March 25, 2019, 04:49:33 PM

Author Topic: Marshall Newhouse status?  (Read 8877 times)

AldenRoche

Marshall Newhouse status?
« on: March 13, 2014, 04:55:26 PM »
Has anyone heard anything about the status of our 2012 starting LT now that he is a free agent?

50PoundHead

Re: Marshall Newhouse status?
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2014, 05:03:32 PM »
Unemployed.

Offline golfman

• HOF Member
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2014, 05:12:13 PM »
Heard he filled out an application at the local McDonalds. Not certain if he'll get an interview yet though.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2014, 05:13:06 PM by golfman »
"Make the Packers Great Again! "

Offline JASIII

• Starter
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2014, 05:42:41 PM »
His status:  He stinks.

Offline philepps85

• All Pro
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2014, 06:18:22 PM »
Heard he filled out an application at the local McDonalds. Not certain if he'll get an interview yet though.

He'd actually be highly qualified for that. He's been letting pass rushers drive through for years.

Offline House

• Starter
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2014, 10:44:00 AM »

He'd actually be highly qualified for that. He's been letting pass rushers drive through for years.
thumbsup)

Offline OnaBadger58

• Starter
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2014, 01:59:21 PM »
I heard he was a bouncer but got fired for letting too many people in

Offline marklawrence

• Administrator
  • HOF Member
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2014, 12:29:31 AM »
We all know he was a below average NFL player.

Now why the hatred and disrespect? Is there some idea that he was just dancing around out there, not really trying, not really giving his best effort?

Or maybe you think it makes you look special to dump all over a guy whose big crime was being a 50hp guy trying to succeed at a 100hp job.

We had a desperate need. We were out of options. He tried.
“Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.” -- John F. Kennedy.

Offline Pugger

• HOF Member
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2014, 09:05:47 AM »

hysterical

I almost feel sorry for the guy.  I pray we don't bring him back tho!   :o

Offline cheech

• HOF Member
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2014, 10:21:00 AM »

Now why the hatred and disrespect? Is there some idea that he was just dancing around out there, not really trying, not really giving his best effort?

Or maybe you think it makes you look special to dump all over a guy whose big crime was being a 50hp guy trying to succeed at a 100hp job.

He showed an incredible amount of promise in his first handful of starts.  The assumption, fair or unfair, is that he should have been able to do something with that God-given talent.  Instead, he failed over and over to play through the whistle. 

Then we saw Barclay, a guy with considerably less athletic ability, work his @ss off to take that starting spot from Newhouse.  If you put Barclay's determination/attitude with Newhouse's feet you would have a fine starting RT.   
I'm right and everyone else does not have an opinion worth talking about.

57packer

« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2014, 01:50:52 PM »
Newhouse had some good qualities and I see no reason to rip on him.  This idea that he had a whole bunch of God-given talent may be over-stating it.  If he'd been that talented he wouldn't have lasted that far into the draft.  He always had limitations.  He just never found a way to overcome those limitations.  I don't think he'll play in the NFL again.  Hopefully he saved some of that close to $3mil he made in his time with the Pack.

Offline flowerpac

• Starter
« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2014, 03:42:34 PM »
you could say the samething about giacomini when he was with the Pack.  He was cut and then excelled for the Seahawks.  He has his ring and just signed multi million deal with another team.  He developed just like Newhouse can.  Stick with it Newhouse.

50PoundHead

« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2014, 07:22:45 PM »
you could say the samething about giacomini when he was with the Pack.  He was cut and then excelled for the Seahawks.  He has his ring and just signed multi million deal with another team.  He developed just like Newhouse can.  Stick with it Newhouse.

I think the thing about Giacomini is that he was a tackle-in-training when he came into the league.  He hadn't been a tackle for his entire college career and I think it just took him longer to make the adjustments he needed to make to be able to truly compete in the league.  Newhouse has had back problems in the past and I think that has made it difficult for him to be as strong as an effective tackle needs to be at this level.  I think he's agile enough, but if he doesn't get stronger, I don't know if he has a future.

Offline philepps85

• All Pro
« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2014, 08:13:01 PM »

I don't see how making a joke implies he didn't try, or is hateful, for that matter. Do Fallon, Letterman, Kimmel, Conan, Colbert, etc., hate every sitting president because they make jokes about them? No, of course not.

There are very few players I respect. Not that I disrespect them, I just don't think of them in that vein. I enjoy watching them, and that's the extent of my emotional attachment to them.

I actually think Newhouse was underrated. But he does have this reputation, and when the setup is there ...

Online craig

• HOF Member
« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2014, 06:59:05 AM »
Newhouse improved from rookie to 2nd year, but after that never got any better.  I wonder if his back injuries did weaken his effective ability to bend and drive and block with strength. 

I also think Newhouse got unfairly labeled with "quick feet", and has been somewhat unfairly judged as an underachiever as a result.  Over the years pretty much all optimistic Newhouse posts have always had "quick feet" included.  Some of the negative posts have taken the approach that he's underachieved by not becoming a good player despite these "quick feet" he supposedly has. 

Maybe I don't know what "quick feet" means.  But the overall Newhouse package to me has just looked he's too slow to compete well with NFL athletes.  Just doesn't have the quickness to keep up.  Hard to fault him for that.