May 24, 2019, 08:57:34 AM

Author Topic: Expectations  (Read 1855 times)

Offline mancl

• HOF Member
Expectations
« on: November 09, 2012, 02:17:48 PM »
At another site, a fan commented about a player who has been discussed as a potential Packer #1 pick.  This fan remarked that the player is someone who can start on Day 1 and you can keep him there for the next 10 years without any worries.  This player will never be an elite player at his position however.

Is ' solid, reliable' good enough for a lst round pick or do you expect a lst rounder to be 'special.'

Offline Drew the Draft Guru

• All Pro
  • Twitter: @DraftHobbyist
    • DraftHobbyist's NFL Draft Site
Re: Expectations
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2012, 04:20:25 PM »
At another site, a fan commented about a player who has been discussed as a potential Packer #1 pick.  This fan remarked that the player is someone who can start on Day 1 and you can keep him there for the next 10 years without any worries.  This player will never be an elite player at his position however.

Is ' solid, reliable' good enough for a lst round pick or do you expect a lst rounder to be 'special.'

I think solid and reliable is good enough for a weak draft like this is going to be. At the end of the 1st round I think you need to get a starter, but you don't need to get a pro-bowler or anything like that.
I AM NOT TO BE CONFUSED WITH DREW BOYLHART!!

Offline OneTwoSixFive

• HOF Member
Re: Expectations
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2012, 01:16:18 PM »
The guys that make a difference are (wait for it) the difference makers. that is what GMs always look for. They are rare though, so you hunt for them, drafting guys and hoping one or two will step up into the difference maker category. If some of the other picks hold down a spot in a secure fashion, that helps keeps the team solid. Also, you cannot ignore your needs. You may HAVE to take an unspectacular guy to fill a hole in your team. You also have to plan for perceived future holes, like a guy you know you are going to let go next offseason because, for example, his cap figure is too high for his production.

So while everyone wants the difference maker, lots of things get in the way and confuse the draft selection, not least of which is potential often going unfulfilled.There are very few sure things in the draft game.

So are the Packers the kind of team to gamble on greatness ? Well, imo we are a little bit. We do take some chances, but shy away from the really big risks.
(ricky) "Personally, I'm putting this in a box, driving a stake through its heart, firing a silver bullet into its (empty) head, nailing it shut, loading it into a rocket and firing it into the sun. "

(Pink Floyd) "Set the controls for the heart of the sun"