October 15, 2019, 09:54:15 PM

Author Topic: Chris Clemons  (Read 6495 times)

Offline golfman

• HOF Member
Re: Chris Clemons
« Reply #15 on: March 23, 2014, 03:23:03 PM »
Right now TT is up 2 players from a compensation pick standpoint (EDS and Jones -- and a tiny bit for Newhouse).  If he were to take a flyer on Clem0ns, we'd lose a comp pick as Clemons is a UFA I believe.  I think TT factors this into consideration -- basically, would he want to give up a 5th round comp pick and pay a guy 2M/year or use that 5th rounder to draft a guy and pay him peanuts?

Just because you lose a player does not mean you get a comp pick. There is no way Newhouse's contract will warrant getting a comp pick. Not sure what EDS and Jones signed for, but I would be willing to bet there is no way we're looked at as being even based on what we paid Peppers.

Pretty silly not to look at a guy in free agency, assuming we have any interest, because of a 'potential' comp pick in 2015.
"Make the Packers Great Again! "

Offline ThatGuy284

• HOF Member
« Reply #16 on: March 23, 2014, 04:51:26 PM »
davekenya only stated Newhouse's contract may factor into the calculation "a tiny bit."  For anyone knows about the calculations involved - that may be true.   What we paid Peppers has absolutely no bearing.  He was not a free agent based on his contract expiring- He was cut by the Bears and based on that does not affect compensatory picks. 

I think GM's - and certainly TT - do in fact look at potential comp picks in who they do or do not sign (or re-sign)

The Eagles are reportedly looking to trade DeSean Jackson for as little as a 3rd round pick - the same potential pick some have projected GB will receive by letting Jennings walk last season.  I think that bears some weight for a GM.

Offline Gopackgo12

• Second String
« Reply #17 on: March 23, 2014, 05:44:32 PM »
If that's true let's trade that 3rd round draft pick for deSean Jackson haha. I still feel it would be worth it to potentially lose a 3rd or 4th round pick if we can pick up a guy like Clemons for the short run. And then draft and develop a mid round safety from this year or next years draft

Offline Leader

• HOF Member
« Reply #18 on: March 23, 2014, 06:03:11 PM »
If that's true let's trade that 3rd round draft pick for deSean Jackson haha. I still feel it would be worth it to potentially lose a 3rd or 4th round pick if we can pick up a guy like Clemons for the short run. And then draft and develop a mid round safety from this year or next years draft

We've already got him on our roster - his name is Jordy Nelson.
Statistically - they're twins:

http://espn.go.com/nfl/statistics/player/_/stat/receiving

JN played in all 16 games in 2013 - had career highs in receptions, targets and yardage - with (how many?) of those games being QB'd by Flynn and a guy off the practice squad.

I'd re-up JN and consider it money well spent - as opposed to the Diva that is DJ.

« Last Edit: March 23, 2014, 06:07:46 PM by Leader »

Offline Gopackgo12

• Second String
« Reply #19 on: March 23, 2014, 06:42:28 PM »
I know I would never want him although good player but just to much of a headache.

Offline SSG

• HOF Member
« Reply #20 on: March 24, 2014, 07:37:37 AM »

i agree, I don't think Clemons is really all that good.

Yet still a substantial upgrade over any safety we put on the field last year.  We can't ignore this position again in hopes that we can fix it in the draft or in house.  We've tried that and we've failed miserably.  This is a position group that has gotten substantially worse.  We didn't have a safety on the roster that deserved to be starting last season.  PFF had Clemons as a top 10 Safety in coverage last year.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2014, 07:46:09 AM by SSG »
Act your age, not your shoe size.

Offline Pugger

• HOF Member
« Reply #21 on: March 24, 2014, 08:21:37 AM »
I know I would never want him although good player but just to much of a headache.

Is he a headache in the locker room?

Offline Gopackgo12

• Second String
« Reply #22 on: March 24, 2014, 10:15:27 AM »
Pugged I would say everywhere, it's all about him on and off the field. My friends an eagles fan and he said he wouldn't mind seeing him go. SSG I think the same way and I don't think are in house options can do it unless they vastly improve, with them being Chris banjo and Sean Richardson. I like what banjo brings on Special teams but don't think he is a starter. It would be good to get a proven player who's been in the league and be able to give guidance to maybe a mid round pick and the safeties we already have.

Offline Lodestar

• HOF Member
« Reply #23 on: March 28, 2014, 04:59:24 PM »