November 23, 2020, 10:59:38 AM

Author Topic: 50#'s Pre-Combine Mock  (Read 4092 times)

50PoundHead

50#'s Pre-Combine Mock
« on: February 13, 2014, 09:16:34 AM »
Okay, folks.  I'm somewhat of a smarty-pants when I'm critiquing other mocks, so have at me!  Spare no scorn!  I'm not going to go into the "who goes/who stays?" free agency stuff to a great extent other than to say I think Raji is gone and Shields will stay.  I'm on the bubble about Tramon Williams.  Not doing anything with trades (although I'm pretty certain Thompson will trade several times during the draft.  Gave us a #3 for Jennings and a #6 for Walden (Optimistic!) I have used the rankings at NFLDraftScout and insight from nfl.com to try to keep the slotting realistic.

Enough already.  Here goes. 

#1 (21):  Calvin Pryor, S, Louisville.  Mosely would be my dream pick, but I don't think he's going to be there and he has had injury problems.
#2 (53):  Austin Sefarian-Jenkins, TE, Washington.  I might be too optimistic here about his availability.  Maybe CB Kyle Fuller if Sefarian-Jenkins is off the board.
#3 (85):  Daquan Jones, DT, Penn State.
#3 (c):  Keith McGill, CB, Utah.  If the Packers take Fuller in the 2nd, my guess it would be someone like ILB Christian Jones (a bit of a reach) or WR Jared Abbrederis.
#4:(120s):  Will Clarke, DE, West Virginia
#5:(150s):  David Fales, QB, San Jose State
#6:(180s):  Seantrel Henderson, OT, Miami.
#6 (c):  Ryan Carrethers, DT/NG, Arkansas State
#7: (220s): So many interesting guys, but I'm going with John Urschel, G, Penn State.

I've gone heavy on defense and recent reports are the Packers may sign up to five free agents and that they are zeroing in on the defense for those investments.  If that is the case, my guess is you'll see a more balanced draft.

Offline Half Empty

• HOF Member
Re: 50#'s Pre-Combine Mock
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2014, 09:37:09 AM »
I think any 'recent reports' you read at this point are going to prove to be as accurate as these mocks.   :)

50PoundHead

« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2014, 09:42:11 AM »
I think given the state of the defense, Thompson is going to invest in some free agent upgrades on the defensive side of the ball.  Much will depend on what the market bears because he is loathe to overpay, but there are a lot of reports out there that Capers really wants to get more athletic on defense.  Some of that will come through the draft and some through free agency.

But your basic point is right.  I doubt my mock will end up being that accurate.  If it were an ICBM aimed at Russia, all I can say is "Look out France!"

Offline dannobanano

• HOF Member
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2014, 03:53:31 PM »
Here's the report that Ian Rapoport made...............

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000325541/article/packers-could-be-big-spenders-raji-could-be-history?campaign=Twitter_atl

Rapoport reported on NFL Network that the Packers could sign as many as five players.................
The Packers want defensive linemen that better resemble Datone Jones, last year's first-round draft pick. Raji and Ryan Pickett are 330-pound behemoths who might no longer fit what the team wants to do.

If this has ANY credibility, it would seem that drafting or signing any "Big Fatties" at NT will be a pipe dream going forward.

« Last Edit: February 13, 2014, 03:54:08 PM by dannobanano »

Offline backthepack4ever

• All Pro
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2014, 08:11:20 PM »
I think any 'recent reports' you read at this point are going to prove to be as accurate as these mocks.   :)

Hahaha. Yea that report is so off base it's funny. He didn't take into account of any of our own FAs   

Not a bad group of guys if it fell this way though.  I like Pryor but maybe not that high.  Either of them2 in the 2nd would be a steal. 

Offline backthepack4ever

• All Pro
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2014, 08:14:17 PM »
Here's the report that Ian Rapoport made...............

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000325541/article/packers-could-be-big-spenders-raji-could-be-history?campaign=Twitter_atl

Rapoport reported on NFL Network that the Packers could sign as many as five players.................
The Packers want defensive linemen that better resemble Datone Jones, last year's first-round draft pick. Raji and Ryan Pickett are 330-pound behemoths who might no longer fit what the team wants to do.

