October 19, 2019, 03:42:45 AM

Author Topic: Free Agency Day 1  (Read 12087 times)

Offline Sancho746

• Starter
Re: Free Agency Day 1
« Reply #30 on: March 12, 2014, 04:33:02 AM »
Not sure who's the best of what's left. Starks? Clemmons? Recent cap cuts like Ware & Peppers.

Offline golfman

• HOF Member
« Reply #31 on: March 12, 2014, 04:53:35 AM »

Michael Bennett was a real force for Seattle this year and he got $28.5 mill for 4 years.  Tyson Jackson got paid way too much.  Raise the cap a little and some of these teams spend like drunken yuppies.   crazy)

So Michael Bennett got 7.125 a year and Tyson Jackson got 6 a year. Those numbers, average yearly of contract are irrelevant. The number that matters is guaranteed money.
"Make the Packers Great Again! "

Offline Mazrimiv

• HOF Member
« Reply #32 on: March 12, 2014, 05:16:25 AM »
Unless he's looking for crazy money, I don't get why GB hasn't already come to terms with EDS.  Actually seems like GB should be willing to overpay him a little just to avoid creating a hole on the OL.  EDS has a clear role on the team, and the team has no clear cut replacement.  He wasn't signed early, so I have to assume nobody is throwing big money at him.  If EDS move on, it better be b/c someone gave him a Wells-like contract.

Offline golfman

• HOF Member
« Reply #33 on: March 12, 2014, 05:24:04 AM »
Unless he's looking for crazy money, I don't get why GB hasn't already come to terms with EDS.  Actually seems like GB should be willing to overpay him a little just to avoid creating a hole on the OL.  EDS has a clear role on the team, and the team has no clear cut replacement.  He wasn't signed early, so I have to assume nobody is throwing big money at him.  If EDS move on, it better be b/c someone gave him a Wells-like contract.

Sometimes you just have to trust the man in charge. There was panic when we lost Wells and didn't draft a center. EDS did a commendable job. No reason to think TT doesn't have confidence in a back up plan since he allowed him to test the market in the first place. EDS might be back, and he might not. Either way it's not the biggest concern on this team or the biggest hole we have to fill.

Just my two cents worth.
"Make the Packers Great Again! "

Offline ChicagoPackerFan

• HOF Member
« Reply #34 on: March 12, 2014, 06:26:20 AM »

One thing Green Bay does not need is another hole on the offensive line.
IMO it would be a mistake not to resign the guy unless he gets some really crazy money.

Offline Beagle

• HOF Member
« Reply #35 on: March 12, 2014, 06:36:25 AM »
Sometimes you just have to trust the man in charge. There was panic when we lost Wells and didn't draft a center. EDS did a commendable job. No reason to think TT doesn't have confidence in a back up plan since he allowed him to test the market in the first place. EDS might be back, and he might not. Either way it's not the biggest concern on this team or the biggest hole we have to fill.

Just my two cents worth.

That is a very good point. My issue with letting EDS walk is just that he started all 16 games at Center last year and is really starting to flourish in that position. He is a solid starter and in his prime....and now we may let him walk so we will plug an unknown guy into his position. A guy who will take a year or two to get up to speed. So we have downgraded the position, most likely. Tretter is the top candidate right now.

I know we have other more important positions to fill but at this point, it doesn't look like Free Agency will fill any spots. TT looks like he is going to do this all through the draft.

We currently have $29,338,930 to spend. At this juncture, I would say TT is more interested in locking up Nelson and Cobb and will let this Free Agency season pass by with a minor signing here or there.
“It’s not whether you get knocked down, it’s whether you get up.” -V. Lombardi

Offline SSG

• HOF Member
« Reply #36 on: March 12, 2014, 07:21:01 AM »
$9 million a year - for a SAFETY? That's ridiculous.

QUarterback. Left tackle. Pass rusher. #1 corner. And maybe your top pass catcher. That's where you spend your money. Gotta be smart with cap space, and devoting that kind of pay to a safety is not a good idea. I'm not upset that the Saints paid that for Byrd at all. Think it totally screws their cap structure.

Are they overpaid though?  The market was set last year when we signed Morgan Burnett to a 6 1/4 million per year deal.  The Safties that signed today weren't just better players last season they were substantially better.  Morgan Burnett was one of the worst starting safties in the NFL last season.   
Act your age, not your shoe size.

Offline philepps85

• All Pro
« Reply #37 on: March 12, 2014, 07:44:48 AM »
Besides the money, I think one thing working against the Packers in free agency is their insistence that every player comes for a visit.

Sure, it'd be nice to have Red Bryant come and have tea with McCarthy and play pinochle with Thompson, but most players today don't want a courtship. They want their agent to handle it all over the phone and fax back their signature on a piece of paper with the most zeroes.

Offline Hincha

• HOF Member
« Reply #38 on: March 12, 2014, 09:18:39 AM »
Are they overpaid though?  The market was set last year when we signed Morgan Burnett to a 6 1/4 million per year deal.  The Safties that signed today weren't just better players last season they were substantially better.  Morgan Burnett was one of the worst starting safties in the NFL last season.

