October 15, 2019, 09:18:54 PM

Author Topic: Free Agency Day 1  (Read 12069 times)

Offline Mazrimiv

• HOF Member
Re: Free Agency Day 1
« Reply #45 on: March 12, 2014, 05:03:36 PM »
Sometimes you just have to trust the man in charge. There was panic when we lost Wells and didn't draft a center. EDS did a commendable job.

Not right away he didn't.  There was a train wreck named Jeff Saturday between Wells and EDS.  Lang did not look especially good filling in for EDS last season, and throwing a very green Tretter out there would likely be even worse.  Has Tretter even played C before?

Offline SSG

• HOF Member
« Reply #46 on: March 12, 2014, 05:15:42 PM »
Sometimes you just have to trust the man in charge. There was panic when we lost Wells and didn't draft a center. EDS did a commendable job.

Not right away he didn't.  There was a train wreck named Jeff Saturday between Wells and EDS.  Lang did not look especially good filling in for EDS last season, and throwing a very green Tretter out there would likely be even worse.  Has Tretter even played C before?

This. 

EDS wasn't Thompson's replacement plan for Wells.  He invested heavily into Jeff Saturday for multiple seasons.  He fell onto EDS because Jeff Saturday was putrid and had no business on a NFL field.  Saying he planned that exchange is absolutely crazy.  If every position exchange goes as bad as that one did then next year is going to be an extremely rough season for the Packers.  The slugged along struggling with Jeff Saturday for 3/4 of the season. 
Act your age, not your shoe size.

Offline Lodestar

• HOF Member
« Reply #47 on: March 12, 2014, 05:32:13 PM »
The Patriots have signed Darrelle Revis -- sounds like 1 year, $12 million.

Offline SSG

• HOF Member
« Reply #48 on: March 12, 2014, 07:12:39 PM »

Thats is a helluva deal for the Pats IMO.  They get a big time upgrade at CB and they don't have to make the heavy longterm investment.  If Revis likes NE he may very well give them the home town discount a lot of players tend to give them.   

Offline Lodestar

• HOF Member
« Reply #49 on: March 14, 2014, 12:27:31 PM »
The Titans signed Wesley Woodyard. That could mean one less team in the market for CJ Mosley on draft day.

Offline Beagle

• HOF Member
« Reply #50 on: March 14, 2014, 03:32:39 PM »
The Bears kept Tillman and they may move him to Safety.

**************************************************************************************************************************************************************************
Bears re-signed CB Charles Tillman to a one-year contract.

The deal is reportedly worth "just under" $3.5 million. Tillman visited the Bucs and former Bears coach Lovie Smith in free agency, but otherwise received zero interest. Peanut was one of the league's top corners in 2012, but was ineffective as he played through injury last season. A born playmaker, Tillman is open to moving to safety. The Bears have holes at both safety and cornerback, but going on 33, safety could make the most sense for Tillman in 2014.
**************************************************************************************************************************************************************************

“It’s not whether you get knocked down, it’s whether you get up.” -V. Lombardi

Offline Hincha

• HOF Member
« Reply #51 on: March 14, 2014, 04:37:29 PM »
The Bears kept Tillman and they may move him to Safety.

Bears re-signed CB Charles Tillman to a one-year contract.

The deal is reportedly worth "just under" $3.5 million. Tillman visited the Bucs and former Bears coach Lovie Smith in free agency, but otherwise received zero interest. Peanut was one of the league's top corners in 2012, but was ineffective as he played through injury last season. A born playmaker, Tillman is open to moving to safety. The Bears have holes at both safety and cornerback, but going on 33, safety could make the most sense for Tillman in 2014.

33 years old... not bad signing for Bears at $3.5M for 1 year.

Offline golfman

• HOF Member
« Reply #52 on: March 14, 2014, 04:44:02 PM »

They also signed Brandon Browner for 17 million over 3 years. This smells of desperation to me. Brady's window is closing and they, like Denver are going all in.
"Make the Packers Great Again! "

Offline SSG

• HOF Member
« Reply #53 on: March 14, 2014, 05:26:48 PM »

They also signed Brandon Browner for 17 million over 3 years. This smells of desperation to me. Brady's window is closing and they, like Denver are going all in.

