October 15, 2019, 04:56:13 PM

Author Topic: Free Agency Day 1  (Read 12067 times)

Offline Lodestar

• HOF Member
Re: Free Agency Day 1
« Reply #15 on: March 11, 2014, 06:57:01 PM »
Byrd to the Saints....a lot of folks will be upset about that one eh?

6 years, $54 million, $28 million guaranteed.

Edit: NFL.com is saying $56 million total
« Last Edit: March 11, 2014, 07:03:54 PM by Lodestar »

Offline Beagle

• HOF Member
« Reply #16 on: March 11, 2014, 07:00:38 PM »

I knew we had no chance of signing him but, yea, sort of not happy at all about that one.

That is a good signing and easily within acceptable salary range.

The Saints have the best safeties in the league now and I'll get to watch them first hand when I see the Packers play down there next season.

Wow.

Saints agreed to terms with S Jairus Byrd, formerly of the Bills, on a six-year, $54 million contract.

The deal includes $28 million guaranteed, which is $6 million more than Dashon Goldson got last offseason. Byrd got his wish, after all. Just like that, the Saints have one of the league's best safety duos, with Byrd joining ascendant second-year pro Kenny Vaccaro. One of the league's elite center fielders, Byrd is going to have ample opportunity to make plays behind DC Rex Ryan's blitzing, aggressive 3-4 front. He has 22 career picks and 11 forced fumbles across 73 games. Byrd's foot issues from 2013 are a minor concern, but he appeared in all 16 games from 2010-12. He is still only 27
« Last Edit: March 11, 2014, 07:02:34 PM by Beagle »
“It’s not whether you get knocked down, it’s whether you get up.” -V. Lombardi

Offline Lodestar

• HOF Member
« Reply #17 on: March 11, 2014, 07:05:03 PM »

I knew we had no chance of signing him but, yea, sort of not happy at all about that one.

The Saints have the best safeties in the league now and I'll get to watch them first hand when I see the Packers play down there next season.

Wow.

Saints agreed to terms with S Jairus Byrd, formerly of the Bills, on a six-year, $54 million contract.

The deal includes $28 million guaranteed, which is $6 million more than Dashon Goldson got last offseason. Byrd got his wish, after all. Just like that, the Saints have one of the league's best safety duos, with Byrd joining ascendant second-year pro Kenny Vaccaro. One of the league's elite center fielders, Byrd is going to have ample opportunity to make plays behind DC Rex Ryan's blitzing, aggressive 3-4 front. He has 22 career picks and 11 forced fumbles across 73 games. Byrd's foot issues from 2013 are a minor concern, but he appeared in all 16 games from 2010-12. He is still only 27

Getting off topic here but I think the Seahawks might contest that -- and I'm seeing the Packers play them in Seattle next year  ;D

Offline Zyvlyn

• HOF Member
« Reply #18 on: March 11, 2014, 07:07:36 PM »

Wow.

Wrong brother.

This is interesting.  I thought the saints were one of the teams who were tight against the cap.  They did lose a lot of good players though, so I guess that made some room.  Didn't figure it was that much room though.

Offline Lodestar

• HOF Member
« Reply #19 on: March 11, 2014, 07:10:33 PM »
ESPN is reporting that the 49ers are trading for Jonathan Martin.

Offline Beagle

• HOF Member
« Reply #20 on: March 11, 2014, 07:11:34 PM »
Getting off topic here but I think the Seahawks might contest that -- and I'm seeing the Packers play them in Seattle next year  ;D

Yea, Seahawks have every right to contest that. They are still top dog in NFC. Have fun at the game. :)
“It’s not whether you get knocked down, it’s whether you get up.” -V. Lombardi

Offline Lodestar

• HOF Member
« Reply #21 on: March 11, 2014, 08:21:04 PM »
Aqib Talib signs with Denver for  6 years, $57 million, $26 million guaranteed!

Offline SackMan

• Second String
« Reply #22 on: March 11, 2014, 08:58:14 PM »
Speaking of what the saints did with Byrd and how tight they were rumored to be with cap, does anyone think the Byrd signing may give away the Saints plans for graham??  As in, they already know they will trade him?