If this has ANY credibility, it would seem that drafting or signing any "Big Fatties" at NT will be a pipe dream going forward.

Nah u still need a fatty in the middle if u plan on a base 3-4. What they want is a fatty who can get some penetration.... Something pick and lazy ass Raji don't do.  Ellis or carrathers will be on the radar. 

Offline DWhitehurst

• HOF Member
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2014, 10:12:52 PM »
What they want is a fatty who can get some penetration.... 

My wife agrees.

Offline jthiel86

• HOF Member
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2014, 10:15:11 PM »

I don't think it's that off base.  MM himself said we are making adjustments to our defense this year to make it more like the defense Capers wants.  I think we as a group here on PC are very pessimistic about FA because we have had hopes in the past and gotten burned by Tight Wad Ted.  I feel optimistic about it this year for some reason.  Signing 5 players is probably off, but maybe 2-3 players would be good.

Hahaha. Yea that report is so off base it's funny. He didn't take into account of any of our own FAs   

Not a bad group of guys if it fell this way though.  I like Pryor but maybe not that high.  Either of them2 in the 2nd would be a steal. 
If you're gonna be dumb, you've gotta be tough.

Offline emc2feld

• Starter
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2014, 10:38:04 PM »
Okay, folks.  I'm somewhat of a smarty-pants when I'm critiquing other mocks, so have at me!  Spare no scorn!  I'm not going to go into the "who goes/who stays?" free agency stuff to a great extent other than to say I think Raji is gone and Shields will stay.  I'm on the bubble about Tramon Williams.  Not doing anything with trades (although I'm pretty certain Thompson will trade several times during the draft.  Gave us a #3 for Jennings and a #6 for Walden (Optimistic!) I have used the rankings at NFLDraftScout and insight from nfl.com to try to keep the slotting realistic.

#1 (21):  Calvin Pryor, S, Louisville.  Mosely would be my dream pick, but I don't think he's going to be there and he has had injury problems.
#2 (53):  Austin Sefarian-Jenkins, TE, Washington.  I might be too optimistic here about his availability.  Maybe CB Kyle Fuller if Sefarian-Jenkins is off the board.
#3 (c):  Keith McGill, CB, Utah.  If the Packers take Fuller in the 2nd, my guess it would be someone like ILB Christian Jones (a bit of a reach) or WR Jared Abbrederis.
#7: (220s): So many interesting guys, but I'm going with John Urschel, G, Penn State.

I've gone heavy on defense and recent reports are the Packers may sign up to five free agents and that they are zeroing in on the defense for those investments.  If that is the case, my guess is you'll see a more balanced draft.

In general, very good.  I'd be ecstatic with those first 4 picks.

1) I agree in that I'd be surprised if ASJ lasts until #53, but a steal at that spot.
2) Don't know anything about Will Clarke.  I'll have to look him up.  What initially caught your eye with him?
3) Only pick I'm not sure I like is Seantrel Henderson in 6a.  I'd rather see a FB, WR, KR, or LB drafted in this spot, I think.
4) I've been a bit critical of Carrethers in some previous posts, but if GB drafts him, I think this is about the right place.
5) Really like the Urschel pick.  Seems like the type of guy TT would draft.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2014, 10:41:49 PM by emc2feld »

50PoundHead

« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2014, 07:03:56 AM »

1) I agree in that I'd be surprised if ASJ lasts until #53, but a steal at that spot.
2) Don't know anything about Will Clarke.  I'll have to look him up.  What initially caught your eye with him?
3) Only pick I'm not sure I like is Seantrel Henderson in 6a.  I'd rather see a FB, WR, KR, or LB drafted in this spot, I think.
4) I've been a bit critical of Carrethers in some previous posts, but if GB drafts him, I think this is about the right place.

Saw Will Clarke in the East/West Shrine game.  Hard to go gaga on just one game, but he was very good.  He's 6-6 around 270.  May need to put on another 10-15 to play DE in our 3-4.

