November 20, 2018, 03:29:43 PM

Author Topic: Evan Dietrich-Smith  (Read 20253 times)

Online marklawrence

• Administrator
  • HOF Member
Re: Evan Dietrich-Smith
« Reply #30 on: March 11, 2014, 03:38:33 PM »
I think you are correct.  If all else fails, I would think one could kick Lang to center and put Barclay at guard.  Barclay and Bulaga on the right and we should be ok.

You guys talk like OL are lego blocks.
I'm a Deplorable Freeloader, clinging to my Guns and Bible! And Proud of it!

Offline Half Empty

• HOF Member
« Reply #31 on: March 11, 2014, 03:44:29 PM »
Isn't that how the Pack treats them?

Offline Twain

• HOF Member
« Reply #32 on: March 11, 2014, 05:28:12 PM »
I think you are correct.  If all else fails, I would think one could kick Lang to center and put Barclay at guard.  Barclay and Bulaga on the right and we should be ok.

Not really.  The statement was made with the idea that Tretter is not a sure thing at center if EDS signs somewhere else.

With EDS visiting Tampa, it leaves the team to deal with the change.  Lang actually did ok at center when EDS was out, and Barclay looks to me to be a more natural guard than tackle. He doesn't seem to have the foot speed to deal with tackle.   If Bulaga is healthy, I don't see Barclay beating him out for tackle, nor would I see Barclay winning at left tackle over Bahktiari.

Half Empty is right.  Its the way the Packers run the OL.  Lang played guard, center, and tackle last year.  The Packers will change positions on the line rather than leave everyone in place and bring in a backup when an injury occurs.  Why then would it be any different when they have the whole off season for a guy to prepare for the new position?

"The trouble ain't that there are too many fools, but that the lightning ain't distributed right."

Offline Beagle

• HOF Member
« Reply #33 on: March 11, 2014, 06:54:38 PM »

Not really.  The statement was made with the idea that Tretter is not a sure thing at center if EDS signs somewhere else.

With EDS visiting Tampa, it leaves the team to deal with the change.  Lang actually did ok at center when EDS was out, and Barclay looks to me to be a more natural guard than tackle. He doesn't seem to have the foot speed to deal with tackle.   If Bulaga is healthy, I don't see Barclay beating him out for tackle, nor would I see Barclay winning at left tackle over Bahktiari.

Half Empty is right.  Its the way the Packers run the OL. Lang played guard, center, and tackle last year.  The Packers will change positions on the line rather than leave everyone in place and bring in a backup when an injury occurs.  Why then would it be any different when they have the whole off season for a guy to prepare for the new position?

That doesn't make it right nor is it the philosophy behind building an offensive line. You don't want to move an already proven RT over to C to fill a hole and then have to go out and find another RT who may or may not be able to do the job. Right now, the Packers have 3 good OL who did their job very well last year:

Sitton - LG
EDS - C
Lang - RG

These guys started all 16 games at their respective positions and it should be what we build around. Guys like Barclay (RT), Newhouse need to be removed from the team and Bakhtiari will need another season at LT to try and improve. Bulaga and Tretter along with Sherrod are basically unknown at this point. If they can even make it out on the field. Shuffling all of these guys around year in and year out instead of getting proven players at their respective positions is why Rodgers is the most sacked QB in the NFL and why he missed so much playing time. Not to mention it doesn't do the running game any favors at all.

The Packers have a decent line except at the Tackle positions. Bulaga coming back may help but now he will need time to get up to speed. Can't teach experience. If EDS is gone, then we have to fill out the C position and hope the other guys can "shuffle" to a new position or waste another precious draft pick on the OL. (Then teach him them NFL level play and give them 3 years or more to pan out, assuming they don't get injured....) Of course Bakhtiari will be the LT and we are banking on improvement because his pass protection was OK but his run blocking was horrid.

OL and DL have been a disservice to the organization and I don't think just drafting will fix them. Not to mention the Safety position.
“It’s not whether you get knocked down, it’s whether you get up.” -V. Lombardi

Offline JQ

• HOF Member
« Reply #34 on: March 11, 2014, 08:30:56 PM »
I definitely think the Packers needed to keep the middle of the O-line intact, especially since they ran between the tackles ALOT with Lacy last year. And with the emergence of a power running game, I'm bewildered that the Packers don't seem to see the value in having a hard-nosed, durable, and experienced center on the team.

