October 13, 2019, 03:18:46 PM

Author Topic: James Jones gone...signed with Raiders!  (Read 16404 times)

Offline mancl

• HOF Member
James Jones gone...signed with Raiders!
« on: February 23, 2014, 08:32:00 AM »
The Packers don't plan to offer James Jones a contract according an article in MJS

No surprise- Mc Carthy in particular loves Boykin .who did well last year.

This is an exceptionally deep group of WR in the draft- some good Free agents-  Jones will have a hard time getting a decent deal.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2014, 03:21:51 PM by LMGAdmin »

Offline Beagle

• HOF Member
Re: James Jones gone
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2014, 08:39:41 AM »
The Packers don't plan to offer James Jones a contract according an article in MJS

No surprise- Mc Carthy in particular loves Boykin .who did well last year.

This is an exceptionally deep group of WR in the draft- some good Free agents-  Jones will have a hard time getting a decent deal.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel reports the Packers plan to let James Jones walk in free agency.

"I don't think [GM] Ted Thompson wants him," Jones' agent said. The Packers are set at receiver with Jordy Nelson, Randall Cobb and Jarrett Boykin. They also need to get Nelson and Cobb extended within the next calendar year or so. Jones could face a semi-cold market due to age (30 in March) and a loaded draft and free-agent pool at the receiver position. Feb 23 - 9:07 AM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I like Jones and he has been a great Packer. I do hope he comes back but we need to sign him for low money.

Edit: Lets stay on Topic subject.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2014, 11:05:04 AM by LMGAdmin »
“It’s not whether you get knocked down, it’s whether you get up.” -V. Lombardi

Offline House

• Starter
Re: James Jones gone
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2014, 09:03:43 AM »
IM fine with him walking if he wants too much.. Boykin is ready and TT will draft someone in the middle rounds..

Offline be_here_now

• All Pro
Re: James Jones gone???
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2014, 12:37:53 PM »
i'd prefer that we at least offer him a modest deal.  i can see why they wouldn't want to pay a lot for him, but i think he's a proven and valuable player who seems to have put the regular drops and fumbles well behind him.  he always had great chemistry with Rodgers.

i wonder what the market for him will be. 

Offline dannobanano

• HOF Member
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2014, 01:04:04 PM »
I've been watching the Combine on tv today, and I have to say that the WR class seems to be very deep with talent, speed, size, whatever you want.

With extending Nelson and Cobb on the horizon and with the emergence of Boykin in 2013, plus several rookies (especially, Kevin Dorsey, Chris Harper, Myles White) that are still being groomed, I think it's tough to justify putting FA money into a WR who turns 30 on March 31st.

Brandin Cooks
Donte Moncrief
Jeff Janis

are all names that could considered as a possible WR pick by GB.

Offline Half Empty

• HOF Member
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2014, 01:15:01 PM »
Just for fun, I'd like to see some tall targets.  Jordy is 6-3, Boykin 6-2, all the other WR are 6-1 and under.  Finley is 6-5, Quarless 6-4, all the rest of the TEs are shorter.  Size isn't everything, but it counts.   :)

Offline dannobanano

• HOF Member
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2014, 02:12:19 PM »
Just for fun, I'd like to see some tall targets.  Jordy is 6-3, Boykin 6-2, all the other WR are 6-1 and under.  Finley is 6-5, Quarless 6-4, all the rest of the TEs are shorter.  Size isn't everything, but it counts.   :)

Moncrief is 6'2" / 226
Janis is 6'3" / 219

Both are good size receivers...........and I agree with you that that would be a good thing.

As for TE's, their are 8 of the top 15 ranked TE's that are 6'5" or taller.
Should be able to find one in this draft.

Two latter round picks that I find of interest are

Marcel Jensen 5th rnd
Ted Bolser 7th rnd

Offline lofton80

• Rookie
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2014, 04:04:11 PM »
i like jones, don't know what kind of money his agent is looking for. tough decision but if thompson spends the money on some defensive help, it would be better for the packers.

50PoundHead

« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2014, 07:40:48 PM »
I've always liked Jones.  Like someone said, he seemed to have a chemistry with Rodgers and he made a ton of big catches (also had a few big drops and fumbles early in his career).  Just kept getting better.  Curious to see where he ends up.

Offline DWhitehurst

• HOF Member
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2014, 07:58:26 PM »

As for TE's, their are 8 of the top 15 ranked TE's that are 6'5" or taller.
Should be able to find one in this draft.

Two latter round picks that I find of interest are

Marcel Jensen 5th rnd
Ted Bolser 7th rnd

Jensen intrigues me too. His slow 40 time at the Combine is concerning, but he is fairly smooth (body control), and if he can be stout for inline blocking which I think he can, he'd be a good late-round pick.

Offline jthiel86

• HOF Member
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2014, 11:04:39 PM »
Think Jennings will recruit him to MN?????  I hope not... If they get a competent QB and....ugh...
If you're gonna be dumb, you've gotta be tough.

Offline golfman

• HOF Member
« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2014, 04:31:37 AM »
Think Jennings will recruit him to MN?????  I hope not... If they get a competent QB and....ugh...

I think James Jones is smart enough to realize the QB situation over there. The Vikes also drafted Corredelle Patterson in round 1 last year and he's going to have to play a lot more this year.
"Make the Packers Great Again! "

Offline SSG

• HOF Member
« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2014, 01:25:57 PM »
No big surprise here.  I like the guy but he is making to much for a #4 WR.
Act your age, not your shoe size.

Offline iarwain

• HOF Member
« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2014, 01:14:32 PM »
I'd like to keep Jones, but I can see why they wouldn't want to pay too much for him.
Sigh.  Probably another Packer going to Minnesota.

Offline Mazrimiv

• HOF Member
« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2014, 02:06:14 PM »
Jones couldn't have picked two worse years to hit the FA market.  His first time around, the league was in the middle of a labor dispute.  This time he's up against the deepest class of rookie WR's I can remember.  He's going to be a nice bargain (again) for somebody.