October 15, 2019, 09:49:09 PM

Author Topic: Is Green Bay in play for Jones or Houston??  (Read 11490 times)

Offline bbayley

• HOF Member
Re: Is Green Bay in play for Jones or Houston??
« Reply #30 on: March 10, 2014, 12:37:30 PM »
I'm a huge fan of both Jones and Houston if used properly. What's tempering my hopes is the early indications that this will be a crazy spending free agency period.

When the auctioneer gets frothy, TT tends to sneak away to a quiet corner (and rightfully so). Both players are significantly better all-around players than Everson Griffen, who just hauled in $42M/5, so the tag might be steep.

Unfortunately I have to completely agree with this.  Even in situations like last year with Steven Jackson, where he signed a very reasonable deal and all signs looked like GB would be his best fit, he still managed to end up elsewhere.  With the size of the deals being handed out right now I don't think we would be able to grab Jones or Houston for <$5mm per year.

That being said, we have quite a bit of cap room and even if it takes a little while we have to spend it somewhere so lets see how it plays out

Offline cheech

• HOF Member
Re: Is Green Bay in play??
« Reply #31 on: March 10, 2014, 03:34:14 PM »
A more reputable source, NFL.com, is now reporting the Packers interest in DE's Houston and Jones.

Read more....

I think this is Rapoport trying to cover his tail.  MM debunked his rumor about more athletic DL at the combine.  He looked stupid.  Now they put an article on NFL.com with Rapoport as the source?  If you say it enough times its true in the media.  (Even though the agent said that the rumor is false.) 

I would remove Rapoport from your list of credible sources.  PFT has more credibility than that guy. 
I'm right and everyone else does not have an opinion worth talking about.

Offline dannobanano

• HOF Member
« Reply #32 on: March 10, 2014, 04:14:47 PM »
I remember what MM said at the Combine, but MM isn't the one who makes the personnel decisions, and we have heard nothing from TT on that front.
So I have to take what MM said, with a grain of salt.
Besides.........at this time of year it's all about misdirection and disinformation.
Can't believe what anyone says, until something happens. Including Houston's agent, when he says he has not been contacted by Green Bay.

Offline cheech

• HOF Member
« Reply #33 on: March 10, 2014, 05:39:57 PM »
I remember what MM said at the Combine, but MM isn't the one who makes the personnel decisions, and we have heard nothing from TT on that front.
So I have to take what MM said, with a grain of salt.
Besides.........at this time of year it's all about misdirection and disinformation.
Can't believe what anyone says, until something happens. Including Houston's agent, when he says he has not been contacted by Green Bay.

The agent has nothing to lose by saying GB hasn't contacted him.  He has everything to gain by telling the truth.  If you truthfully indicate that 7 teams are in play for one guy his value goes up. 

Rapoport has nothing to lose because media today aren't held accountable for jack. 
I'm right and everyone else does not have an opinion worth talking about.

Offline SackMan

• Second String
« Reply #34 on: March 10, 2014, 06:00:30 PM »
This dl class is pretty decent for 3-4 capable guys:

Lamarr Houston
Arthur Jones
Linval Joseph
Paul Soliai
Tyson Jackson
Pat Sims
Clinton Mcdonald
Ziggy Hood
And then our own guys: Raji, Pickett and Jolly

Houston is probably the only real exciting name, meaning he is probably out of TT's price range once offers start flying.  Getting two lesser guys on the list could still really help the defense though.

Offline DWhitehurst

• HOF Member
« Reply #35 on: March 10, 2014, 06:14:24 PM »
If we get Jones and Raji comes back on a one year deal our dline is in pretty good shape.  Jones, Jones, Raji, with Boyd, Daniels, Worthy and others backing up.  I think getting both is a bit of a longshot but if we did it would sure make the draft a little easier.  Safety, TE, OLB

I wo
Given uncertainties with Pickett, I'd still like to see a big ugly taken in later rounds of the draft, say a Justin Ellis if he's still there in round 5 or later.

Offline GBRoCk2

• HOF Member
« Reply #36 on: March 10, 2014, 06:57:25 PM »
Reports are Bears are working hard on signing Houston, would love to move right in ahead of them and grab him.

Of course, given the bears offseason history, they will sign a number of players.

Online marklawrence

• Administrator
  • HOF Member
« Reply #37 on: March 10, 2014, 10:50:01 PM »
Oakland has all the cap room in the universe. Why don't they want him? Why should we if they don't?
“Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.” -- John F. Kennedy.

Offline jthiel86

• HOF Member
« Reply #38 on: March 10, 2014, 11:08:34 PM »
Oakland has all the cap room in the universe. Why don't they want him? Why should we if they don't?

That's the "millions" dollar question. If you look at his career stats, last year was his only truly great year.
If you're gonna be dumb, you've gotta be tough.

Offline Half Empty

• HOF Member
« Reply #39 on: March 11, 2014, 05:36:26 AM »

That's the "millions" dollar question. If you look at his career stats, last year was his only truly great year.

Don't know a thing about Oakland's DL, but maybe their guys aren't too bad (and, how do we know that they don't want him?).  The Pack, on the other hand had obvious deficiencies there last year, and currently have a DL of Jones (underwhelming rookie last year), Wilson (one-trick pony), Boyd (backup), Daniels (situational player because of size), and Worthy (injured for a lot of his time).  I'd say the Pack should be kicking tires on anybody that's available, regardless of what other teams are doing.. 

Offline philepps85

• All Pro
« Reply #40 on: March 11, 2014, 06:33:50 AM »

It's unfair to judge based on stats. His first couple of years, Houston was an interior lineman and they don't typically put up big numbers. He also wasn't initially a full-time player. His sack numbers may not be gaudy, but try to find another lineman with double-digit sack potential who racks up as many tackles in the run game as he does.

I'm not inside Reggie McKenzie's head to know why the Raiders are ignoring him. He has tremendous size for a defensive end. Given that, it's possible he's a better fit for a 3-4 — although the Bears clearly disagree.

The bubbles keep bursting. Now the reports indicate the Colts will sign Arthur Jones for $6-7M per year.

Offline SSG

• HOF Member
« Reply #41 on: March 11, 2014, 11:05:09 AM »
I think I'd rather have Miami's pair of UFA DTs Soliai and Starks than Jones and Houston. 
Act your age, not your shoe size.

Offline Donzo

• HOF Member
  • Living the Dream
« Reply #42 on: March 11, 2014, 11:40:03 AM »
I like Jones, but the talk is he's getting $6m+ a year, no thanks to that.

I agree on Soliai... If the Packers signed him, that would be enough for me. Add a high draft pick & some other lower level talent for competition and call it a day on the DL.

Offline Mazrimiv

• HOF Member
« Reply #43 on: March 11, 2014, 01:29:38 PM »
Per Schefter: Jones to IND, Houston to CHI

Offline philepps85

• All Pro
« Reply #44 on: March 11, 2014, 01:37:58 PM »
Sigh ... now I know how Charlie Brown felt when Lucy kept pulling the ball away. I fell for it again.

I KNEW the Rapoport report was garbage, yet I got sucked in anyway when the Packers got linked to two prime free agents at a position of dire need. Took all of 48 hours to come off that high.

Stupid media hacks. Now fans will be angry with TT for no reason.