If EDS does sign with another team, I sure hope the Packers have a real good plan to bolster the heart of their line. Like many of you, I don't care for the "plug and play" solution, especially in this situation. And two years ago, when the Packers let Scott Wells walk, we wound up with the "Jeff Saturday Experiment." I wonder if they even made EDS an offer...  \ - : #
« Last Edit: March 11, 2014, 09:19:05 PM by JQ »

Online craig

• HOF Member
« Reply #35 on: March 11, 2014, 09:56:12 PM »
I definitely think the Packers needed to keep the middle of the O-line intact, especially since they ran between the tackles ALOT with Lacy last year. And with the emergence of a power running game, I'm bewildered that the Packers don't seem to see the value in having a hard-nosed, durable, and experienced center on the team…

It may be that they don't think experience or keeping the line intact is as important.  But perhaps they do value the importance of the power running game, and that's why they want a bigger and more athletic  guy than EDS at center.  They may believe that Tretter is bigger and better for the inside running game than EDS can ever be, given his size limitations. 

Or, of course, they may sign EDS in a few days, once he checks around and perhaps discovers that what the Packers are offering is fair and is as much or more than anybody else will offer.  Why take a deal now when you might spend the next several years wondering if you signed for too little and could have gotten more?  By checking out the market, that can relieve the mind that the deal you settled for is fair and competitive. 

Online marklawrence

• Administrator
  • HOF Member
« Reply #36 on: March 11, 2014, 10:28:25 PM »
I liked EDS ok. Apparently Aaron liked EDS ok.

But apparently he's just a guy. We're a bit short of cap room, we're not going to pay $$$ for just a guy.
I'm a Deplorable Freeloader, clinging to my Guns and Bible! And Proud of it!

Offline Half Empty

• HOF Member
« Reply #37 on: March 12, 2014, 05:10:52 AM »
It may be that they don't think experience or keeping the line intact is as important.  But perhaps they do value the importance of the power running game, and that's why they want a bigger and more athletic  guy than EDS at center.  They may believe that Tretter is bigger and better for the inside running game than EDS can ever be, given his size limitations. 

Or, of course, they may sign EDS in a few days, once he checks around and perhaps discovers that what the Packers are offering is fair and is as much or more than anybody else will offer.  Why take a deal now when you might spend the next several years wondering if you signed for too little and could have gotten more?  By checking out the market, that can relieve the mind that the deal you settled for is fair and competitive.

Bigger?  Tretter is a couple of inches taller (which may or may not be good at the position) and the same weight.  Better?  EDS is, at worst, reliable, while Tretter is a complete novice at the position.  Certainly don't think EDS negotiations would start so far apart that he couldn't be retained, which I think is a much better idea than betting on Tretter (or anyone else that hasn't played center).

Offline tommyboy

• Starter
« Reply #38 on: March 12, 2014, 06:14:47 AM »
Looks like the Giants are really going after EDS. Makes sense. Mcadoo is offensive coordinator and EDS knows his system and will make line calls. If not Giants, TB is signing everybody they meet with. Lets not forget,Gb gave him a minimum offer last year on a 1yr deal. Players don't forget this. TT released GVR and said they wanted to get bigger at the position. Now they don't try to sign EDS who was smaller than GVR so I wouldn't be surprised if a true center is drafted and steps into the position as a starter. You can't keep playing musical chairs on the OL. Lang and Sitton are the guards. Bulaga is one of the tackles and Barclay, bak and sherrord will battle it out for the other tackle. Tretter is a back up and Taylor may be on the bubble.

Offline Beagle

• HOF Member
« Reply #39 on: March 12, 2014, 06:19:07 AM »
I liked EDS ok. Apparently Aaron liked EDS ok.

But apparently he's just a guy. We're a bit short of cap room, we're not going to pay $$$ for just a guy.

Aaron wants him back and I read a report that EDS is "solid and at times imposing" at the C position. I think he might be a little bit more than "just a guy" on our line. Looks like the Packers are going to have Tretter move to the Center position if EDS departs. Not sure where his $$$ value should be placed.

He is currently visiting the Bucs and the Giants are interested as well.

Online craig

• HOF Member
« Reply #40 on: March 12, 2014, 07:21:32 AM »
...Bigger?  Tretter is a couple of inches taller (which may or may not be good at the position) and the same weight.  Better?  EDS is, at worst, reliable, while Tretter is a complete novice at the position.  ...

