October 13, 2019, 05:22:35 PM

Author Topic: The Broncos' ambitious spending is exciting, but promises nothing...  (Read 2799 times)

Offline LMG

• Administrator
  • HOF Member
    • Where are we?

From Don Banks on SI.com

Teams making the kind of free-agent shopping expenditures that Denver just made have not seen the story end happily. The on-paper improvement that seemed so obvious in March has not translated to on-field production in the fall. Miami last year, Philadelphia in 2011, Washington in any number of the early seasons of Daniel Snyder's ownership -- they all fit the profile. Dismiss the trend if you dare, but NFL teams that win the offseason don't usually win the postseason.

It's the only step that matters in Denver this season, winning the Super Bowl and finishing the job in the brief time left in Manning's Hall of Fame career. It was a giddy and productive 24 hours for Denver, to be sure. But the success of free agency and what unfolds next season might wind up being very different things. The Broncos felt the need to spend big on some big names and hopefully reap big results. But free agency at that level is always a roll of the dice, and even the best-laid plans can look like poor gambles in time.

Complete article....
If you are not the lead dog the view never changes.

Offline Beagle

• HOF Member
Re: The Broncos' ambitious spending is exciting, but promises nothing...
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2014, 08:35:08 AM »

Interesting but he actually supports the free agent signings:

*************************************************************************************************************************************************************************
First off, an admission: I like the aggressive, all-in approach defending AFC champion Denver adopted in an attempt to dramatically upgrade its defense. Adding Browns safety T.J. Ward, Patriots cornerback Aqib Talb and Cowboys defensive end/linebacker DeMarcus Ware -- at the cost of a hefty $60 million in guarantees -- should put the Broncos defense nearly on equal footing with its record-breaking offense. And for a team that has only had to hold most of its opponents under 30 points to win, that has to be quite the comfort zone to inhabit.
*************************************************************************************************************************************************************************

The attempt to improve the defense is a sign that they want to take a lot of pressure off of Manning. Still, they look to be the class of the AFC going into this year. I am also sure that Elway saw (and now remembers) that having the best defense on the field usually always beats the best offense. Defense wins championships, as they say.

« Last Edit: March 14, 2014, 09:30:30 AM by Beagle »
“It’s not whether you get knocked down, it’s whether you get up.” -V. Lombardi

Offline Hincha

• HOF Member
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2014, 09:15:48 AM »
Interesting but he actually supports the free agent signings:
First off, an admission: I like the aggressive, all-in approach defending AFC champion Denver adopted in an attempt to dramatically upgrade its defense. Adding Browns safety T.J. Ward, Patriots cornerback Aqib Talb and Cowboys defensive end/linebacker DeMarcus Ware -- at the cost of a hefty $60 million in guarantees -- should put the Broncos defense nearly on equal footing with its record-breaking offense. And for a team that has only had to hold most of its opponents under 30 points to win, that has to be quite the comfort zone to inhabit.

The attempt to improve the defense is a sign that they want to take a lot of pressure off of Manning. Still, they look to be the class of the AFC going into this year. I am also sure that Elway saw (and now remembers) that having the best defense on the field usually always beatd the best offense. Defense wins championships, as they say.

I do not blame the Broncos either... they have QB with small window to win Super Bowl, why not go for broke and it is obvious now he needs some help to win the Super Bowl.

Offline marklawrence

• Administrator
  • HOF Member
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2014, 11:48:18 PM »
Yah, well, there was one team that the Broncos defense had to hold to under 8 points to win.
“Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.” -- John F. Kennedy.

Online ricky

• HOF Member
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2014, 04:32:29 AM »
I heard about this team where they signed some FA's. One was a CB, guy who is seen as a still on the rise, and is being touted as being a shutdown CB soon. And only 26. Also, a guy, a DE/LB hybrid, who, though there were some rough patches with injuries, still is seen as having some upside, and did make some plays last year while settling into a new position after regaining a more comfortable body weight. Also, a TE who was showing some real promise when he had a catstrophic knee injury. He fought to get back on the field, and put up some decent numbers in limited time last year. Again, a guy who still has upside.

I am so jealous! Why can't GB do something like that?
"My hopes are not always realized, but I always hope." Ovid

Offline Ellis269

• HOF Member
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2014, 09:24:23 AM »
I'll admit that their defense struggled at times last year, but ultimately it was their offense that lost them the Super Bowl. And all the additions on defense have caused them to lose key offensive players. If you have a QB like Manning who is at the end of his window, you go all in. I personally would have gone a different route, but that's me.

Offline Leader

• HOF Member
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2014, 09:51:21 AM »

I'll stick this here as I guess "technically" Sanders isnt an FA anymore.....but - I think that "agreement" with Denver should be voided and he be awarded
to KC (the team his Agent had agreed in principle with). I've no clue how the CBA reads on this, but if Sanders has a beef - its with his Agent. If there's history or incidences of teams doing this to Agents and/or their players - then all holds are off. What's fair for one is fair for the other - but I think its a real bad precedent to allow an Agent to "wheel & deal" like this. KC could have changed its plans based on that agreement. 

Offline davekenya

• HOF Member
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2014, 03:52:32 PM »
One big signing might allow you to squeak by, but when you pay big bucks to multiple UFAs, you're really rolling the dice.  Several things ARE promised:

You will likely lose players you otherwise could have fit into your future caps because you're paying these huge salaries.  There's no way around it.

You will have no sense of cap coherency within your team -- you're creating greater pay disparities between players than their talents would dictate (not lost on the 'have nots' btw) which will create some tension.

You are ignoring history -- for every big naming signing who ends up being successful, there are multiple 'flops'.

Offline Half Empty

• HOF Member
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2014, 12:51:35 PM »
I'll admit that their defense struggled at times last year, but ultimately it was their offense that lost them the Super Bowl. And all the additions on defense have caused them to lose key offensive players. If you have a QB like Manning who is at the end of his window, you go all in. I personally would have gone a different route, but that's me.

Sort of like the 2011 Packers.  Live by offense, die by lack of it.  One regular season loss, scoring 14, and one-and-done in the playoffs, putting up 20.

Offline golfman

• HOF Member
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2014, 03:25:59 PM »
I disagree that their spending promises nothing. It promises many very difficult cap decisions in the next few years which are going to leave the cupboards bare and IMO, bring ZERO Super Bowls.
"Make the Packers Great Again! "