he can go if he refined his skills.

Offline Terranimal

• HOF Member
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2012, 11:34:13 PM »
Any thoughts on Shariff Floyd from Florida? Plays on a defense with no pass rush threats outside himself and does very well. Seems like he could be a beast.

Yes, he is a player that has been on the rise. An original 5 star recruit out of H.S. Haven't said much about him because was saving that for a Draft thought and mock. He is currently carrying a rd 2 grade and has a chance to go late round 1. In our System would most likely be a DE.

• All Pro
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2012, 11:45:43 PM »
Jesse Williams is currently 320 lbs. The only position he likely wouldn't play on the DL is RDE. He could easily play NT or LDE.

Offline scoremore

• HOF Member
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2012, 05:55:09 AM »
Yah really like what you guys are thinking....

#1 priority is to get a big man in the middle.  Lucky for us draft is deep at this position.

TT will let the chips fall and pick BPA in round 1 though.

Could go WR, CB, DT, ILB, G/C, OT in round 1.

Think he may trade out of round 1 this year.  Get his WR in round 2 along with a DT.

We'll see long way away yet.  Had to guess he look for a WR, DT, pass catching TE, RB, G/C...

Jennings/DD gone so we'll need some replacements.   Stud RB would sure be nice.  DT guys covered this.  Agree big priority. 

Dunno what will happen with Fin.  He's simply not that good. Need a stud C/G type.

Could go shut down corner but we have some good corners.  OK at S think we have to good prospects there.