Desperation?  If anything their taking something from Seattle's play book.  Thats the best CB in the NFL next year for less than what Shields is going to make.  Then their adding another great man to man CB for less than 6 million a year.  Thats less money than we have invested into our starting CBs next season and that pair isn't just better their on a whole another level.  For a team that has struggled against the pass, these are great signings.

Offline Hincha

• HOF Member
« Reply #54 on: March 14, 2014, 07:12:54 PM »
Desperation?  If anything their taking something from Seattle's play book.  Thats the best CB in the NFL next year for less than what Shields is going to make.  Then their adding another great man to man CB for less than 6 million a year.  Thats less money than we have invested into our starting CBs next season and that pair isn't just better their on a whole another level.  For a team that has struggled against the pass, these are great signings.

I like Browner and I think it is good signing... but he will also sit the 1st 4 games of 2014 and has 1 more failed test from sitting out a whole year.  So it is not like it is not without risk.

Offline dannobanano

• HOF Member
« Reply #55 on: March 14, 2014, 10:08:28 PM »

Is that a tongue-in-cheek comment, or are you putting a spin on this to win the discussion?

Shields exceeds Revis this year only in gross dollars, not what counts against the 2014 cap. And that's the number that matters for teams.

Revis is a 1 year $12M contract, of which $11.5M is guaranteed. He counts as $12M this year.
Shields contract structure means he only counts $5.625M against the 2014 cap, accelerates to $9.25M in 2015, and then $12.125M for 2016 & 2017.

Offline SSG

• HOF Member
« Reply #56 on: March 15, 2014, 07:11:55 AM »

Is that a tongue-in-cheek comment, or are you putting a spin on this to win the discussion?

Shields exceeds Revis this year only in gross dollars, not what counts against the 2014 cap. And that's the number that matters for teams.

Revis is a 1 year $12M contract, of which $11.5M is guaranteed. He counts as $12M this year.
Shields contract structure means he only counts $5.625M against the 2014 cap, accelerates to $9.25M in 2015, and then $12.125M for 2016 & 2017.

I'm not putting spin on anything.  I thought I read that Shield was going to take home 15 million next year.  The way I understood the deal is that if Shields didn't work out that he's have made 21 million in the first two years.   

I'm not trying to win any discussion.  Some people think substantially higher of Shield than I do.  I think that a guy that struggles to tackle, a guy that was very inconsistent last year and a guy that has never played a full NFL season isn't deserving of that sort of contract.  He's making the same caliber of money as Revis despite not being anywhere near the same caliber of player. 

Offline Hincha

• HOF Member
« Reply #57 on: March 15, 2014, 08:23:08 AM »
I'm not putting spin on anything.

I'm not trying to win any discussion.  Some people think substantially higher of Shield than I do.  I think that a guy that struggles to tackle, a guy that was very inconsistent last year and a guy that has never played a full NFL season isn't deserving of that sort of contract.  He's making the same caliber of money as Revis despite not being anywhere near the same caliber of player.

Maybe not spinning... definitely not stating the facts.

Shields 4 years $39M total...  avg $9.75M yr  ($12.5M guaranteed)
Revis 1 year $12M                  avg $12M yr ($11.5M guaranteed)

Shields struggled to tackle early in career... each year he has gotten better, the other 3 big CB signings missed more time than Shields has in past 3-4 years.

I think they paid a bit too much for Shields, but I do think he is legit #1 CB in the NFL.  Only time will tell if contract was worth it.

Offline Twain

• HOF Member
« Reply #58 on: March 16, 2014, 06:17:33 AM »

I'm not putting spin on anything.  I thought I read that Shield was going to take home 15 million next year.  The way I understood the deal is that if Shields didn't work out that he's have made 21 million in the first two years.   

Revis showed he has a bad attitude when he was with the Jets.  That is costing him money, as there is risk signing him.
"The trouble ain't that there are too many fools, but that the lightning ain't distributed right."