From Spotrac site Burnett contract is following
$26M / 5 yrs / $8.2M guar.  That is $5.2M / year... but it is also back loaded with the salary, so if Packers cut Burnett prior to 2015 he does not see $10M of the total.

Will be interesting to see details of yesterdays contracts....  here is what we know for now.

Byrd            $54M / 6 yrs / $28M guar.
Whitner      $28M / 4 yrs / ? guar.
Bethea       $26M / 4 yrs / $6.5M guar.
TJ Ward      $23M / 4 yrs / $5.75M guar.
Mitchell       $25M / 5 yrs / $5.2M guar.

Will be interested if these contracts are front or back loaded...  the Byrd/Whitner contracts are excessive for me... the others are in line with Burnett if back loaded as well.

Now each of them has to live up to there contracts.... Burnett season prior to his contract, his production was good as well.  Personally I think Burnett will bounce back some this year if has someone he has confidence lining up next to him at safety.

Offline SSG

• HOF Member
« Reply #39 on: March 12, 2014, 09:50:39 AM »

From Spotrac site Burnett contract is following
$26M / 5 yrs / $8.2M guar.  That is $5.2M / year... but it is also back loaded with the salary, so if Packers cut Burnett prior to 2015 he does not see $10M of the total.

Will be interesting to see details of yesterdays contracts....  here is what we know for now.

Byrd            $54M / 6 yrs / $28M guar.
Whitner      $28M / 4 yrs / ? guar.
Bethea       $26M / 4 yrs / $6.5M guar.
TJ Ward      $23M / 4 yrs / $5.75M guar.
Mitchell       $25M / 5 yrs / $5.2M guar.

Will be interested if these contracts are front or back loaded...  the Byrd/Whitner contracts are excessive for me... the others are in line with Burnett if back loaded as well.

Now each of them has to live up to there contracts.... Burnett season prior to his contract, his production was good as well.  Personally I think Burnett will bounce back some this year if has someone he has confidence lining up next to him at safety.

I'm unsure if Sportac has it incorrect but JSOLINE and countless other sights reported the deal as a 4 year contract (from a google search results).  Unsure which one or ones are incorrect....  Eitherway, I have trouble making excuses for Burnett.  he is paid like an elite Safety and last season he was a large reason for the defensive struggles.  He is a guy that was frequently missing tackles and could never be depended on in coverage.  He seemed to blow coverages all season and wasn't learning from his mistakes.  He is being paid as if he makes others around him better not vise versa.  If he requires a higher caliber player next to him then frankly, he is vastly overpaid.   

IMO, if it is a 4 year contract and then I don't view any of the contracts out of this world.  I think Byrd is right up ther in the Best Saftey in the NFL conversation.  Whitner is one of the 3 best Strong Safteis in the NFL.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2014, 10:11:00 AM by SSG »
Act your age, not your shoe size.

Offline Beagle

• HOF Member
« Reply #40 on: March 12, 2014, 10:17:41 AM »
the Byrd/Whitner contracts are excessive for me... the others are in line with Burnett if back loaded as well.

I think Byrd was worth it and he is far better than Burnett who needs a mentor and someone to teach him the finer points of being a Safety. The 2 would have made a great tandem.

I think this was the year for TT to really make some good free agent moves and sign a couple of top tier athletes to get us back in competition with Seattle and with the 49ers. Of course Free agency, just like drafting, can be a risky business but sometimes you have to take a chance here and there.

We have over $29 million to spend and locking up Nelson and Cobb is not enough. We need more talent. We needed positions addressed via Free Agency.

I am disappointed but I knew we were not making any decent moves.

On to the draft.

Edit: The Bears just signed Jennings!  :)
« Last Edit: March 12, 2014, 10:36:37 AM by Beagle »
“It’s not whether you get knocked down, it’s whether you get up.” -V. Lombardi

Offline Hincha

• HOF Member
« Reply #41 on: March 12, 2014, 10:44:26 AM »
I'm unsure if Sportac has it incorrect but JSOLINE and countless other sights reported the deal as a 4 year contract (from a google search results).  Unsure which one or ones are incorrect....

It was a 4 year contract extension... he still had 1 year on his old deal, so it became in essence a 5 year deal in total.  That is similar to what they did with Rodgers.

Offline Lodestar

• HOF Member
« Reply #42 on: March 12, 2014, 03:56:25 PM »
Get ready to hate Golden Tate even more. He signed a five-year deal with the Lions.

Offline Hincha

• HOF Member
« Reply #43 on: March 12, 2014, 04:15:20 PM »
Get ready to hate Golden Tate even more. He signed a five-year deal with the Lions.

I would love to see the Fail Mary play out again in a Lions/Bears game.

Offline croquet

• Starter
« Reply #44 on: March 12, 2014, 04:37:13 PM »

I would love to see the Fail Mary play out again in a Lions/Bears game.

i love this.  overrated.