If my hunch is true, any team could be a legit landing spot for graham.  I cant see tt dropping two firsts for him, but i feel like ignoring that, they have the money to pay graham and have the best offense in the nfl (remember they have to outscore megatron+bush and marshall+forte+Jeffrey four total times next year plus potential playoff matchups vs very stout ds in sf an seattle and another high octane potential super bowl matchup in the broncos).  Furthermore, before Finley was hurt, the packers had to be budgeting him at 8-10 million a year.  Once seriously hurt, it made more sense to move on...but the budget would srill hypothetically remain.  Why not increase the budget a touch more for the most dominant offensive te possibly in tge history of the nfl.  The way i see it, the only thing holding it back is tts love of drafting (and im not saying tgats a bad philosophy).

Offline Leader

• HOF Member
« Reply #23 on: March 11, 2014, 09:23:15 PM »
Speaking of what the saints did with Byrd and how tight they were rumored to be with cap, does anyone think the Byrd signing may give away the Saints plans for graham??  As in, they already know they will trade him?

If my hunch is true, any team could be a legit landing spot for graham.  I cant see tt dropping two firsts for him, but i feel like ignoring that, they have the money to pay graham and have the best offense in the nfl (remember they have to outscore megatron+bush and marshall+forte+Jeffrey four total times next year plus potential playoff matchups vs very stout ds in sf an seattle and another high octane potential super bowl matchup in the broncos).  Furthermore, before Finley was hurt, the packers had to be budgeting him at 8-10 million a year.  Once seriously hurt, it made more sense to move on...but the budget would srill hypothetically remain.  Why not increase the budget a touch more for the most dominant offensive te possibly in tge history of the nfl.  The way i see it, the only thing holding it back is tts love of drafting (and im not saying tgats a bad philosophy).

Trade Graham? Leads all TE's in all statistical categories except yards per game. Leads the NFL in touchdowns.
I've no clue what he's asking for $$$-wise but football-wise? Unless that foot injury is really bad, this guy produces "W's".

Offline Ellis269

• HOF Member
« Reply #24 on: March 11, 2014, 10:03:42 PM »
$9 million a year - for a SAFETY? That's ridiculous.

QUarterback. Left tackle. Pass rusher. #1 corner. And maybe your top pass catcher. That's where you spend your money. Gotta be smart with cap space, and devoting that kind of pay to a safety is not a good idea. I'm not upset that the Saints paid that for Byrd at all. Think it totally screws their cap structure.

Offline jthiel86

• HOF Member
« Reply #25 on: March 11, 2014, 11:06:57 PM »
IF TT gets active, and personally I thin he will, it won't be for a few days. As someone wrote, once the dust settles, the Packers will start get some players to fill some holes. But son't expect any "names". I'm listening to the archive of "Homer and Thunder", and they're busy ripping TT for not being more active. I just hope a vet Safety is in the cards.

I agree, Clemons would be the best bet at this point I would think.  I really hope we get a vet safety, unless we somehow land a stud in the draft it's gonna be ugly again.
If you're gonna be dumb, you've gotta be tough.

Offline Ellis269

• HOF Member
« Reply #26 on: March 11, 2014, 11:22:24 PM »
Outside of Ward, I think that all of the safeties that were signed today ended up overpaid. I'd like to see them bring in Chris Clemons to compete with Hyde (and hopefully a highly drafted rookie) for the FS spot. They need a competent starter, not a super-star.

Bring back Raji, Neal, EDS and maybe Finley or Quarless. Look at mid-tier guys like Clemons, Oher and Starks. Fill in the depth across the board and also free the team up to pick BPAin the draft.

Offline Mazrimiv

• HOF Member
« Reply #27 on: March 12, 2014, 03:43:28 AM »
There's not any deals made so far that I'd have really wanted the Packers to make.

It wasn't a position I was considering for FA, but I would have been very happy if GB had landed in OT Jared Veldheer at 5YR/35M.

Offline Mazrimiv

• HOF Member
« Reply #28 on: March 12, 2014, 03:46:11 AM »
As it stands now, I'm not too sure what GB plans to do with the cap space they are siting on.  Not many players left in FA that will command big contracts.

Offline ChicagoPackerFan

• HOF Member
« Reply #29 on: March 12, 2014, 04:10:08 AM »
The way the NFL is you end up over paying early in FA, still it would be nice to take a shot early FA once every few years.

Is it worth even going after the later FA, which more then likely no better then what you already have?
« Last Edit: March 12, 2014, 04:11:54 AM by ChicagoPackerFan »