October 16, 2019, 10:43:10 PM

Author Topic: Evan Dietrich-Smith  (Read 21842 times)

Offline Beagle

• HOF Member
Evan Dietrich-Smith
« on: March 07, 2014, 08:31:22 AM »
I really don't want to lose him. He played very well for us last year, as did both of our Guards. I would love to see another OL added with a healthy Bulaga and of course EDS resigned.

********************************************************************************************************************************************************************
FOX Sports' Alex Marvez reports free agent C Evan Dietrich-Smith could be an option for the Giants if they decide to release C David Baas.

Aaron Rodgers wants the Packers to re-sign his center, but he appears set to reach free agency. Still only 28 (in July), Dietrich-Smith would be an upgrade on the aging, injury-prone and expensive Baas. The Giants cannot maintain the status quo on their offensive line, which was one of the league's worst in 2013.
********************************************************************************************************************************************************************
“It’s not whether you get knocked down, it’s whether you get up.” -V. Lombardi

Offline philepps85

• All Pro
Re: Evan Dietrich-Smith
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2014, 10:57:53 AM »
I thought he was so-so. Certainly the best they've got at center for the time being, but with an inside-running horse like Lacy they need a beast in the middle.

I think the problem the Packers have is making a multi-year commitment with guaranteed money to EDS when they aren't convinced he's the long-term answer.

Offline JPPlaya

• HOF Member
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2014, 11:17:14 AM »
I don't want to understate his value because I think he's been solid, but it appears that the team doesn't value him that much. Low tender last season and no talk of extending him. My opinion is that they feel that either Barclay or Lang can move in there this year with Bulaga taking over at RT. I don't expect him back. Just my thoughts.

Offline craig

• HOF Member
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2014, 12:25:46 PM »
I think we'll resign him.  But, with free agency you never know where some other team like the Giants might value him, and where ted will set the limit. 

It does seem like it would be a shame when we've finally gotten an o-line that can run-block OK to have it totally reshaped again.  Two or three new starters, again? 

I can't imagine they'd really take seriously moving Lang over at this point in his career. 

Barclay and Tretter battling it out for center?  Yikes that would be no experience whatsoever, that could be pretty scary.  But, you never know, maybe one of them would pick it up fast and by mid-season we'd be glad of it.  I suppose if you're going to go D+D, you've got to just take some gambles sometimes, can't just play it the safe way.  Maybe the Packers are due to get lucky with one of these.  There really haven't been that many "develop" guys who've really improved that much recently. 

Offline be_here_now

• All Pro
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2014, 12:34:57 PM »
EDS seems pretty average to me.  he's someone we can win with but we could upgrade at the position too, although i'm not convinced that there's a better option on the roster right now.  i don't think Barclay is nimble enough to play the position based on what we've seen of him at RT.  Tretter is basically an unknown (at least to us fans) at this point.

i'd be happy if they signed EDS to a modest deal so we're not scrambling to fill the position.  there's a lot to be said for continuity on the OL too.

Offline francis

• Starter
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2014, 12:50:27 PM »
EDS is really underated: I think he could one of those guys no talks about and then he makes the Probowl (although making the Probowl is not what it used to be) and everyone says how they were saying he was great for years. I dont think there is anyone better on the roster and I wouldn't be happy with moving Lang or Barclay. I think EDS had a good season, solid and dependable but also showed up in a few games too with good blocks at the second level. He's worth investing in with a few years contract.

I don't think the Packers can really afford to start again this year at the position especially with so many holes to plug on D.

Offline dannobanano

• HOF Member
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2014, 02:54:52 PM »
Has anyone heard what kind of money EDS & agent are looking for??  IMO..............that plays a part in this too.

Plus, I don't think Barclay is the top contender if EDS leaves. It's Tretter who they think is the most likely candidate.

Last year Barclay struggled with shot-gun snaps, and that's a major red flag for a Center.

Also, Lang stays at RG and Lane Taylor may end up as the primary backup at C and both G's. Taylor was the reserve Center while he played at Oklahoma St.

Offline Mazrimiv

• HOF Member
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2014, 06:05:41 PM »
EDS is OK but nothing special.  That being said, he's head and shoulders above any other C on the roster, and the FA market looks like slim pickings.  Letting EDS walk seems pretty risky, but it appears that TT is willing to go down that road.

Offline Gregg

• HOF Member
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2014, 06:32:50 PM »
I think TT is going to go with Tretter.

But I also think he will draft  center-guard.

This is a really good year for centers in the draft.  And you can usually get a good one by the fourth round.

Offline SSG

• HOF Member
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2014, 06:47:05 PM »
I don't want to understate his value because I think he's been solid, but it appears that the team doesn't value him that much. Low tender last season and no talk of extending him. My opinion is that they feel that either Barclay or Lang can move in there this year with Bulaga taking over at RT. I don't expect him back. Just my thoughts.

I don't think many GMs in the NFL value him.  He could have been had for back up Center money last season and there wasn't even a sniff.
Act your age, not your shoe size.

Offline Hincha

• HOF Member
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2014, 07:19:24 PM »
I don't think many GMs in the NFL value him.  He could have been had for back up Center money last season and there wasn't even a sniff.

Good point....   he got no sniffs at all that I remember.

Online ricky

• HOF Member
« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2014, 07:51:13 PM »
EDS is probably best known in the league as the guy that Suh stomped on in a game a few years ago. Allegedly, Suh was upset because EDS was untying Suh's shoelaces in pileups. Seriously.

I think TT looks at EDS a a guy who can be replaced with little/no effect. That written, it'd be nice to have him back so there could be some continuity on the line. 
"My hopes are not always realized, but I always hope." Ovid

Offline dannobanano

• HOF Member
« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2014, 08:02:25 PM »
EDS is probably best known in the league as the guy that Suh stomped on in a game a few years ago. Allegedly, Suh was upset because EDS was untying Suh's shoelaces in pileups. Seriously.

I think TT looks at EDS a a guy who can be replaced with little/no effect. That written, it'd be nice to have him back so there could be some continuity on the line.

Didn't AR jokingly complain about EDS sweating so much that he didn't like having to take the snap from his sweaty crotch?

Found it.......................

http://www.sportsgrindent.com/blog/tag/aaron-rodgers/

great guy — Evan Dietrich-Smith, he has major sweat issues. And when you get that ball snapped up and there’s a lot of sweat that just splashes all over you and on your hands and the ball — it’s not a good situation. So he actually has changed at halftime before.

Offline Donzo

• HOF Member
  • Living the Dream
« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2014, 06:41:02 AM »
This guy could be next.

I'm good either way... I think he's solid & hasn't peaked yet. But, if another team wants to pay him big money, then go with Tretter/Taylor/draft pick.

Online ricky

• HOF Member
« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2014, 07:26:55 AM »

Didn't AR jokingly complain about EDS sweating so much that he didn't like having to take the snap from his sweaty crotch?

Found it.......................

http://www.sportsgrindent.com/blog/tag/aaron-rodgers/

great guy — Evan Dietrich-Smith, he has major sweat issues. And when you get that ball snapped up and there’s a lot of sweat that just splashes all over you and on your hands and the ball — it’s not a good situation. So he actually has changed at halftime before.

There's a joke in this comment that is just begging to be told, but far be it from me to stoop to juvenile humor about Rodgers not liking to play with sweaty balls. Nope, not me.  ::)
"My hopes are not always realized, but I always hope." Ovid