Those facts are true: EDS has been reliable, Tretter is a complete novice, Tretter is taller. 

Given those facts, why might the Packers let EDS go?  Because of money and/or projected performance.  The money saved won't be huge.  So they must project Tretter's performance to become acceptable or perhaps superior. 

My guess is that size is part of it.  Tretter may have been the same weight last year, but young NFL guys often get bigger and stronger.  The Packers may project that in 2014 and 2015, that Tretter will not only be a couple of inches taller with longer arms/reach, but also that he'll have added weight and strength, such that he will be effectively bigger and stronger than EDS and potentially more effective in the power game.

If in fact they do let EDS go without the money being a huge factor, that's the only way I can understand their logic. 

Offline OneTwoSixFive

• HOF Member
« Reply #41 on: March 12, 2014, 07:31:49 AM »
Bigger?  Tretter is a couple of inches taller (which may or may not be good at the position) and the same weight.  Better?  EDS is, at worst, reliable, while Tretter is a complete novice at the position.  Certainly don't think EDS negotiations would start so far apart that he couldn't be retained, which I think is a much better idea than betting on Tretter (or anyone else that hasn't played center).

As Craig, who has just posted before me said, Tretter may be bigger this year than last, we'll see. perhaps he has the frame to get bigger that EDS doesn't. Size apart, if he can get to the second level better than EDS, the Packers line will be better. He also went to Cornell, so his IQ is almost certainly higher than EDS, who only got a 15 on the Wonderlich. That may not translate to football IQ, but it often does.  Additionally, Tretter has OT agility which will serve him well at center, just as EDS's versatility helped him (played all five positions along the line at college). If the Packers do not suffer a dropoff with Tretter in, they are ahead (saving money). If he becomes better than EDS, they are even further ahead of the game. The risk part is if he is worse. In projecting what Tretter could be, what the coaching staff thinks about him right now, is key. Lack of a strong push to sign EDS is the only clue we have.

The "Tretter is a novice" argument is certainly valid, but he has had a year more than Bakhtiari (picked in the same round) to absorb the scheme, before being thrown in, and did get some work in at the end of the season. What I am getting at, is that the Packers have sometimes gone into a season relying on players who are fairly inexperienced, a sort of anti-49ers philosophy (49ers philosophy works well when injuries are low, as they have been with that team, not so well when injuries pile up, as with the Packers recently). The largest part of this decision (assuming they do lose EDS and do put Tretter at center) will be down to how confident the coaches are with Tretter, given what they have seen so far. Their inner minds are something we can only guess at.

For the sake of accuracy, it is worth pointing out that although Tretter is taller, his arm length is an ordinary 32.5". I doubt that is much different to EDS.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2014, 07:35:11 AM by OneTwoSixFive »
(ricky) "Personally, I'm putting this in a box, driving a stake through its heart, firing a silver bullet into its (empty) head, nailing it shut, loading it into a rocket and firing it into the sun. "

(Pink Floyd) "Set the controls for the heart of the sun"

Offline Donzo

• HOF Member
  • Living the Dream
« Reply #42 on: March 12, 2014, 10:08:37 AM »
Certainly don't think EDS negotiations would start so far apart that he couldn't be retained.

Do you have any details on this or a link?

Offline Half Empty

• HOF Member
« Reply #43 on: March 12, 2014, 10:34:19 AM »
Certainly don't think EDS negotiations would start so far apart that he couldn't be retained.

Do you have any details on this or a link?

Nope - that's why the 'think', an opinion.

Offline Beagle

• HOF Member
« Reply #44 on: March 12, 2014, 10:35:34 AM »
 snip from an article:

Parker and Packers negotiator Russ Ball were seen speaking with one another at the scouting combine two weeks ago, and a source who knows Dietrich-Smith well said the Packers have made it clear they want the veteran back. The sides have been talking about a long-term deal but haven't reached common ground.

Link to the article:

http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/packers-focus-centers-around-dietrich-smith-as-he-hits-open-market-b99220553z1-249089031.html

Interesting assessment:

The St. Louis Rams signed Wells to a four-year, $24 million deal in 2012 that included $13 million in guaranteed money, which was more than what the Packers were offering before free agency started. The loss of Wells was felt through the next season, when free agent Jeff Saturday proved to be a huge downgrade and Evan Dietrich-Smith had to step in late in the year.

What Ted is thinking:

?