I'm partial to Henderson.  My brother teaches at where Henderson went to high school.  Not a bad kid, but probably wasn't up to being one of the top recruits in the nation emotionally.  Got a ton of advice (some of it bad).  Big kid who I think could contribute at the pro level if he gets his head right and some solid coaching.  I hear you on the other needs that could be targeted with this pick.  I guess I just fell prey to the "Save Aaron Rodgers" caucus.

On Pryor, it will be interesting to see where he ranks after the combine.  If he looks to be a late-1st guy, I wouldn't be surprised to see Thompson trade down a few picks and net an extra 3rd or 4th.  With two compensatory picks projected, Thompson should have the flexibility to move some of his tradeable picks to target certain guys (of course, he can't trade the compensatory picks) on the second day.  From everything that's been said since the season ended, I just think Pryor is a logical pick for the Packers.  We need help in the back eight on our defense more than anything else.  I think we can find the help up front through free agency (and yes, I think Thompson is going to sign some veteran free agents).  There is just a great need for speed and playmaking from our ILBs and Ss.  Pryor brings that (and so would Christian Jones).
« Last Edit: February 14, 2014, 07:07:23 AM by 50PoundHead »

Offline backthepack4ever

• All Pro
« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2014, 11:06:02 AM »

Saw Will Clarke in the East/West Shrine game.  Hard to go gaga on just one game, but he was very good.  He's 6-6 around 270.  May need to put on another 10-15 to play DE in our 3-4.

I'm partial to Henderson.  My brother teaches at where Henderson went to high school.  Not a bad kid, but probably wasn't up to being one of the top recruits in the nation emotionally.  Got a ton of advice (some of it bad).  Big kid who I think could contribute at the pro level if he gets his head right and some solid coaching.  I hear you on the other needs that could be targeted with this pick.  I guess I just fell prey to the "Save Aaron Rodgers" caucus.

On Pryor, it will be interesting to see where he ranks after the combine.  If he looks to be a late-1st guy, I wouldn't be surprised to see Thompson trade down a few picks and net an extra 3rd or 4th.  With two compensatory picks projected, Thompson should have the flexibility to move some of his tradeable picks to target certain guys (of course, he can't trade the compensatory picks) on the second day.  From everything that's been said since the season ended, I just think Pryor is a logical pick for the Packers.  We need help in the back eight on our defense more than anything else.  I think we can find the help up front through free agency (and yes, I think Thompson is going to sign some veteran free agents).  There is just a great need for speed and playmaking from our ILBs and Ss.  Pryor brings that (and so would Christian Jones).

I understand the logic on Pryor. We do need to fix the back end, I just don't see a rookie helping much yr one.  With a flooded FA pool of SS and FS. I think TT gets his man here this yr. 

Online claymaker

• HOF Member
« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2014, 12:32:14 PM »
E minus... no OLB or LBs at all. Honestly, I would kill Ted if he didn't draft one LB.

50PoundHead

« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2014, 08:37:59 AM »
Good point, but I have Christian Jones as a possibility in the 3rd or 4th (and Moseley is my dream first round pick).  I believe they will take an LB.  Just didn't see one in the appropriate value slot.

I'm not as high on Van Noy as others.

Offline SSG

• HOF Member
« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2014, 10:16:41 AM »
I love the 1st 4 picks. 

Pryor is the immediate answer for the teams most glaring ole (by far).  The more I watch him, the more I like him.  If Green Bay doesn't sign a starter

ASJ is the drafts most all around TE.  I also think he fills the team's second biggest hole.  Andrew Quarless is a back up TE.  I think we'll lose Jones this year and a legit receiving TE could be vital.  Quarless on countless opportunities has shown he isn't capable of being a consistent receiving threat.

Jones is a guy that I believe can eventually play all 3 positions on the defensive front.  I'm not sure he'll ever be a star but if our 2010 run proved anything it is we don't need stars on the front to be effective. 

McGill might be my favorite CB in the draft.  He's the biggest CB in the draft and he's a very fluid athlete.  He's got the speed and quickness that is usually lacking in the big CB prospects. 
Act your age, not your shoe size.